KrisFlyZ

Was V4; X-bird1 wing inflation issue

Doubt this could happen on v4 as the arm inlets are only just above where the mlw enters the suit almost impossible for the mlw to cover it closed and have been around since v3 with nil issues, also v4 doesnt have those rediculous adjustable locks that could to me quite easily add to asemetric inflation and pressurisation not to mension added chance of rigging errors (one open one closed,one fully closed on just opened a little etc)

That's not a V4....
And that's scary video.
Aside from the inlet issue that's fairly obvious, what is the experience level?

Good question. I've seen people blow out wings in flight, and I've seen one person fly an old style tony suit (with the rsl shackles) with the wings disconnected. In each case, the person didn't just manage to stay stable... they actually flew their slot in the formation.

I will caveat by saying I've never flown an x-bird, but I have flown enough big suits with deflated wings to know they still present plenty of drag which is the main function of a wing for us meatbombs... the inflation is just icing on the cake.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've flown entire slots on a few occasions (I think Callantine might have video of one of them) where the wing was entirely blown at the arm zip to shoulder, both in largeTS and smaller PF suits. I also took video of Steve Harrington at Pepperell, flying with his leg mostly unzipped and flapping, completely in-slot.

It's quite flyable, which is why I wonder the experience level.

wow, an awesome video. very lucky to be alive. very scary. well done to the jumper, I think at various times you can see him stop kicking out the twists to momentarily steer the canopy. I would assume a very high experience level, being able to keep his cool like that. incredible that he was unhurt. kept me on the edge of the seat for the whole ride ! watched it on our new massive LCD tv and it was like i was there ! my heart was racing and my palms were sweaty.. cheers Kris for posting a frightener:o

That's not a V4....
And that's scary video.
Aside from the inlet issue that's fairly obvious, what is the experience level?

Yes i know it is not a V4. It says it right there in the video title :P.

All suits worth their salt have the scoop inlets. I thought these inlets were perfect. Doesn't seem so. Also looks like implementation details can cause inlet failure in certain conditions.

Imspartacus--Interesting. I only have the V3 and the V4, have not paid attention to how the inlets are on the X. There is a local bird that flies an X2. Never heard of these from skydivers, the inflation phase on a BASE exit must be very different conditions from the instant 100mph airspeed while skydiving.

Darren -- The proBASE race guys posted it on FB and a bunch of people shared it. U coming to FlocknDock?

Kris

I got no negative inflation issues with X-Bird. It inflates way faster than any suit around. I have to keep my wings closed for seconds and fly dirty after exit if you want to fly with other , specially if I fly base.

One of my first jumps I was first on exit, two guys wanted to follow me: one in Blade, other in V3. They were 30-50m under me after exit.....

I don't jump BASE, but I know one case someone died after a unsuccessful exit with X-Bird.

I quit. It was just too bloody scary. 5 close calls in 85 jumps, not a pattern that was looking as if it would lead to longevity. I still miss it more than any ex GF though, and constantly think screw it I should start again. I just don't think at the present time the PC storage / location / ease of access / extraction / and deployment is reliable enough to take the huge black death aspect away. I really like the video of the American guy in LB testing the wing mounted PC, things HAVE to change in regards the PC as these suits are getting stupid big now. For me, having your life rolled up in a tight little spandex pouch on your bum surrounded by huge flapping surfaces all trying to get in the way of your hand seems utter madness. It works great on skydives and continues to work OK for many on Basejumps, but seems inherently flawed and far to unreliable for someone as risk averse as me now. maybe I'm still in shock after my fumbled BOC pull years ago, or maybe I'm just old and scared, but until something changes to make PC far more reliable, i'll watch youtube and skydive.

Kris : nope, sorry , really busy in work but in a year or 2 once business loan payed off ill be over for sure.. I miss F n D and all the peeps I know from back in the day.:)

Yes
Depends what you consider high for wingsuits base jumps, probably more than I have on my apache
Yes

Fair enough. Wanted to remove the experience level as part of the causal conversation. So many guys putting on big suits at low wingsuit experience, it's a valid question. Thanks for answering.
More suggestive of wing-relevance than operator relevant.

mhm, i dont know your WS-experience for that matter, but iaside from being screwed in your head as for a requirement to basejump anyway, it's NOT a requirement to put on a WS to basejump.

but i only speak from low WS-experience and a handful of basejumps. i do stuff because i LOVE doing it, and i do it my way. i suggest, you do what you feel comfortable with. and if it means no WS-base, so be it. for me, that's cool! :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Fair enough. Wanted to remove the experience level as part of the causal conversation. So many guys putting on big suits at low wingsuit experience, it's a valid question. Thanks for answering.

I think that's more a skydiving norm then Base from what I have witnessed out jumping.

Also, there is a giant difference between a still air exit and malfunctions at speed. Symmetry is much more important on a base exit if you desire to go straight.

I have seen people turn 90-150 degrees on exit because 1 second in they started kicking their feet, and weren't symettrical. Quite interesting to watch. Probably why normal base experience is reccomended in base jumping, so you are a little more
Comfortable on exit and able to handle the blown one or any other crazy shit that can happen....

_justin

Yah this is one of those videos that made me say, oh shit if it can happen to him...

Wingsuit base isnt crazy in and of itself, but plenty of people definitely do it before they are ready. But i do think its crazier to spend $1800 on the biggest and best suit in the world and then try to slow it down enough to the glide of a decent person in a track suit...

Yah this is one of those videos that made me say, oh shit if it can happen to him...

Wingsuit base isnt crazy in and of itself, but plenty of people definitely do it before they are ready. But i do think its crazier to spend $1800 on the biggest and best suit in the world and then try to slow it down enough to the glide of a decent person in a track suit...

that takes some skills too, you know!? :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I think that's more a skydiving norm then Base from what I have witnessed out jumping.

Also, there is a giant difference between a still air exit and malfunctions at speed. Symmetry is much more important on a base exit if you desire to go straight.

I have seen people turn 90-150 degrees on exit because 1 second in they started kicking their feet, and weren't symettrical. Quite interesting to watch. Probably why normal base experience is reccomended in base jumping, so you are a little more
Comfortable on exit and able to handle the blown one or any other crazy shit that can happen....

_justin

Perhaps you're right. In our little macrocosm we see a lot of people come through here wearing big suits, low WS experience, that are heading for LB or similar.

Perhaps you're right. In our little macrocosm we see a lot of people come through here wearing big suits, low WS experience, that are heading for LB or similar.

I spent 5 weeks in LB in 3 trips last year, and 4 weeks in 2 trips this year (injury cost me 1 trip). It was more a rarity to see an in-experienced jumper in a big suit.

More common was big wingsuit skydivers in big suits with low base experience. I've seen that quitra few times.

LB accidents seem to be tracking, or experienced guys. But then again I am just going by my impressions.

_justin