DSE

Regaining altitude...

Of course you're right. I was caught up in the concept of wingsuits flying up.:P

Fine....how about "how do you reduce your fall rate when you are below the group, with the goal of restoring your position in a formation?"

Now that you've started the requisite thread drift, let the arguing about weights, exits, big suits, flying 180 to the formation, brand wars, fucking your friend's sister, ghey behavior, bent knees, float vs speed, slow flight, fast flocks, fat fuckers, tall thin asshats, and the price of rice in China commence....

meanwhile, I'm gonna climb relative to my mates. I wonder how you do it.;)

Well, since I'm a skinny little asshat who fly's mostly with fat fuckers, I stop flying "dirty", (arms back, legs slightly bent), and go neutral. Seems like I pop right up, and then work on getting dirty again.
How do YOU teach people to "get back up?"

I promise not to hug my balls if you don't. :P

I need more information ... are they above and behind, above, or in front of me?

Yes. :ph34r:

Above and behind I go flat, head down and turned to side, chest and stomach sucked in, shoulders rolled backwards, and knees slightly below hips.

Above I go flat, head down and turned to side, chest and stomach sucked in, shoulders neutral, and knees slightly below hips.

Above and in front I go flat, head to toes stretched, chest and stomach sucked in, and shoulders rolled forwards.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Seems a shame that with rocket scientists, surgeons, computer programmers, and unemployed trailer trash, only Butters has the ability to actually answer.

FWIW, I know what I do, I know what I teach for various scenarios, just curious about what others do or teach. Gerhard alluded to one method I teach up above.

Take a specific if it helps?

The person you're flying with is above and 50' forward.

Some of the worst near collisions I've witnessed (including one where I was at fault) are those where a low person pops up as hard as possible and nearly collides with a formation, from BELOW, at a high closing speed.

How you deal with this problem is much more important than just how you shape your body to decrease your fall rate.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Some of the worst near collisions I've witnessed (including one where I was at fault) are those where a low person pops up as hard as possible and nearly collides with a formation, from BELOW, at a high closing speed.

How you deal with this problem is much more important than just how you shape your body to decrease your fall rate.

My profile pic is after what Matt noted :o... I was just minding my business in the flock, in my slot then BAMMM. I was a target that year it seemed.

Scott C.

Edited to add Matt was NOT involved in that hit, dont want it to seem like I was saying he was. Separate things..
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

"person" would imply "one other" in your group. Method is going to vary for flocks, backflying, large groups, small groups, position in groups...ergo the concept of "one."

Charley...there's your answer per another thread.:P

Seems a shame that with rocket scientists, surgeons, computer programmers, and unemployed trailer trash, only Butters has the ability to actually answer.

How do you stand up?
Do you use your legs?
Do you use your arms and grab something?
Ninja flip?

The original question was so extremely vague, that sarcasm was the best answer!

Where is the person/flock now at?
What caused me to go low?
These are the first two questions I think about before deciding how to react to the situation.

There are so many scenarios, and each has a few solutions to correct it. There is no "ONE" way to do this, but some ways are safer than others.
Get clear of other, get up, move back into position.

Cliche but, "There is more than one way to skin a cat."
And stop trying to hug my balls!

FWIW, I know what I do, I know what I teach for various scenarios, just curious about what others do or teach. Gerhard alluded to one method I teach up above.

Is something wrong with the Phoenix-Fly representatives these days?:S

Here's a better question: how do you know where they are? ;) Somebody "above" you on a wingsuit jump is really "behind you" in the normal human (standing) frame of reference. It is impossible to look behind you while flying a wingsuit belly-down. Obviously there is a certain angle you can see by bending your neck (if they are far forward and only slightly high), but in general if they are above you, you can't see them.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Is something wrong with the Phoenix-Fly representatives these days?

As long as they don't put people in the largest suit possible for wingsuit jump #2, check legstraps and dont secretly work for other manufacturers at the same time, they still look quite safe and sane compared to some other brand reps out there;):P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Is something wrong with...:S

I made a bet with a friend on Facebook that there could be an intelligent technical discussion in this forum. He bet there could not be.
I lose.[:/]

I was "wrong" to think this forum could achieve something outside of pitching product, bitching and brandwars.

So put your Ghost3 on, roll over on your back and pop it like it's hot...

:D:D:D:D

FIFY :)

This saturday I did only 1 wingsuit flight, from 6000m, and learned A LOT. Trying to follow Geraldine, Zune and MAtt G. I was always level with them, but fuck me, these other suits are fast :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

There are many ways but here are 2 I would use for different situations.

1. Large Flock
I would de-arch my hips slightly and hug "my balls" to pop up (after checking above me for others) on level with the group and drive forward to hit my slot.

2. Small Flock
I usually drive forward with my legs and a neutral to slightly de-arched body position gaining glide ratio as I close in to the others (essentially performance flying to them) I don't like doing this with large groups because you increase your speed to the group and more flyers mean more unpredictability when coming from beneth them.

I had to at least bring up "my balls", sorry Spot
Base# 1638