DSE

Regaining altitude...

I guess Jerry Bird just doesn't know as much as you about skydiving.

I guess you don't know how to slow down your vertical fallrate (and assume Jerry doesn't either)

Right, Jerry Bird doesn't know much about skydiving at all;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

'just don't go there' is bad coaching advice either way if you're asking for actual, practical tips that help change/improve someones level. No matter how big anyones name is in the sport...

I would say Jerry Birds quote falls more in 'stating the obvious' when you (talking about you, not Jerry) don't seem to have a real answer..;):D

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I guess you don't know how to slow down your vertical fallrate (and assume Jerry doesn't either)

Well, if his only advice in regards to going low is don't then he doesn't know that much about skydiving. If you're only advice is repeating his advice, then you know even less. Do you wear a large wingsuit because you're afraid of going low and not knowing how to get back up? You can get coaching for that ... better coaching than "don't go low".

PS: What's with all the winking? Do you have something in your eye ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Well, if his only advice in regards to going low is don't then he doesn't know that much about skydiving. .

Irony score 10/10

From his citation into the Skydiving Hall of Fame:

Bird’s teams captured several national titles and four world titles. In 1983, the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) awarded Bird the Leonardo da Vinci Parachuting Diploma to recognize his accomplishments, only the second American skydiver to receive this honor.

But I'm sure you know far more about skydiving.

Well, if his only advice in regards to going low is don't then he doesn't know that much about skydiving. .

Irony score 10/10

Arrogance score 10/10.

PS: You never answered my other question. Can you backfly?

Irony score 10/10

Arrogance score 10/10.

?

:D:D

Coming from someone who claims Jerry Bird doesn't know much about skydiving, that's VERY FUNNY.:D:D

Irony score 10/10

Bird’s teams captured several national titles and four world titles. In 1983, the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) awarded Bird the Leonardo da Vinci Parachuting Diploma to recognize his accomplishments, only the second American skydiver to receive this honor.

If this is your criteria for assuming how much one knows about wingsuiting...I've coached several people with major awards, world and national championships, blahblahblah.

Several of them absolutely sucked in a wingsuit. Some of them gave up after a bit because it's so alien to them.
The question of "how many wingsuit jumps does Jerry Bird have?" is a very relevant one.

That aside, I found a CPR instruction sheet in my teamroom. It was behind the couch.

John, the ridiculousness you've brought to this thread is so far past absurd, I have to wonder if you've lost it.
A simple question, a specific question, to which you answer "follow Jerry Bird's advice." Insipid, childish, useless, condescending response, even from you. You swear you've never been low, but it's kinda funny you have to wear weights to get down to a formation. Come fly with me. I'll bet money you go low.

Coming from someone who claims Jerry Bird doesn't know much about skydiving, that's VERY FUNNY.:D:D

I never said Jerry Bird doesn't know much. I said ...

... if his only advice in regards to going low is don't then he doesn't know that much about skydiving.

Do you have trouble reading or comprehending? Still haven't answered my other question ... can you backfly? If you can't, I'm sure you can add it to the list of things you need coaching for.

He wasn't talking about dealing with malfunctions, he was talking about going low. Please pay attention.:P

Right, and this post was asking what to do once you are already low.

I'll bet even Jerry Bird went low once or twice before he turned into your hero. And since most of us are not Jerry Bird, we've all been low many times. Have you ever been low?

How did Jerry Bird recover when he went low? Or did he just divebomb to the earth, give up on his jump, and resolve to never make a mistake again?
How did you recover when you went low?
How did the rest of us recover when we went low? Hint: we already answered rather than being obtuse.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Still haven't answered my other question ... can you backfly?

Maybe Butters can teach Kallend to backfly, and Kallend can teach Butters to physics, and then the world will be a huge happy place.

We still need someone to teach Kallend how to match answers with questions, though.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Maybe Butters can teach Kallend to backfly, and Kallend can teach Butters to physics, and then the world will be a huge happy place.

What is he going to teach me? That adding weight increases disturbance, that increasing surface area increases area of disturbance, ... If I want to learn something I'll talk to Yuri.

What is he going to teach me? That adding weight increases disturbance, that increasing surface area increases area of disturbance, ... If I want to learn something I'll talk to Yuri.

