WickedWingsuits

Fat Skis and Big Suits make the world go around...this year.

This is an interesting situation that happened to me today....but if you like you could consider it to be a marketing tactic. :P

I was talking to some other ski instructors today and the topic of fat skis came up. Some were convinced that a new skier should do their time on small ski's before being allowed to be on fat skis. "Fat skis make it too easy to ski
well with less skill"...

WOW, I couldn't believe the parallel I was hearing to wingsuiting....so when I got home I googled a few articles and it seems that every community loves to argue differences in designs, fads and trends....and there I was thinking I would get a weekend on the slopes away from the drama! ;)

http://espn.go.com/action/freeskiing/blog/_/post/5648471/do-fat-skis-increase-risk-injury

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=63911

http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13305

Skiing kills...the problem is when you turn up at the resort they don't tell you that. We had 2 people die on our mountain already this season....so I always think the parallels to skydiving are very similar. I think the two could learn a lot from each other.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Where fat ski's make people ski well, big suits usually emphasise shitty flying...don't fully see the paralel, aside from people using big suits as an invincible superman cape that allows em to bypass skills and upgrade the gear instead.

Fat ski's (on a normal slope) dont make normal skiing more dangerous. Big suits do. Much so for skydiving, even more in base.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I think the two could learn a lot from each other.

I Think I got it.

1st We blame the ski manufacturers for allowing people easy access to these fat skis without checking their experience level when they sell them to them.

2nd We blame the Rental shop for renting them fat skis without checking what skis they were on before.

3rd We blame their ski instructor, saying they didn't give them proper training about fat skis and when they should put them on.

4th We blame the Resort for letting them on the mountain with such fat skis

5th We blame the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association for not providing proper guidance or not publishing solid guidelines on experience levels for small, medium and fat skis .

What we don't do, is blame the ski-er, who made poor gear choices. He's not culpable or responsible for his decisions. He's not responsible for anything at all!

And then you can change fat Skis, to Small Canopies, Big Wingsuits, etc, and argue all over again!

:P_justin

in reply to "
I Think I got it.

1st We blame the ski manufacturers for allowing people easy access to these fat skis without checking their experience level when they sell them to them.

2nd We blame the Rental shop for renting them fat skis without checking what skis they were on before.

3rd We blame their ski instructor, saying they didn't give them proper training about fat skis and when they should put them on.

4th We blame the Resort for letting them on the mountain with such fat skis

5th We blame the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association for not providing proper guidance or not publishing solid guidelines on experience levels for small, medium and fat skis .

What we don't do, is blame the ski-er, who made poor gear choices. He's not culpable or responsible for his decisions. He's not responsible for anything at all!

And then you can change fat Skis, to Small Canopies, Big Wingsuits, etc, and argue all over again"

:ph34r:
Blame the victims ? nice one that, works well for abusers and institutionalised crime.

Of course its got nothing to do with the people making, advertising and selling the things.:S
How could they possibly be responsible when its so obvious they're totally irresponsible.
Like giving a kid a loaded gun and saying " He paid for it , so what's it got to do with me?"

The users/payers/consumers are all being guided towards inappropriate products and making bad decisions after being encouraged to do so by fashion misconceptions pushed on them by uncaring marketing mercenaries that create performance expectations perpetuated by aggressive marketing of products designed for experts but sold to neophytes .

Bad products have been foistered on the public before ... until they wised up.

eg Trikes (tricycle motor bikes ) killed quite a few people tipping over and generally misbehaving.
Of course it was the fault of the rider, only it wasn't the fault of the rider. those things were inherently dangerous and would even kill an expert rider quite happily.
them got banned..but replaced with something better , less inclined to tip over and kill the rider....... ie , the quad bike.
Silly experts can keep using the trikes if they're stupid enough.

How to protect a dangerous product from being banned?
easy, just blame the victim not the product and make that mindset part of the marketing ploy.
If you brainwash the right people everyone gets brainwashed....sort of.

playing the blame game is fun eh?
To play it properly you have to believe that some-one is actually to blame. Finding that some-one's IS the game.

Where's my trike .......

Interesting that you bring this up as I have considered these parallels which are aplenty.

Some days skinny skis are better than fats, sometimes if you are on skinny skis you are hugely disadvantaged. Similarly, in WS flying, there are mountains that are better flown with a big suit and mountains better suited for a small suit (many in norway come to mind) Like fat skis, big suits make performance very easy to find. Big suits also have proven to accelerate the learning curve of the sport.

A difference may be that fat skis make skiing soft snow arguably safer, while a big wingsuit brings some danger issues, however there is a flip suit to that coin... or maybe it is safer to fly a big suit in the mountains, in case you need to out fly a significant distance.

I have lots of skis. I have lots of wingsuits. It is good to be spoiled and have enought time to play with all the toys.

jt the major difference in skiing is that you can choose any size regardless of skill and saftey just preference and snow. fat skis may make thing easier. I dont know that fatter skis make it safer.
and being just a troll in wingsuits and not any experience from what I know you have to work up to bigger wingsuits if im correct
BASE 1519