jamesfreefall

Instability on my R Bird etc

Thanks for all the info / advice etc.

Im starting to think I have bought the wrong suit and am now kinda stuck with it i guess.

On the Tonysuit website it says the R-BIrd is appropriate for people with 25+ wingsuit jumps but im getting the feel from you guys out there that this is way too little.

I was hoping that with a bit of focus and lots of solo's (and maybe some coached jumps initially) I would get the hang of this beast.

James

James, as I said on FB, just give me a shout when you're next up and we'll do some flights together in your old suit and make sure you're flying is good to go, then you can see how it differs in your new suit when you're ready for it.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Those aren't flat spins, they're tumbles. ;)

Sure, did you read what the description says for the first video?

Yes.

This is commonly called a flatspin.

The description is incorrect. That is commonly called a tumble. A flat spin is on a single axis ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Screw the "relax." Just inhale/exhale. Consciously.
Exhale creates "relax." focus on keeping your jaw loose. It'll make a big difference, money-back guarantee.

Incredibly good advice. It sounds hippie/zen, but it really works. If you are aware of your breathing, you are in control.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The point is to say that it is not a flatspin. Can't be bothered to fix it though. Spent the word limit on that issue by typing here :P

Meh....I can't count the number of people (myself included) that got into speedy corkscrews or cartwheels and thought they were OMG!! FLATSPINS!!:D

In hundreds of coached jumps, never have seen an unintentional flatspin generated from a belly position. Seen a few when people are starting barrel rolls and backflying.

This constant BS I hear about "I'm heavy and so&so said I needed a big suit to compensate" is a scary thing.

This bears repeating. I'm 5'11" (180 cm) amd 350 lbs. exit weight (159 kg) and the difference in slowfall between my Prodigy I and my Supermach is only a couple of mph, but the Supermach has a radically faster forward speed and is far more responsive/unstable.

Those latter things can be an asset but they sure were a pain in the ass when I transitioned from the Prodigy to the Supermach at around 25 ws jumps.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Holy crap. You're 350 out the door?
Biggest wingsuiter I've heard of yet. What you say about getting not much better fallrate from a Mach says a lot about the physics you develop. Limited fallrate attenuation but nearly unlimited thrust.

I'd LOVE to fly with you someday. I'd learn a LOT about dynamics from that flight, be some of the weirdest profiles I ever flew to keep up with you. If I can at all. Your top speed horizontally has got to be INSANE. What kind of fallrates/forward speeds can you do? What's your top speed, do you even know? I can't even make an educated guess, but I know you have a phenomenal amount of potential and kinetic energy to work with.
Biggest bird I've flown with yet was Darius, best guess around high 200's in a GTI. Not much wing, dropped like a stone till he built up speed, then he was the fastest moving thing I ever saw in my life. I had to cut the corner on a 1 mile circle to intercept him because I could NOT move that fast through the air, period. That was a long time ago and I've become a lot faster since then, but you'd challenge me and it'd be one hell of a high energy skydive. If you ever get to Pepperell, Massachusetts look me up and we'll do some serious flying.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

when i went to the rbird i did it from an intro and for the first 10 jumps i felt very unstable and it also felt like it wanted to do a diving turn

first r-bird jump http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYReyX0aSCw

in fact you can see in the video, when i do turn i dive pretty hard after a couple jumps i got used to how it flew and what needed to be done

now im getting 3 minute flights (solo) and have no stability problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hiCN3l8Xl8

Not yet, each time ive been to DZ the weather has been awful. I have a trip to Empuria for a few days coming up and will give it a whirl again then ... maybe that wasn not the best description ;-)

Great hearing of everybody's experiences

I may even stick with my old birdman suit until the Spring when currency will improve again ....

All very frustrating - I had to wait so long for my suit and when it arrived it was season over !!

I used to get stability issues when flying too flat.
I would try a full skydive flying the suit steeper that you think would be necessary, and perhaps sweep the arm wings back a little to help with this, keeping your head lower than your toes and see how that feels.

How long did your R Bird take to arrive? I have a tony suit on order not sure what the delivery times are up to now.

Ordered it end of May / beginning of June when delivery times were meant to be 8 weeks max and got it October. To be fair, Tony had been away and the day he got back to USA he got it sorted and out to me within days - top geezer.

Website now showing a longer lead time for orders - circa 16 weeks I think form memory.

The suit feel quality .... just wish i had the skills to enjoy it !