skydiverkeith

Student vs Expert CYPRES

Where did you get this information? I have experience. I'm been extremely current at any given date for the last five years, I'm flying high performance wingsuits because its fun. I'm flying a low performance canopy because when I pitch while still in a carving turn on my wingsuit, it doesn't matter. Thanks for filling the quota of smart ass answers from ignorant assholes with no useful information...:P

Happy to oblige.:D
You went a whole 4 months without jumping a wing.:P
Didja go with the design you put on FB? It was nice!

I'm flying a low performance canopy because when I pitch while still in a carving turn on my wingsuit, it doesn't matter.

Crazy idea, but you may also consider stopping your turn before pitching. I think that might work!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Where did you get this information? I have experience. I'm been extremely current at any given date for the last five years, I'm flying high performance wingsuits because its fun. I'm flying a low performance canopy because when I pitch while still in a carving turn on my wingsuit, it doesn't matter. Thanks for filling the quota of smart ass answers from ignorant assholes with no useful information...:P

Happy to oblige.:D
You went a whole 4 months without jumping a wing.:P
Didja go with the design you put on FB? It was nice!

True, technically still current according to USPA, but I see your point. Yes, the FB design is the one I went with. 5 month lead time, so I've got until July to get comfy on the S Bird, new PC, Bridle, etc.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

I'm flying a low performance canopy because when I pitch while still in a carving turn on my wingsuit, it doesn't matter.

Crazy idea, but you may also consider stopping your turn before pitching. I think that might work!

Maybe you just haven't been jumping long enough to realize that sometimes you just do stupid stuff, either on purpose, on accident, or because you're still functional, but kinda brain dead from a mid air collision, hard opening, etc. You've never pitched with bad body position in a wingsuit?
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

I'm flying a low performance canopy because when I pitch while still in a carving turn on my wingsuit, it doesn't matter. :P

My four cutaways on a Sabre2 210 and one on a Storm 190 would like a word with you... They were crappy body position, all of them... Carving turns can spin up big canopies, too... Better to fix the underlying problem...

For those keeping score at home, my first cutaway was from a helmet/ring sight entanglement that makes for a great skydiver ghost story - I'm talking about the ones after that. I'm almost off my Reserve AFF.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Maybe you just haven't been jumping long enough to realize

It is quite odd that someone who hides his own experience in his profile would question/attack the experience of someone who doesn't hide his.

However, since I may not have been flying for long enough to give you any good response, please see Jeff's post above. I am certain he has been flying long enough to know what he states, and he makes the same point I would have.

I would not suggest a large suit to someone who is worried about being able to fly straight while pulling. But maybe my opinion will change once I've been jumping longer.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Maybe you just haven't been jumping long enough to realize

It is quite odd that someone who hides his own experience in his profile would question/attack the experience of someone who doesn't hide his.

However, since I may not have been flying for long enough to give you any good response, please see Jeff's post above. I am certain he has been flying long enough to know what he states, and he makes the same point I would have.

I would not suggest a large suit to someone who is worried about being able to fly straight while pulling. But maybe my opinion will change once I've been jumping longer.

Don't take it personal. I question everything and like to argue. :)
1) You can't fix the underlying problem, which is that shit happens. Period. So when it does happen, I like my nice tame seven cell loaded at 1:1.

2) I'm going to be hypercritical of advice from someone with 4 chops in 1000 jumps. Thats fucked and HE should be talking to someone about how to fix that. :P
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

Except I did already fix the problem.

Those chops were all within the first 200 wingsuit jumps I did - the last one was at least 600 jumps ago. I was able to diagnose the problem with good coaching - why else would I be talking about it?

But hey, it really doesn't matter to me if you take my advice or not. That was just my experience that I felt like sharing. Do whatever you feel like.

2) I'm going to be hypercritical of advice from someone with 4 chops in 1000 jumps. Thats fucked and HE should be talking to someone about how to fix that. Tongue

Don't worry! Having a carpet and a student Cypress, you can catch up and even get more reserve activation. B|

Means: NO

For those keeping score at home, my first cutaway was from a helmet/ring sight entanglement that makes for a great skydiver ghost story - I'm talking about the ones after that.

Video please :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

2) I'm going to be hypercritical of advice from someone with 4 chops in 1000 jumps. Thats fucked and HE should be talking to someone about how to fix that.

In turn, expect others to be hypercritical of an experienced jumper who can't figure out for himself why student cypreses are a bad idea for non-students.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

2) I'm going to be hypercritical of advice from someone with 4 chops in 1000 jumps. Thats fucked and HE should be talking to someone about how to fix that.

In turn, expect others to be hypercritical of an experienced jumper who can't figure out for himself why student cypreses are a bad idea for non-students.

Well, there is no dumb question, just more fun for us.B|

For those keeping score at home, my first cutaway was from a helmet/ring sight entanglement that makes for a great skydiver ghost story - I'm talking about the ones after that.

