Due to unfavorable weather conditions Michel Fournier had no choice but to postpone his attempt to jump from the stratosphere till May 2003. This is the next possible meteorological window for the Big Jump. Two attempts to launch failed: the first because of the wind which got up prematurely and the second due to a technical hitch during the inflating of the envelope.
The team of the Big Jump packed their bags, having waited up to the end for an opportunity to launch the balloon that would have raised the pressurized capsule with Michel Fournier to more than 40,000 meters from where he would have jumped.
As expected, on 20 September the jet stream strengthened to 300 kph announcing the imminent arrival of the winter and closing until next May next year the meteorological window favorable to human flight in the stratosphere. On the plains of Saskatchewan, the first snow will soon be falling but Michel's jump is not cancelled, just delayed.