BeyondBanality

Do I cutaway a step through?

heavision

I was afraid because it was so early in my training. You go through EPs over and over; but I think, looking back, that I sorta had it in the back of my head that eventually I'll have to cutaway if I keep skydiving, but odds are it'll be a long time from now.

I always knew it could happen on any jump and I thought I was ready for it even on those first AFF jumps. But I gotta admit; it startled me when it happened.

I have 78 jumps now and I feel much more comfortable as far as EPs. That experience actually helped me, sorta woke me up. Now when I pull I always have my EPs right in the front of my mind. I get clear, wave off and then as I'm reaching for my pilot chute I'm in 'ready for EPs' mode.

Plus, I now think of cutting away as just a hop 'n pop from under a crappy canopy.

Skydiving odds don't work that way.

Maybe I was lucky and got it done on jump #6. But it was a high speed horse shoe, so I didn't have any choice, or time to worry about it. At the time I was too busy to be scared about it.

It did give me a lot of confidence though.

I know guys with thousands of jumps who have never had a cutaway, and I know that it is still a small niggle in the back of their minds. Another mate had 5 in his first hundred jumps.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

>BTW what do you guys think of the other branch of post-cutaway advice I got - did you try
>to back/front flip through the risers to clear the step through?

I wouldn't fit between the 3-ring and my slider; it would be hard to see how anyone could. Risers aren't _that_ long. (And if you get stuck halfway, keep in mind that your harness is not designed to retain you in that direction.)

Yeah, I guess it would get tougher to get upside down with smaller canopies and shorter risers and some body sizes. It can take a couple tries to swing one's legs up into the risers.

I have at 6'1" and 155lb hung upside down on my Sabre 135 with 22" risers but even light pressure with feet on the risers does start it turning so it is pretty finicky. It's only when flying a 'boat' of a canopy that it becomes a bit safer. Attached are a couple pics under larger canopies, I think with big 24" risers.

(Fun and all but still not a normal response to a flip through.)

Let's say, the only canopies I'd feel somewhat comfortable attempting such a maneuver, are the canopies I also wouldn't mind landing with a flip in the risers. LoL
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.