ifell

Wingsuit landing next month?

an other thing came to my mind: How about the legal aspects of the jump? I don't know the UK local laws but as far as I know you may not drop heavy objects (includes persons) without parachutes in any ICAO country.

If he exits with a parachute and does not pull - wouldn't that call for the BPA to complain?

In my eyes the speeds quoted are just not realistic and even if they were you still have to hit the boxes (with the expected low speeds he has a window of unter 2 sec. to hit) and if you hit it - 50mph forward is fast and the wrong direction for the card-box concept...

To be honest: I deeply hope this is just a big hoax! [:/]

I'm sure the complain is not one of his main concerns :-)
He did a lot of test flights with his wingsuits during the last couple of weeks and he was jumping with 2 flysights. During his practice jumps he aimed at a target and tried to flare the suit as much as possible, that's how he got the speed data.
I'm pretty sure it is not an 1.st of April joke and not a hoax.
I think it is still a very dangerous project and I wish him al the best for it.
And yes, this is a wingsuit landing, no question about that.
And I like this kind of project much more than the one that has been talked about for years and did not happen yet. We heard about this about 2 month ago and it is about to happen.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

In my eyes the speeds quoted are just not realistic and even if they were you still have to hit the boxes (with the expected low speeds he has a window of unter 2 sec. to hit) and if you hit it - 50mph forward is fast and the wrong direction for the card-box concept...

To be honest: I deeply hope this is just a big hoax! Unsure

AFAIK several early "birdman" died with solid wings in parachuting. Did anyone believe that someone could fly with wings like a hamster? Fly hamster wings as a "normal" skydive, not a stunt?

He can be a candidate for Darwin award in the worst case.B|

Survivable and walkable away from are two different things, think of the wingsuit into water at Bridge day and the outcome there.

The comparison is apples and oranges.
MUCH bigger suit with training and intentionality, and some impact experience.
However, I'm not entirely convinced it can be accomplished this way. Power to Gary and his team!

To be honest: I deeply hope this is just a big hoax! [:/]

It is not a hoax. In my view, "magic ramp" is a real hoax. Just noticed that someone asked Gary about BPA & CAA permissions on his facebook wall. It will be interesting to hear his explanation.

As far as I know, they are planning to build a box rig this Friday.

Yup, this seems way more real and doable than the ramp idea. No offense to jeb, but for the last what, 5 years, maybe more, weve heard "i need more money, we are developing a secret technology", this guy is like, "fuck, lets just stack up a bunch of boxes, ill land in it", and a couple of months later its happening. Sure hope it works, and all those speed numbers seem realistic to me, just will be hard to judge the distance. Anyone know if hes wearing a base rig for backup? Pack slider down, you could bail at 200 ft and still be relatively ok. Just remember, if you cant be safe, be spectacular.

Yup, this seems way more real and doable than the ramp idea. No offense to jeb, but for the last what, 5 years, maybe more, weve heard "i need more money, we are developing a secret technology", this guy is like, "fuck, lets just stack up a bunch of boxes, ill land in it", and a couple of months later its happening. Sure hope it works, and all those speed numbers seem realistic to me, just will be hard to judge the distance. Anyone know if hes wearing a base rig for backup? Pack slider down, you could bail at 200 ft and still be relatively ok. Just remember, if you cant be safe, be spectacular.

Slider up would be fine. 200' is well below a realistic "decision altitude"

But i'm mostly responding so this thread comes up in my "my posts" page.

He did a lot of test flights with his wingsuits during the last couple of weeks and he was jumping with 2 flysights. During his practice jumps he aimed at a target and tried to flare the suit as much as possible, that's how he got the speed data.

Did he also go foetal 5 feet above the target or roll into his back or however he is going to enter the boxes during these tests?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

The speeds mentioned seem plausible to me. He's a professional stuntman so I'm sure he is well used to working that kind of stuff out and doesn't need armchair critics analysing the data at the 11th hour, or giving him legal advice ;)

I reckon his chance of succeeding with only minor injuries is quite good.

Best of luck!

The speeds mentioned seem plausible to me. He's a professional stuntman so I'm sure he is well used to working that kind of stuff out and doesn't need armchair critics analysing the data at the 11th hour, or giving him legal advice ;)

Best of luck!

Well said.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I don't have much confidence that the man is going to be able to pitch his head and torso above the horizontal plane sufficiently prior to touchdown, but I wish him the BEST of luck in his endeavor. Seriously.

If he doesn't snap his neck and can walk away from this then I am going to shake my head in amazement and yell "FUCK YEAH!"

Best of luck!

Maybe he doesn't need people analyzing the data, but it sure is fun to look at. Gary shared a jump from a few days ago.
As someone else said, it's incredible he's gonna attempt this with just a few months in the wingsuit vs others who have claimed their intent.
In my book, Stoney will always have the first, tho.:P

I'm curious whether he'll go for a windy day, which would reduce ground speed somewhat (and kinetic energy, even more). More turbulence, shear, and speed variation is typical if it gets very windy though. A place with a good steady breeze wouldn't be bad.

In any case, he does seem to have significant box landing experience as a stuntman.

I'm curious whether he'll go for a windy day,

Sorry, I should have quoted the rest of the tweet where he says,

be looking for good weather window, please all do sun dance, and no wind dance cheers

So it appears not.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live