heavision

Canopy progression question

Most of what I've read about canopy progression talks about which canopy is appropriate for your experience level, what WL is safe etc. and when and how you should progress to a smaller one and in what increments etc.

I'm wondering: do people ever just switch to a higher performance canopy, but stay at the same WL, as means of progression?

Because wouldn't it A) allow you to keep your current rig and not have to buy a new one to fit smaller canopy? B) let you demo different canopies with your own rig that you're comfortable with? C) I just realized A and B are kinda the same so....

I have no clue, this may be a terrible idea; so I'm asking. Hit me up with your wisdom!!

Go read the articles here. http://www.performancedesigns.com/resources/ And yes you can change performance, speed, fun etc without downsizing.

And absolutely no one says you have to downsize. To finish a skydive safely any parachute that lands you safely will do. To compete in Canopy Piloting requires something else entirely. And then there is everything in between.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

>I'm wondering: do people ever just switch to a higher performance canopy, but
>stay at the same WL, as means of progression?

Sure, and that can be a safe progression provided you:

1) Don't move too many platforms at once (i.e. it's not safe to go from a Spectre to a Velocity in one jump even if the sizes are similar)

2) You get good coaching and spend the time to learn how to fly each platform thoroughly

3) You don't underload the canopy. Some canopies (like Stilettos) lose some stability when you underload them. Nowadays many HP canopies have minimum loading requirements listed; for Velocities, minimum loading is 1:1.

Go read the articles here. http://www.performancedesigns.com/resources/ And yes you can change performance, speed, fun etc without downsizing.

And absolutely no one says you have to downsize. To finish a skydive safely any parachute that lands you safely will do. To compete in Canopy Piloting requires something else entirely. And then there is everything in between.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

billvon

for Velocities, minimum loading is 1:1.

And even though I really can't say I tried a Velo at 1:1 (I doubt they make Velo 180 LoL), and that's indeed the minimum WL on the chart, I have a feeling that a VE (or any other HP canopy in that category) loaded at 1:1: would be somewhat "weirdly" flying, even though it's probably OK since the manufacturer says so in the chart.
But I'd be very curious to know if people have experiences in merit.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

>I have a feeling that a VE (or any other HP canopy in that category) loaded at 1:1: would
>be somewhat "weirdly" flying . . .

Definitely. I put a few jumps on a Stiletto 190 back when my exit weight was about 195 and it was very squirrely; I would NOT have wanted to land it in turbulence. PD says that the lowest loading "varies" for that canopy but I'd want to keep it well above 1:1 (which makes it unsuitable for some people no matter what their weight.)