KrisFlyZ

Wingsuit Reserve Ride

in reply to "I wouldn't suggest trying to pop the pin yourself.

The flopping bridle could wrap your hand.
If you did open the container, no guarantee the bag would open with an uncocked PC.
Now you've burned altitude and might have nothing to show for it except less distance above the ground.

Leave rigging for the ground and follow your EPs. "

For newbie wingsuit training , I agree with the above.

For advanced wingsuit training , I agree with the attachment. sourced from basejumper.com

in reply to "I wouldn't suggest trying to pop the pin yourself.

The flopping bridle could wrap your hand.
If you did open the container, no guarantee the bag would open with an uncocked PC.
Now you've burned altitude and might have nothing to show for it except less distance above the ground.

Leave rigging for the ground and follow your EPs. "

For newbie wingsuit training , I agree with the above.

For advanced wingsuit training , I agree with the attachment. sourced from basejumper.com

When it is your only option, that is a no brainer. BASE PCs are often much bigger than a skydiving PC and should have enough drag to extract the freepacked canopy from the container. A small uncocked skydiving PC might not have enough umff to pull a canopy out of a d-bag. Now there is even more shit behind you that the reserve can get entangled with. There is no reason to burn up altitude if the bridle is misrouted or hung up on the container since those probably won't clear. If the suit has long grippers, they can wrap with the bridle. There is just no good reason to do in air rigging in a WS unless you have no other option. You have a reserve. Get nylon over your head and deal with the situation that arises when you have more time to handle it.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

in reply to "A small uncocked skydiving PC might not have enough umff to pull a canopy out of a d-bag. Now there is even more shit behind you that the reserve can get entangled with. There is no reason to burn up altitude if the bridle is misrouted or hung up on the container since those probably won't clear. If the suit has long grippers, they can wrap with the bridle. There is just no good reason to do in air rigging in a WS unless you have no other option."

I agree, with an uncocked PC it seems very likely you may be wasting your time to attempt a manually assisted deployment (quite different to inflight rigging) .

What if you KNOW your pc has been cocked because you can remember doing it just like every other time....and therefore it MUST be entangled ? and you KNOW you are above 4000' and still flying? because you just pitched at 4500' from full flight.

See how he brought his right arm/hand down over the top of the container , trapped the bridle from above, and dragged the bridle and PC out into clear air...all the while still flying. the bridle easily cleared his hand and grippers.
His grippers are out of the way just like for a normal deployment , in fact , his recovery movement is very similar to a normal deployment movement.
YES, we can learn from this guy !

What if your reserve PC got caught in the burble and entangled and didn't lift off? It might get entangled with the psycho uncocked/entangled main pc still floating there...and say then there wasn't enough drag to get the freebag out.
Lots of 'what ifs' here but that's what a cluster phuck can be like....phucked up.
Do we as wingsuiters know how to deal with these possibilities ? Sure go the EP's .
If that don't work . What then?
Go in from 3000' entangled attempting REAL inflight riggin with a perhaps non-existent hook knife.?

I'm thinking for an experienced wingsuiter it may be worthwhile having some practice at these movements. Then you've got another option if you need it and can decide for yourself when if ever to use it.

Ok, I'll play along, with a bunch of what ifs as well.

I know I can't see my closing pin/closed flaps when I am suited up. Depending on the distance and the angle of the PC behind me, I may or may not be able to see what it is doing. So I now will be deciding on my course of action by whether I think the PC is simply dancing in my burble, knotted/not cocked, bridle misrouted or bridle entangled. So let the hypothetical fun begin.

I pack my PC in a way that can not be done unless the PC is cocked. But let's say I a used a packer and I was in a hurry to make the load so didn't double check my pin or get a gear check. Now what type of mal do I have? Can't rule out uncocked PC.

I teach my students to follow the same EP procedures as if not jumping a WS. If they have a hesitation, while keeping wings collapsed, arch deeply and look over one shoulder. That should disturb the burble enough to free any PC that has adequate drag to open the container and extract the d-bag. If that doesn't happen, they should go silver. But let's keep playing.

OK, tried that, still having a high speed mal, now what?

For those newer WSers, pitching at 4.5 is common. But equally as common for more experienced folks is pitching in the 3.5 range. So, we pitched at 3.5, took a second to identify it as a hesitation, arched/looked and no joy. The PC didn't do its job. By this time we are down to around 3k. Let's say I reach back and pull the pin. But the PC can't lift the bag completely out of my burble and since the packer left over 3' of lines unstowed because he didn't have time to replace that last broken line stow, I now have a bigger obstacle in the way that my deploying reserve PC will have to fight its way through. I would much rather have the d-bag controlled in the container if I need to fire my reserve. The main PC/bridle presents a much smaller risk of an entanglement.

Now here is where I agree with you. If you have a double mal, keep pulling on shit until you run out of time. And this is where all that altitude/time lost by fumbling with the pin sure would have come in handy. And shame on the jumper for not having a hook knife. I seriously doubt I will ever have time to use one, but boy would I hate it if my dieing thought was "Fuck, coulda fixed this if I had my hook knife."B|

I am a firm believer if you plan for unexpected things on the ground, you will be better prepared in the sky. This now makes me want to confirm just how much I can see behind me in case the fit hits the shan. And I actually like your idea of seeing if I can reach and cleanly pull my pin with my WS on. Just in case that becomes my last option. But I'm going to do it on a creeper with someone holding the PC at full stretch out behind me, not in the air where the unexpected and hypothetical can happen. ;)

Jump an Infinity

But equally as common for more experienced folks is pitching in the 3.5 range.

Some pitch in the 4.5 range, some in the 3.5 range, and some at 2. When you pitch at 2 there isn't a lot of time to think or to "try" stuff ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

But equally as common for more experienced folks is pitching in the 3.5 range.

Some pitch at in the 4.5 range, some in the 3.5 range, and some at 2. When you pitch at 2 there isn't a lot of time to think or to "try" stuff ...

Too true. After pulling dirty low, I like time for the NSTIWTIWGTD situations.

Jump an Infinity