WickedWingsuits

5 Manliest Hobbies You've Never Heard of

Because with the equivalent of a few weekend rentals you can own.
:S

200$/month rental looks a pretty good deal

indeed, it is a pretty good deal.

especially if someone is considering changing wingsuits (e.g: going from a beginner wingsuit to a more complex one thereafter).

And therein lies the great ignorance.

Because with the equivalent of a few weekend rentals you can own.
:S

200$/month rental looks a pretty good deal especially if someone is considering changing wingsuits (e.g: going from a beginner wingsuit to a more complex one thereafter).

Exactly. Most customers rent T Birds while waiting for the "more" complex suit to arrive.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

That's a perspective I hadn't considered.
I was spoiled when jumping different suits, always had friends with them that just loaned them to me.
Buy a used suit is also quite affordable.
:P

If you look in the classifieds you will tend to see that the production suits aren't sold at much of a saving at all....so for about 20% less you get colors that you didn't pick and probably a not so great fit. If you really want to save you have to buy older technology...they still fly of course but we all know that each generation of suits has a pretty dramatic improvement in safety, performance and ability to rig on a 10 minute call!

A wingsuit is the only piece of skydive equipment that I have ever custom ordered, I just think the fit makes such a big difference.

we all know that each generation of suits has a pretty dramatic improvement in safety, performance and ability to rig on a 10 minute call!

Rigging improvements? Definitely (although zipper designs have been around for a long time).

Performance improvements? Yeah, but maybe not "dramatic" differences every generation.

Safety? Not at all. Show me a modern wingsuit that is significantly more safe than the first Classics sold by Birdman 10+ years ago.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Slippery sleeves?
A significant safety improvement, IMHO.

When done in addition to cutaway system, a large convenience and arguably a minor safety improvement for certain situations.

When done in replacement of cutaway system, I do not agree.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

That's a perspective I hadn't considered.
I was spoiled when jumping different suits, always had friends with them that just loaned them to me.
Buy a used suit is also quite affordable.
:P

There was barely any wingsuiting at my dz going on then (2009) so there was no one to borrow suits from (plus, im barely 5'3" so the few suits around would not have fit). Luckily, that has changed this past season and there are plenty of wingsuiters and wingsuits, at least partially thanks to Wicked Wingsuits being there.

Slippery sleeves?
A significant safety improvement, IMHO.

When done in addition to cutaway system, a large convenience and arguably a minor safety improvement for certain situations.

When done in replacement of cutaway system, I do not agree.

I would say that sleeve fits into major safety improvement. I had a toggle fire on a suit that allowed me to release the other toggle immediately. On my older suit with cutaways I always wonder what the outcome would have been. I know a few people that used cutaways and failed to strip the last inch and of course the wings stayed attached.

I would also suggest that by having them be easier to rig they are therefore less likely to be rigged incorrectly which is also a safety issue.

I don't have facts, but I suspect there are far less zipper failures than there used to be, that also is a safety issue.

I know a few people that used cutaways and failed to strip the last inch and of course the wings stayed attached.

I would also suggest that by having them be easier to rig they are therefore less likely to be rigged incorrectly which is also a safety issue.

A few people/failed to strip the last inch?"

Have you actually pulled a cutaway cable on a wing? Even if you "fail to pull the last 2-3", it's not going to be a problem. :S A first experience with one demonstrates as much.
More FUD.

The "safety sleeve" improvement finally reached a valid stage when the spandex cuff was introduced at PIA last year.

Zippers have improved, but that's not a wingsuit thing. Same can be said for the zippers on boatcovers, motorcycle covers, and other high-stress zippers. Zipper manufacturers have improved their product.
Fabrics have also improved. Pressurization methods have improved. Aerodynamic design has improved. And our attention to detail and understanding of the process of wingsuiting has improved. It's genetic. It's how most any evolution occurs; we're not special.

I know a few people that used cutaways and failed to strip the last inch and of course the wings stayed attached.

A few people/failed to strip the last inch?"

Have you actually pulled a cutaway cable on a wing? Even if you "fail to pull the last 2-3", it's not going to be a problem. :S A first experience with one demonstrates as much.
More FUD.

The "safety sleeve" improvement finally reached a valid stage when the spandex cuff was introduced at PIA last year.

Zippers have improved, but that's not a wingsuit thing. Same can be said for the zippers on boatcovers, motorcycle covers, and other high-stress zippers. Zipper manufacturers have improved their product.
Fabrics have also improved. Pressurization methods have improved. Aerodynamic design has improved. And our attention to detail and understanding of the process of wingsuiting has improved. It's genetic. It's how most any evolution occurs; we're not special.

Yes I have used wing cutaway systems on a Firebird and a Phantom...unless one of my concussions is working against me I recall that it was only when the last few tabs were released would the arm actuall release from the body of the suit.

So, you could probably get away with 1 inch...as it would be in the last tab, but my point is you have to strip the cable to get wing and body disconnect.