KrisFlyZ

Wingsuit Reserve Ride

I had a chop today

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150456066270197.359926.541965196&type=1&l=e7643369b1

1080P video is uploading it will be online in half an hour or so. Low res version is online, I have only included the link for the HD version.

http://youtu.be/qHvnoBHz8SI

Wingsuiters, I included the landing portion of the jump coz it is at that point I remembered Macca's incident from a few years back. I was planning to land towards the T in the road and then saw a gate and changed direction to land.

Looks pretty clearly to be a collapsed PC. Bridle at extension dancing around and no drag can be seen in the video and in some of the grabs. Agree with the others that noted it on this, be sure you have cocked the PC. Did you pack it or did you use a packer? Nice job on getting the reserve out...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Glad to see your ok, post reserve deployment did you cutaway your main so if your pin dislodged you would avoid a potential downplane at low altitude also did you pull in your bridle and pilot chute or did you leave it trailing?

Cheers

Fraser

He chopped it. You can see the cutaway cables in his hand later in the vid. Smart to do so, because the Dbag fell out later and hit his leg, but would have otherwise potentially been a downplane.

Good save .

Just wondering did it occur to you mid-mal , to try and dislodge the pin by reaching around and manually pulling the bridle ? Not saying you should've. You obviously handled it successfully.

I was having some poor deployments a little while ago, and on one was just thinking I might have to reach back, when it lifted off.

Anyone know how it might go if you popped the pin manually with a deflated PC?

I wouldn't suggest trying to pop the pin yourself.

The flopping bridle could wrap your hand.
If you did open the container, no guarantee the bag would open with an uncocked PC.
Now you've burned altitude and might have nothing to show for it except less distance above the ground.

Leave rigging for the ground and follow your EPs.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Just wondering did it occur to you mid-mal , to try and dislodge the pin by reaching around and manually pulling the bridle ?

Judging this picture, the pin was out. But the PC didnt have enough force to also pull the bag out..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Good save .

Just wondering did it occur to you mid-mal , to try and dislodge the pin by reaching around and manually pulling the bridle ? Not saying you should've. You obviously handled it successfully.

I was having some poor deployments a little while ago, and on one was just thinking I might have to reach back, when it lifted off.

In a V4 and not a lot of experience in it, I don't think I'd want to recommend reaching back to pull the pin either way. Lots of potential for instability at that point.

I wouldn't suggest trying to pop the pin yourself.

The flopping bridle could wrap your hand.
If you did open the container, no guarantee the bag would open with an uncocked PC.
Now you've burned altitude and might have nothing to show for it except less distance above the ground.

Leave rigging for the ground and follow your EPs.

+1

I have seen recent video if someone silly enough to reach back and pull the pin with a collapsed pilot chute in tow. Reaching back, he rolled onto his back which rolled him over and there wasn't enough drag to extract the canopy from the Dbag which left quite a mess of lines for the reserve to go through as it danced around on his back. The reserve cleared though.
Here is video @ 2:10mins

There is no excuse for jumping with an uncocked pilot chute. :S
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Others have replied already, I would just add this: what are the chances that the drag force is going to be enough to finish unstowing the lines if it was not enough to pull the pin? Very very low, i'd think. Even if it did, chances are it wouldn't be after the dbag has had time to have a little party dancing around like a raver high on LSD. At best you'd get mad twists, enormous potential for body/lines entanglement, less altitude for EP, and a huge mess for your reserve PC to clear.

I'd humbly submit that this is a very bad idea (or a really good one if what you're trying to do is to make things much much worse). Seems to me the OP did exactly what he should have (except for not cocking the PC ...)

On Jarno's picture it looks like the bridle is wrapped around the plastic pipe. If the PC was still collapsed, you can't see the handle and the fabric. You will be seeing only the mesh and just a bit of the fabric.

If I have to bet, I'll put money on the bridle wrapped around the handle.

P.S. I'm not a wingsuit pilot,but malfunction is a malfunction, right? ;)

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

On Jarno's picture it looks like the bridle is wrapped around the plastic pipe. If the PC was still collapsed, you can't see the handle and the fabric. You will be seeing only the mesh and just a bit of the fabric.

If I have to bet, I'll put money on the bridle wrapped around the handle.

P.S. I'm not a wingsuit pilot,but malfunction is a malfunction, right? ;)

Seems like a fair assessment, That's what I am seeing exactly. I would like to see how the pilot chute was stowed, I've seen tons of "creative" ways to do this.

Was there any pictures taken after the recovery of the main? Some of the screen grabs show what appears to be no bridle wrap, like the handle was pushed through the load tapes at the base of the mesh. Kinda hard to tell, but glad for the outcome and continuing discussion!

I make "tube" handle pc's with a 5/8" webb through the tube, bartacked to the reinforcing patch at the apex of the pilot chute fabric. A tube handle attatched from the center,(Hole drilled and tape or webbing put through to join to the apex makes a very good snag point. Could this be the case here?

The main was recovered. Pictures posted on his FB account. He said his mama would be proud as the PC was cocked. It was a weird looking ball of shit in the screen grabs.

Or maybe the air gremlins have been at play once again.:o:D

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

He said his mama would be proud as the PC was cocked. It was a weird looking ball of shit in the screen grabs.

:D:D That was in response to a comment DSE posted.

Anyway. The PC was found knotted without using the bridle. It wasn't like Jenn's Malfunction from 2005 FlocknDock where the monkeyfist handle went into the opening at the base of the PC.

When found the Bridle window was blue and Scotty untangled the PC and did the common test everyone does after cocking the PC, it was good. Rigger's assessment is that the PC was fully cocked and there is no kill line shrinkage.

PC was purchased in 2008 (is a 30" Cazer with the long bridle and a PVC handle) but has less than 150 jumps on it. It is like new when compared to many PCs in use at the DZ.

It was packed using the standard Mushroom technique.