ifell

Wingsuit landing next month?

As I was riding to altitude today, I was thinking of Gary and this jump, and I realized that it would be possible to do the jump he is proposing without a rig. It would be such an amazing sight to see someone in the air in a wingsuit without a rig of any kind on, and the stones and skill to pull of any jump that does not require a deployment to complete is a landing in my book, even if it is a controlled crash landing.

Good luck Gary.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

So last weekend I didn't have the shoes I had when my wingsuit was made, now I have 130 or so jumps in this suit in a ~4month period so I know it really well and it flew differently because there was an inch or so difference in the thickness off the shoes.

My point being, if bigger shoes make the suit to tight forcing me to change my foot angle noticeable changes what about jumping without a rig? Does this suit have no fastback on it or a special on that is sitting under the rig compressed? what about the dead air created behind the head that would of previously smoothed by the rig? How will the lack of rig affect the fit and flying characteristics?

I have personally jumped with Gary and like him (hell I jumped his Xbird while he jumped his appache) and I am sure he has all this sorted but it is an interesting thought?

As I was riding to altitude today, I was thinking of Gary and this jump, and I realized that it would be possible to do the jump he is proposing without a rig. It would be such an amazing sight to see someone in the air in a wingsuit without a rig of any kind on, and the stones and skill to pull of any jump that does not require a deployment to complete is a landing in my book, even if it is a controlled crash landing.

Good luck Gary.

A bad spot would really suck.
But what do I know?

If he lives to jump again, he will change the future.....20 yrs from now every high class drop zone will have a swoop pond AND a big pit full of cardboard boxes for their wingsuiters.....:P

Well, I hear that some big DZs are filling in their ponds, so just a pit of boxes will be left.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I havent read anywhere he wont be jumoping without a rig on, only planning on not deploying it, very different. If anything did happen, post exit it would make sense to still have the deploy option rather than none at all.

I didn't mean to imply that he would not have a rig. It's just that as I was getting ready to exit the plane, I was going through my routine, touching handles, chest strap etc, and I realized that it would be possible to be prepping for exit from an airplane without a rig to have for a routine.

Gary will wear a rig, but the fact that he is not planning on using it just somehow hit me, it just seemed so alien to me at that moment.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Chuck, if he's got the maximum flare ninja move dialed in the same way I know it myself, I'd put money on him pulling it off clean. I've been taking parallel line potshots at canopies from a few hundred feet away for years now and especially arriving from a heavy dive, in an S-Bird its not hard to achieve a 0-5mph descent rate relativity to the canopy. I've nailed it perfect and flown past canopies losing zero altitude relative to them and only starting to drop again when I burn off too much speed about 1000 feet past. If he does that same move 20 feet up and then balls up before he runs out of runway he lives.

Those speeds he's claiming are accurate. I can do em myself on demand with a flysight on my head to back it up and get exactly as much speed as I want or set the speed/duration tradeoff whereever I want it. I worked on this prior to competing in Wings Over Gransee last year. In comp a 25 mph burn lasted 76 seconds and the trick was keeping the nose DOWN. I could have dialed it in much harder and done half that for 1/3 the time or 1/4 that for 1/8th the time or just plain zero for maybe 2, 3 seconds. He knows what he's doing and he's going to win.

And I've done a cardboard box landing myself, inadvertently from 30 feet up in a box warehouse in a bottling plant I used to work in. The column wall of boxes that went all the way to the ceiling which I was standing on collapsed under me, filled the aisle with boxes in between me and concrete, and then I landed on em. A jumbled pile of cardboard boxes full of empty 20 oz water bottles 6 feet deep and 15 feet wide on all sides filling the whole aisle made for a comfy and totally impact free landing. If it'd been 3-4 times as deep, even headfirst would have worked. I landed on my back leading with a relaxed curved spine and disappeared into the pile. The boxes and bottles within just went crunch and absorbed ALL the energy. That was a lethal drop onto what had been solid concrete 3 seconds before I got there and I didn't even get an abrasion. No bumps, no bruises, not even a sore spot. I walked away from that fall totally 100% unharmed. The guy working with me at the time thought he'd just seen me die. I popped out of the pile a moment later like it was nothing going "That was great! Lets do that again!" and the look on his face was priceless.
I bet he pulls it off. Unless he screws it up, he's going to walk away.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

A good explanation from the One show on the BBC for those in the UK. Starts at about 9 1/2 mins if you don't want to sit through Matt Lucas first.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01fhw9b/hd/The_One_Show_04_04_2012/

He will die or have multiple fractures.

Even the largest wingsuit available today still too small and fast yet for landing. It's not the right time yet, if he try it now he will die and not see his "landing" dream happen in a safe usable form in a few years when wingsuit design evolve a bit more.

I feel sorry for his wife and children, they have no idea the risk he's taking.
Lauren Martins - www.youtube.com/user/gisellemartins20

I under stand what you're all saying.
We don't normally crash land into some sort of pillow, cushion, or airbag.

Dang, I gotta go unlog a bunch of accuracy jumps in the peas. :D

I call it a landing, but not the most graceful. It'd be a cool accomplishment. Jeb's would be even cooler.

A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is one where you can actually use the airplane again. ;):D

Dang, I gotta go unlog a bunch of accuracy jumps in the peas. :D

I call it a landing, but not the most graceful. It'd be a cool accomplishment. Jeb's would be even cooler.

A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is one where you can actually use the airplane again. ;):D

Agreed. Whether the assist is coming from nylon above (the "normal way" for most of us) or cardboard below (the crazy stuntman way)... it's still an assist. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

This is funny actually. All that fuss made about the Jeb attempt. He needs this, he needs that, the high profile chat shows, waiting for investors with mega-bucks, huge hi-tech ramps, secretive techniques, more hype, etc.

And then this regular Joe turns up with a wingsuit and some balls and simply says "just give me a pile of cardboard boxes and I'll do it next week". :)

I like it.

This is funny actually. All that fuss made about the Jeb attempt. He needs this, he needs that, the high profile chat shows, waiting for investors with mega-bucks, huge hi-tech ramps, secretive techniques, more hype, etc.

And then this regular Joe turns up with a wingsuit and some balls and simply says "just give me a pile of cardboard boxes and I'll do it next week". :)

I like it.

+0.5

I like it too, but I still don't consider crashing into a pile of cardboard boxes to fit the generally accepted meaning of "landing".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

... I still don't consider crashing into a pile of cardboard boxes to fit the generally accepted meaning of "landing".

so what do you call many parachute landings "at any regular DZ around the world" ? might need to distribute cardboard boxes around, to do them landings "with stuntman style"
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM