ifell

Wingsuit landing next month?

I like it too, but I still don't consider crashing into a pile of cardboard boxes to fit the generally accepted meaning of "landing".

In aviation is a controlled crash considered a landing?

The actual definition of landing is "an act or process of one that lands; especially: a going or bringing to a surface." Different communities can put add whatever modifiers they want (crash, smooth, controlled, parachute, box, etc). Some landings kill. Some landings you walk away from.

Bottom line: if you start in the air, and finish on the ground... you landed.

He plans to land, and he plans to walk away from it, without using a parachute in between. That is the bottom line. Is it as elegant as doing the same without a pile of boxes? Probably not (subjective)... but it is a landing. Is it more elegant than what Stoney did a couple years ago? Probably (subjective), but that was also a landing.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I like it too, but I still don't consider crashing into a pile of cardboard boxes to fit the generally accepted meaning of "landing".

In aviation is a controlled crash considered a landing?

Fun with semantics.

land·ing (lndng)
a. The act or process of coming to land or rest, especially after a voyage or flight.
b. A termination, especially of a voyage or flight.

hmmm...

crash (krsh)
a. To break violently or noisily; smash.
b. To undergo sudden damage or destruction on impact:

To consider the difference between a crash and a landing one must take into account the intentions of the pilot.

You can kill yourself on a controlled landing and you can walk away unscathed from a major crash. You can also accidentally land, and you can intentionally crash. An aircraft or pilot can be damaged/injured if it is a crash or a landing.

The term "water landing" means an intentional terminating touchdown of an aircraft on water, be it a soft seaplane or an Airbus ditching in the river. The terms "any landing you walk away from" or "controlled crash" (in reference with aircraft carrier landings) are hyperboles. "he crashed on landing" is an acceptable term describing a combination of an intentional controlled landing that ended in some damage or injury.

The pilot here is intentionally flying his wing-suit into a pile of boxes to end a flight. Even if he hurts himself and cannot do it again, by all applicable definitions it IS a landing. We will see if it is a crash or not once the boxes are cleared away.

This is funny actually. All that fuss made about the Jeb attempt. He needs this, he needs that, the high profile chat shows, waiting for investors with mega-bucks, huge hi-tech ramps, secretive techniques, more hype, etc.

And then this regular Joe turns up with a wingsuit and some balls and simply says "just give me a pile of cardboard boxes and I'll do it next week". :)

I like it.

+0.5

Of course it is! :S
When rounds were used, pea pits allowed skydivers to land hard along with a PLF in order to avoid broken ankles. Try to tell someone who has ever PLF'd a round in the peas that they didn't actually land since they used the peas. Tell a jet pilot he didn't actually land because he had to use a runway. Tell a fighter pilot he didn't actually land on an aircraft carrier because he used a giant steel wire to catch and stop him! Using a pile of boxes, foam, or whatever else to accomplish the landing doesnt change the fact that its still a landing you nut!
:P
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

As far as I got it from his facebook status, weather does not permit flying at the moment.

We're currently gettting a month's worth of rain over a few days

To those asking for updates:

Teach a man to fish

Damn - just after I leave the UK. I lived 10 miles from Henley.

There's not much open space around there though - unless farmers fields count. There is a small airpstrip near the M4 junction 8/9 is that where he plans on landing?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

As Craig said to be fair its been pissing down with rain solid and high winds, so lets wait till the end of May at least :)

You gotta love it. All the American delays down to permits and financing and ramp construction etc. etc... and here in Britain we've just got a bloke waiting for his carboard boxes to dry outB|

Make do and mend, stuff upper lip and all that;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Some landings kill. Some landings you walk away from.

In that case, I think we've already had a whole lot of "landings" without the use of a parachute. All the no-pull fatalities would count for starters. Then there's Vesna Vulovic, Nicholas Alkemade and Alan Magee

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In that case, I think we've already had a whole lot of "landings" without the use of a parachute. All the no-pull fatalities would count for starters. Then there's Vesna Vulovic, Nicholas Alkemade and Alan Magee

Only difference is that they didn't chose to do it!

I thought it was clear the goal here was to NOT die, in fact to not even get hurt at all. That makes it different; that makes it a first.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Only difference is that they didn't chose to do it!

Alkemade chose to jump.

I thought it was clear the goal here was to NOT die, in fact to not even get hurt at all. That makes it different; that makes it a first.

You wrote that.

Alkemade chose to jump.

Alkemade chose not to burn!!!! I would do the same, but you're never going to see me willingly jump from a plane without a parachute just for fun!

Whatever the reason. it's still choice. He chose to jump.

Alkemade chose to jump.

Alkemade chose not to burn!!!! I would do the same, but you're never going to see me willingly jump from a plane without a parachute just for fun!

Whatever the reason. it's still choice. He chose to jump.

I see. nevermind