jamesfreefall

R Bird - To inflate or not inflate that is the question...

OK, so i have this new R - Bird that i have yet to get to grips with.

Im rusty as hell as not done a wingsuit jump since November and when I do I will get a bit of currency up first on my exisitng Birdman Firebird before moving on to my Tonysuit R Bird

I jumped it twice last year and really struggled (I did post on here for some advice - thanks)

Before I put it on again I have been given conflicting info regarding whether to inflate or not...

Tony said inflate as more stable and easier to pull (albeit harder to collapse the wings etc) others have said keep them deflated ...

Im nervous as hell about jumping it again to be honest and tempted to sell it and stick with my Birdman Firebird R which is easy to fly !!

I found is hard to find the pilot chute too although expect there is a better technique for this too?

Advice please

Cheers

James

Though for sure harder or softer inflation makes some difference in flying fatigue, people coaching tend to put a bit to much emphasis on what it does to ones flying.

In the end its your body, arms and legs flying, and how they behave determines how the suit flies.
Having cell pressure be a bit harder or softer will not magically turn unstable flight into stable flight, not will it make one fly faster or slower to a formation.

Similar to going from an older wingsuit such as a classic to a newer (any brand) suit. There will be a different feel. And maybe (depending on skill, build, suit etc) variations in how stable or easy it flies. But the ideal thing to do is forget about the inflation.

When you're in freefall, you want to just be busy flying the suit. Not worrying in the back of your mind if you have the suit configured wrong.

In general, low cell pressure makes it easier to pull. Something you probably want for your first jumps on the suit. If you cant find the pilotchute the first time. Go back into a stable flying position, than reach your hands (symmetry!) as far back under your rig as you can (past the BOC) and than slowly move back towards the pilotchute. You'll find it easier that way.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Start with them open until you get used to the feel of the suit. Then start closing them gradually, maybe 1 inch at a time, every couple jumps. The variable pressure available is probably the greatest advantage to these zippers, just make sure the amount zippped on each wing is even. Hold them next to each other when you do it. Before you know it, the vents will be all the way closed and you will have never noticed the difference.

I use the variable airlocks as a kind of booster, makes it easier to maintain a low fallrate if I'm going for a long flight. For flocks I leave em open cause it makes the suit easier to fly dirty.

Pilot Chute technique: Practice this on the ground first.

Collapse all three wings for the pull

Touch your fingertips together behind your back

Bring your hands up so both sets of fingertips are now touching the BOC pouch

Separate your hands while dragging your fingertips across the BOC pouch. It will push any wing out of the way and put the handle into your fingers.

Practice this a lot on the ground... it works for getting around the wing and getting a clean grip on the handle with any suit.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Start with them open until you get used to the feel of the suit. Then start closing them gradually, maybe 1 inch at a time, every couple jumps. The variable pressure available is probably the greatest advantage to these zippers, just make sure the amount zippped on each wing is even. Hold them next to each other when you do it. Before you know it, the vents will be all the way closed and you will have never noticed the difference.

I just went from a Raptor to an XII for the boogie in PR and I had to unzip the wings half way to be able to flock and have a much stable deployments. The suit just wants to float with the wings fully pressurized and on deployment it's a pain to collapse the wings. I would suggest the above statement as well.
~Migs~

On Facebook