It was a joke referencing each of you repeatedly asking questions the other refuses to answer. ;) His question always involves physics.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

It was a joke referencing each of you repeatedly asking questions the other refuses to answer. ;) His question always involves physics.

What do you mean? I answer his questions ...

What do you mean? I answer his questions ...

And you also wrote that a guy in the Skydiving Hall of Fame, with a major FAI award for skydiving and 4 world skydiving championships "doesn't know much about skydiving at all".

Puts YOUR contributions in context.:)

We still need someone to teach Kallend how to match answers with questions, though.

Go tell it to Jerry Bird - the quote came from him in response to an almost identical question.

Irony score 10/10

If this is your criteria for assuming how much one knows about wingsuiting...I've coached several people with major awards, world and national championships, blahblahblah.

Several of them absolutely sucked in a wingsuit. Some of them gave up after a bit because it's so alien to them.
The question of "how many wingsuit jumps does Jerry Bird have?" is a very relevant one.

That aside, I found a CPR instruction sheet in my teamroom. It was behind the couch.

John, the ridiculousness you've brought to this thread is so far past absurd, I have to wonder if you've lost it.
A simple question, a specific question, to which you answer "follow Jerry Bird's advice." Insipid, childish, useless, condescending response, even from you. You swear you've never been low, but it's kinda funny you have to wear weights to get down to a formation. Come fly with me. I'll bet money you go low.

Strawman - I never claimed that.

Misrepresenting what someone else writes is childish and insipid.

Jerry's advice is as good now as it ever was.

And you also wrote that a guy in the Skydiving Hall of Fame, with a major FAI award for skydiving and 4 world skydiving championships "doesn't know much about skydiving at all".

I never stated that Jerry didn't know much about skydiving and yet you continue to misrepresent what I wrote.

Misrepresenting what someone else writes is childish and insipid.

So you're arrogant, childish, and insipid.

Jerry's advice is as good now as it ever was.

It never was and never will be good advice for teaching someone who has gone low how to get back up ... and to think, you're a teacher.

PS: Still avoiding the questions, can you backfly?

It never was and never will be good advice for teaching someone who has gone low how to get back up ... and to think, you're a teacher.

PS: Still avoiding the questions, can you backfly?

Really? It has been repeated countless times at more world record formation skydives than you have ever been involved with, by far better skydivers than you.

So backflying is your advice to someone who's gone low. Curious. I've not found it very effective as a way to reduce fall rate.:P

As amusing as this thread has become, I cannot help but point out a possibility to some of you who continue to ask the same question over and over again expecting an answer. I've attached some pictures to illustrate my point, figure out which one applies to you and adjust accordingly. :)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

As amusing as this thread has become, I cannot help but point out a possibility to some of you who continue to ask the same question over and over again expecting an answer. I've attached some pictures to illustrate my point, figure out which one applies to you and adjust accordingly. :)

Are you implying that someone is trolling? Because that is against the forum rules and should result in a ban to prevent the forums from deteriorating.

Are you implying that someone is trolling? Because that is against the forum rules and should result in a ban to prevent the forums from deteriorating.

On the contrary, if I thought it was trolling I would have stopped this thread 2 pages ago and banned everyone in this thread on the principal that everyone was contributing to the deterioration of the forum. The forum is what the users post and make of it within the confines of the rules. If you or anyone else is not happy with the posts in the forum I suggest you look towards those who contribute to the nonsense and noise and address those individuals via PM/e-mail or in a manner that falls within the forum rules in a post. If you are able to come to the conclusion that you are one who is contributing to the noise, I suggest that in the future you abstain from making such posts for the greater good of the forum.

With that said, if anyone has anything to add that pertains to the notion of "regaining altitude" as posted by the OP, then continue to post. If you feel the need to continue to make noise and argue a point within this thread that doesn't pertain to "regaining altitude" then do it anyplace other than in this thread or forum. Failure to do so will result in the offending post(s) being deleted and said offender(s) taking a lengthy time out from the forum. If anyone wishes to discuss this with me do it via PM as it is not on topic and posts not on topic will also be removed. Thank you for everyones cooperation on making this forum a place where useful information can be shared and found.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING