When Copenhagen hosts parachuting's inaugural Swoop Freestyle FAI World Championship August 25th & 26th, not only will it set the scene for the best athletes in the world but turn one of the oldest and most historic European capitals into an urban sports festival.
Combining world class sport with DJ's, live music, street food, air shows and various activities for all ages, will create a great festival feel around the World Championships. It is expected that over 200,000 spectators will visit the event at Peblinge Lake, downtown Copenhagen during the two event days. It will be possible to try tandem jumping over the city, bungee jumping, virtual reality parachuting and running across the lake in Fun Ballz.
"We want to create a festival feel around a world class sport by offering a host of activities and giving the audience a full Swoop Freestyle event experience. With different activations and touch points, the spectators will get opportunities to connect with the sport in an engaging way. We believe that by mixing world class sport with, great activities, music and street food, it will set the scene for future events in major cities where a broad activation is key," says George Blythe, CEO of A. Sports, the organizer of the Swoop Freestyle FAI World Championships.
Adrenaline packed sports festival in the heart of major cities
By taking the sport of parachuting, which is usually performed in small air fields, and bringing it into major cities, it gives the host city and local partners a great opportunity to work with potential clients and businesses.
"With the help from one of our partners, all spectators can download an app and send out their own live feed experience with a chance to be featured in different videos with other spectators both on the big screen at the venue and at the live feed going out to millions around the world," George Blythe adds and points out the mission for Swoop Freestyle: To build a world championship series in major cities worldwide such as Formula 1.
"The Swoop Freestyle FAI World Championship 2017 will not only be the first ever World Championship in urban parachuting in the heart of Copenhagen – it will also form the basis of a genuine festive celebration combining sport and spectators with a festival of side activities embracing the championship – an approach which is typically Danish," says Lars Lundov, CEO, Sport Event Denmark, the national sporting event organization that partners the event.
18 pilots from 10 different countries and with a total of 150,000 jumps between them:
- #1 Curt Bartholomew, 31 years old, USA, 8000 jumps
- #2 Nick Batsch, 35 years old, USA, 8500 jumps
- #3 Claudio Cagnasso, 28 years old, Venezuela, 6500 jumps
- #4 Ian Bobo, 46 years old, USA, 20000 jumps
- #5 Cornelia Mihai, 32 years old, UAE, 10000 jumps
- #6 Pablo Hernandez, 31 years old, Spain, 15000 jumps
- #7 David Ludvik Junior, 38 years old, USA, 16000 jumps
- #8 Marco Fürst, 26 years old, Austria, 4000 jumps
- #9 Tom Baker, 27 years old, USA, 7000 jumps
- #10 Chris Stewart, 28 years old, New Zealand, 7000 jumps
- #11 Aurel Marquet, 34 years old, France, 2900 jumps
- #12 Ulisse Idra, 27 years old, Italy, 7000 jumps
- #13 Jeannie Bartholomew, 36 years old, USA, 4000 jumps
- #14 Max Manow, 28 years old, Germany, 5000 jumps
- #15 Mario Fattoruso, 30 years old, Italy, 6000 jumps
- #16 Christian Webber, 30 years old, Denmark, 3400 jumps
- #17 Abdulbari Qubaisi, 29 years old, UAE, 6300 jumps
- #18 Travis Mills, 35 years old, USA, 13500 jumps
PROGRAM - FAI Swoop Freestyle World Championship 2017:
- Friday August 25th - Swoop Training and Swoop Night Lights
- 3.00-3.30pm (15.00-15.30): Highlights from 2016 on big screen
- 4.00-6.00pm (16.00-18.00): Swoop Training - Round 1 and 2
- 6.00-6.15pm (18.00-18.15): Fly Boards show
- 6.15-9.00pm (18.15-21.00): Swoop Sessions, live music
- 9.15-9.45pm (21.15-21.45) - Swoop Night Lights (airshow with night jumps, lighted suits and pyro)
Saturday August 26th - Swoop Qualifying of Swoop Finals
- 12.00-12.30pm: Swoop Sessions, live music
- 12.30-12.45pm: Fly Boards show
- 1.00-3.00pm (13.00-15.00): Swoop Qualifying, Round 1 and 2
- 3.30-3.45pm (15.30-15.45): Show with wingsuits, BASE and Acro paragliding
- 4.00-6.00pm (16.00-18.00): Swoop Finals, Round 1 and 2 + medal ceremony. Who will be the first world champion?
- 6.15-9.00pm (18.15-21.00): Swoop Sessions live music, and meet'n'greet with the athletes
Other activities both days:
- Tandem jumps over Copenhagen (For booking link and prices - click here)
- Water blob (rental)
- Floading couches (rental)
- Fun ballz (rental)
- Virtual Reality parachuting (rental)
- Bungeejump (rental)
FAI Swoop Freestyle World Championships 2017
- Training and Swoop Night Lights Friday August 25, Qualifying and Finals Saturday August 26 2017.
- Location: Peblinge Lake, Queen Louise's Bridge, central Copenhagen.
- 18 parachute pilots from 10 countries.
- It's the first swoop freestyle world championships ever in freestyle swooping (canopy piloting), sanctioned under the FAI, Fédération Aéronautique Internationale
Website and social media:
- Website: http://www.swoopfreestyle.com
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/swoopfreestyle/
- Instagram: instagram.com/swoopfreestyle
- Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1888604534750053/