Video please :)

I wish I still had it. It was lost in a hard drive crash a while back. I had it on YouTube, but they killed the audio (due to copyright infringement :$), so I deleted it with the intention of re-uploading it with licensed music. But I never got a chance to before the hard drive it was housed on failed.

It's a shame, because part of it was really cool - the helmet remained attached to the main canopy. For about three minutes after it detached from my body, the camera was pointing up as the main acted as a streamer. You could watch me (under my reserve) get smaller and smaller as the helmet plummeted down and got further and further away from me. Finally - without warning - the view is from the trees where the canopy and helmet got hung up. (Summed up as "Spinning sky, spinning sky, spinning sky... trees!")

Everything was recovered a couple of weeks later, hanging from the same tree, and amazingly, everything was still working and in good condition...

A few of the guys on this forum saw the video before it got yanked from YouTube - it was the best accidental video I ever made. The moral here is don't infringe copyrights. :P

Indeed, but I'm not the one issuing unsolicited advice. Just trying to get some simple info and go have fun.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

A few of the guys on this forum saw the video before it got yanked from YouTube - it was the best accidental video I ever made. The moral here is don't infringe copyrights. :P

I think I remember that. When was it ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I think I remember that. When was it ?

The cutaway was September 2007; I posted the video December of that year.

I've been jumping since 2004 - I guess I need to update my profile.

Glad to hear that. What was the problem, and what were you loading those canopies at?

Well, since you solicited, they were loaded at slightly under 1:1 (for the Sabre2 210) and slightly over 1 (for the Storm 190). I am about 200 lbs with gear and too lazy to do the math. For what it is worth, the Storm 190 is what I've done the last 600 jumps on; I didn't change canopies to solve the problem.

The problem was poor body position, which - in my unsolicited opinion - can cause a spin up on any canopy, although of course it's easier to do on a smaller canopy than a large one. I originally thought it was the canopy, but changing canopies didn't solve the problem. So instead, I got a lot of good coaching, principally from Justin Shorb and Lurch, but also from Scott Callantine, Spot, Zach Schroedel, and Scotty Burns (I'm sure there were others, too, sorry guys...). In my case, it had a lot to do with asymmetry in my legs (one leg drop or tail open), which was actually pretty subtle, even on video. With those guys' help, I developed a whole technique by which I pitch that eliminates - or at least reduces - the problem for me.

More unsolicited thoughts: Bigger canopies are great - I fly one because I suck at landing, but wear $3.5k of camera gear on my head. But big canopies don't solve body position problems.

Okay, I'm very curious what your new (last 600 jumps) technique is. Can you elaborate? I know larger canopies spin up too, but what I mean by it not mattering is that even if it does spin up, it's not like a diving elliptical. The line twists pretty much take care of themselves.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

Okay, I'm very curious what your new (last 600 jumps) technique is.

It's really not any different than what anyone else does, it's just a lot of little kinesthetic things that I do to make me keep my body in position, in particular my legs. None of it is going to be unfamiliar to any of you; the coaching I got was to become more aware of what I was doing as it was happening. (The difference between knowing how to do something and doing it, I suppose...)

Here's what I mean: when it's pull time, after checking airspace, I close tail wing, making sure my knees and ankles come into contact with each other simultaneously and symmpetrically (i.e., neither knee is slightly in front of the other). Once they are in contact, they are glued together, they never separate until I am ready to unzip my arms (i.e., after checking airspace post-deployment). Once knees and ankles are sealed, wings go to my sides with right hand on hackey and left hand on the left part of the BOC. I arch in a position that - if you know yoga - could be called an "upward dog". If there's any turn (or more likely, wibbly wobbly motion in the air), I give it a second or two to bleed that momentum off. Pitch is a pretty standard symmetrical pitch, with arms reaching in to grab my main lift web, elbows tucked in to my sides so nothing catches air.

Pretty typical, really. I think I just had to focus on it more than some people.

Indeed, but I'm not the one issuing unsolicited advice.

You did solicit advice, you started this thread. Unfortunately you're not entitled to receive only the opinions you want to hear;)

Indeed, but I'm not the one issuing unsolicited advice.

You did solicit advice, you started this thread. Unfortunately you're not entitled to receive only the opinions you want to hear;)

Yes, I did start this thread. You should go back and read my original post. I asked a few specific questions looking for some specific information. You haven't provided any useful information and just want to be a little bitch. Fuck off troll. >:( Or not, I kinda like bantering back and forth with you. :P
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

Well, all I can say constructively is that while it's obviously not a bad thing to fly a bigger canopy, maybe it is if you're using it to paper over the cracks in your flying ability/good practice on deployment.

And if you were as confident in your deployment technique as you are internet posting maybe you wouldn't need to ask about left-field stuff like student cypreses.;) Just a suggestion!:)