niall1

Wingsuit Soaring

Actually, I said it about eight years ago. The smartest way to live through it is to surf it out on your belly with a half a snowboard attached at an angle to your torso and match the angle of a speed skiing slope. You can, by the way practice it on an olympic ski jump slope. Totally safe from take off to landing. You young guys kill me. The only pisser nowadays is that the huge Apache- type suits fly at a much flatter angle than the suits that would have previously been perfect for that ~ 50 degree slope. In this case, in my opinion, biggest is definitely not the answer.

Chuck

around the 6' mark, it "seems" that he has a pretty sustained low sinkrate during 30 seconds, on what seems to be not much more than 150m

I would say that it is one of the ways to go :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I know, but visuals can be deceiving. I fully know/see there is a definate slower fallrate happing there. But would be interested in how much.

Ive seen some jumps of Robi where the fallrate/flying seems to fully flat/level due to the terrain and camera being at an angle and the horizon not showing. Wide-angle lenses etc always make it hard to judge whats happening.

Knowing the actual fallrate and comparing it to the known +- achieveble fallrates with the suit suits used in the video, would allow us to actually see how much of a decrease in speed there is. And also allow some guess-temates as to what it would take to actually maintain level..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Now I guess that all the people who criticized and laughed at GIselle MArtins must be looking at their feet grumbling that they knew that soaring would be possible

Why's that? Did I miss the part where the wingsuiter, using the wingsuit alone, maintained level flight (or went up)?

Anyway, very, very cool video... nice job, guys.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Now I guess that all the people who criticized and laughed at GIselle MArtins must be looking at their feet grumbling that they knew that soaring would be possible

Why? Even if someone did manage to genuinely soar a wingsuit she'd still be an ignorant non jumper with a crap idea.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Why? Even if someone did manage to genuinely soar a wingsuit she'd still be an ignorant non jumper with a crap idea.

I am sorry I missed the original thread, just read it and its priceless. I dont think I'll be taking off anytime soon; dont understand why because I ran around the living room in my V4 and even after adding wooden spoons to extend my wing and change my AR I couldnt fly I just dont understand :P

Nice video though, soaring gliding or flaling very nice.:)
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Why's that? Did I miss the part where the wingsuiter, using the wingsuit alone, maintained level flight (or went up)?

Anyway, very, very cool video... nice job, guys.

You can not see the invisible rocket engine....;)

The flights look awesome! Congrats!

On to piisfish's comment. No, I am laughing at you :P.

The soaring element has been a part of all L/D numbers reported by Yuri at Smellveggan and Brento. If anything, that video is a good advert for why a wingsuit is a piss poor vehicle to soar in. In the right conditions the paraglider, hang gider etc. can stay aloft for an eternity (compared to wingsuit) .

according to google earth i measure the cliff height (actually just behind the cliff where it gets flat) where he flies between 545m and about 580-600m. I believe 6:05 is at 560m.

the big sand dune is about 900m long (from green to rocks) and 200m high

Marvelous flying. Still in stonage, just wonder what is happening the next 5 years.

With luck, the community at large will discover that the purpose of a wingsuit is not to fly like a brick.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi Jake, thanks for the lovely comment about me.

Just for the record... I'm a jumper, and you are the only ignorant here, who could not keep an argument with me about aerodynamics in that old thread.

"Jake said: ignorant with a crap idea" My idea was exactly what the guys on the video were trying to do, find the right place, with the right wind and the right size of suit (wingload) and try to soar with it, what you think it is so "crap"? I'm sorry, but the only one with crap comments is you. If top paraglider and wingsuits pilots are trying to do it, it is because they (like me) believe it is possible.

The guys together wingsuit/paragliders companies came together to try to make it happen for the first time and they almost made it, and they will try again, hopefully they will manage it and shut up guys who speak so much crap like you.

Sorry for other members about the harsh post, I'm quite sweet girl, but if Jakee approaches someone with the tone he did on the post above, then he deserve the same tone back.

Happy landings
Lauren Giselle
Lauren Martins - www.youtube.com/user/gisellemartins20

"Jake said: ignorant with a crap idea" My idea was exactly what the guys on the video were trying to do, find the right place, with the right wind and the right size of suit (wingload) and try to soar with it, what you think it is so "crap"?

That bit.

You think it's feasible to wear suits with a surface area proportional to fruitbats. That's a crap idea, and if you still think it's not a crap idea, you haven't learned anything since your last visit.

The guys together wingsuit/paragliders companies came together to try to make it happen for the first time and they almost made it, and they will try again, hopefully they will manage it and shut up guys who speak so much crap like you.

They found almost the perfect spot, in excellent conditions, used one of the biggest suits on the market and were still a long way from maintaining altitude. It's still wicked cool, but it's not what you're talking about. And if they did one day achieve what you've been talking about, it'll be nothing to do with the suits you've been daydreaming about.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

As a sailplane pilot, the act of "Soaring" with a wing suit ain't quite there YET. But damn impressive folks! I predict a RAPID evolution of this aspect of wing suit results. While it will probably be impossible to match the performance of true sailplanes, you guys will probably get close enough that a real strong ridge day will yield some very impressive flying! Some of the new sailplanes can climb with as little as 200 feet per minute of rising air, and yield best L/D glide ratios exceeding 60 to 1. But that is an amazing step in the right direction! Good Job!

It's actually quite simple to do the math on how strong a ridge day it would require to maintain altitude on a wing suit. What is the SLOWEST vertical descent speed you can obtain with the best wingsuit on the planet? Take that speed, change it to miles per hour and multiply it by 5-7. (Over simplification, but it works as a general rule for safety margin) That number will be the wind speed required blowing into the face of the ridge at a 90 degree angle. Any angle off 90 to the ridge will require proportionally higher wind speed. We in sailplanes with a roughly 40-1 glide ratio (about 200 Feet per minute descent rate) usually need around 10 kts of wind to maintain altitude at ridge top. we normally fly 50-100 feet or so from the trees laterally, at tree top height at the top of the ridge. It's alot of fun to fly the ridge at 130 kts watching trees zip by!

My guess is you will need 30+ kts of wind to hold altitude, more if you are looking to climb. What kind of descent rates are y'all getting?
Airline Transport Pilot, Multi-Engine Land, DHC-8
Commercial Multi-Engine Sea, Single Engine Land
Private Glider