virgin-burner

wingsuit FA!L

I don't totally understand how lack of inflation alone in one arm would cause this, I think there are more body position related factors. I have flown my wingsuit while turning on cameras and at other times sticking batons in my leg wing and I never had an uncommon roll like this.

I realize this is "dead air" but the effective would be the same on both wings still I think.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

well, with that specific suit there was at least one other fatality were speculation is high it was because of the same conditions/problems. and a 3rd near miss. plus a lot of non-basejumpers that reported similar. of course, in a skydiving environment, it's not as cruicial..

imagine you only wear half a wingsuit; if you're close to some solid object, whatever you do, it wont end well..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

well, with that specific suit there was at least one other fatality were speculation is high it was because of the same conditions/problems. and a 3rd near miss. plus a lot of non-basejumpers that reported similar. of course, in a skydiving environment, it's not as cruicial..

imagine you only wear half a wingsuit; if you're close to some solid object, whatever you do, it wont end well..

This is nothing like wearing half a wingsuit, there is still a boat load of fabric there.

Tape up one of your arm vents, get out of the plane, see what happens.

Deal, I am game. Want to place a bet on it because I would bet $100.00 that I don't go into an uncrontolled roll. I am 100% serious. You can even have someone sew up the vent on one side.

This is nothing like wearing half a wingsuit, there is still a boat load of fabric there.

..and that might just be the problem! ;)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

On both sides.....inflation affects performance but how much does it REALLy affect stability???

..and that might just be the problem! ;)

Tape up one of your arm vents, get out of the plane, see what happens.

Deal, I am game. Want to place a bet on it because I would bet $100.00 that I don't go into an uncrontolled roll. I am 100% serious. You can even have someone sew up the vent on one side.

Try it from a balloon. I'm as confident as you are that I can control it. If I expect it. I'm not sure how I'd respond were my wing to suddenly collapse, i'm flying towards a rock, and I have little time to make a decision.
That said, cover up front/back vents on one side of an Xbird, exit a balloon, and see what happens. I'd bet that once you transit from head low to forward flight/dive to flight, it wouldn't be stable. Even if you expect it to not be.

He did say plane....

not quite sure if you're talking about me, but i linked a video of some BASE..

what could possibly go wrong on a skydive!? DIFFERENT picture on a cliff! ;)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Ok, the plane will be a cessna 172 with exit at complete stall, and I wont tell you what vent is closed. But im a pretty shitty wingsuit pilot to begin with, so I wont even agree to attempt it.

Oh and just to spice things up, we'll make the exit altitude the same as the video, 450 meters ;)

Ok, the plane will be a cessna 172 with exit at complete stall, and I wont tell you what vent is closed. But im a pretty shitty wingsuit pilot to begin with, so I wont even agree to attempt it.

Oh and just to spice things up, we'll make the exit altitude the same as the video, 450 meters ;)

Everybody is a great wingsuit pilot 13000' in the air, having plenty of airspeed with 2 parachutes, an AAD and no ledge to clear....

Don't feel bad, I am pretty shitty too.

_justin

Why put a perfectly good Cessna at risk? Balloons are cheaper... just sayin'.

How many idiots can you fit in one plane...

What creates lift?? Negative pressure on topside of the wing. Due to the camber on the wing(profile). The camber and solidness of the wing in a suit is maintained by air pressure... This makes the air above the wing travel faster than the one underneath. In the right Angle of attack. This creates a SUCTION FORCE. This is pretty clear when you see the video. It can be compared to a inner wing stall. Its like someone holding on to one wing while the other wing is free. Try that in your hangar, and see what you can do about it.. And even in freefall, the force you will have to struggle with is way beyond what you can handle. Just 20% of lift comes from actually "skipping" on air, rest is from negative pressure -80 % suction.