Skwrl

New Record Requirements

Someone messaged me by Facebook to tell me that the USPA has changed the rules relating to wingsuit records (again). Apparently, this means that the new California - arguably US - record for largest flock is a four way. (Either that or it is a hum drum ten way flock from Utah a few years ago; I am a little unclear on this...)

Since I don't follow any of the record discussions, can someone explain to me what is different about the new rule (compared to the old) and why the change was needed?
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

The rules at the USPA Board Meeting were not changed. All wingsuit formation rules remain the same. I was at the meeting. For any further questions or confirmation, please contact Scott Smith, the chair of the Competition Committee.
It's the Year of the Dragon.

Someone messaged me by Facebook to tell me that the USPA has changed the rules relating to wingsuit records (again). Apparently, this means that the new California - arguably US - record for largest flock is a four way. (Either that or it is a hum drum ten way flock from Utah a few years ago; I am a little unclear on this...)

Since I don't follow any of the record discussions, can someone explain to me what is different about the new rule (compared to the old) and why the change was needed?

I saw that too, but can't find anything on the USPA site to confirm it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I saw that too, but can't find anything on the USPA site to confirm it.

I just emailed Scott Smith, hopefully he can shed some light on this.

Hi Kenneth,

No rules were changed at this last meeting and no records were retired. I was just on the USPA website because someone else asked the same question and the 68-way is still the current National Record.

http://www.uspa.org/USPAMembers/RecordsAwards/ExistingRecords/National/tabid/144/Default.aspx

Blue skies,

Scott

Hi Kenneth,

No rules were changed at this last meeting and no records were retired. I was just on the USPA website because someone else asked the same question and the 68-way is still the current National Record.

http://www.uspa.org/USPAMembers/RecordsAwards/ExistingRecords/National/tabid/144/Default.aspx

Blue skies,

Scott

Thanks, Kenny.

Isn't it 6 weeks too early for an April Fools' joke?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

All RW formations will soon be retired, due to some formations only having one hand placed on an individual. The new protocol will require both hands to be firmly placed on one individual. That being said, the largest RW formation ever flown is a 6-way Cat/Sidebody. A special thanks to 5 Hour Energy for sponsoring the event.

All RW formations will soon be retired, due to some formations only having one hand placed on an individual. The new protocol will require both hands to be firmly placed on one individual. That being said, the largest RW formation ever flown is a 6-way Cat/Sidebody. A special thanks to 5 Hour Energy for sponsoring the event.

of course, this will not be announced with this level of clarity or instruction. Cryptic and unexplained declarations of records will just surface in an effort to confuse and waste the time of RW flyers everywhere.

I think the usual suspects are just trying to instigate trouble and confusion.

this usual suspect is just sitting here laughing remembering people saying 'we need records now, doesnt matter if they are not perfect cause we can change them later'.

This is the result of that impatience..congrats to the new USPA record holders!!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I would like to see something official that states changes to the grid affect existing records. At this point it is all a bunch of hogwash that again we need our decoder rings for.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

I would like to see something official that states changes to the grid affect existing records. At this point it is all a bunch of hogwash that again we need our decoder rings for.

Ive read statements that USPA will announce updates/changes on their website soon. Seems like you need to learn and be a bit more patient, instead of searching for decoder rings:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ive read statements that USPA will announce updates/changes on their website soon. Seems like you need to learn and be a bit more patient, instead of searching for decoder rings:P

The same patience that immediately posted new records...one might say this is just reciprocation. :P

All joking aside, there are no sides to this "battle" I see already forming. Rather, just simply trying to learn all the facts. It seems most people in the community are rushing to catch up. This would be a nice place to get all the proper information, so we are all informed.

Now who wants ice cream. ::counting raised hands::

I see its the old 'them against us'. Whatever makes you feel big and powerfull I suppose...;)

I see a group of wingsuiters asking for clarification on some snippets of information being "leaked". However, as usual nobody that claims to have information is actually presenting it.

If that is an us against them in your mind then I suggest it is because you and your gang intended for it to be that way.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

I'm also only commenting on information others have posted on facebook and other sources. Putting one and one together to see what two is has little to do with secret councils and whatever kind of 'gang' Im appearantly part of...:S

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

So we now have a coach proposal that was not shared with the community until a post was made on here asking for clarification.

And now this.

It sounds like some people feel the need to hide something for one reason or another.
Seriously, WTF?