Dangers of Being a Hero - Camera Safety Advice
Norman Kent is not only one of the leading skydive photographers, but he is also an advocate for safety relating to freefall photography and the use of mounted cameras within skydiving. Norman has been jumping with a camera since the mid-70s when at only 25 jumps, he strapped on a Kodak Instamatic.
Over the past 40 since, Norman has established himself as a leader in the skydiving photography world and is a well respected member of the community.
In the past, we've run several articles relating to the safety of camera usage. In 2013, Melissa Lowe published a piece titled "Hey Bro, Check Out My GoPro" which tackled the topic and included conversation with Norman Kent over the potential safety issues of the camera.
Since that time, the popularity of action camera use in extreme sports has skyrocketed, with more and more individuals focus being shifted towards the media capture side of the jump. Norman Kent has released a new video on his Youtube channel titled "Dangers of Being a Hero", in which he addresses and revisits some of the topics relating to action cam safety.
In the video Norman runs through several series of video which illustrate just how easy it is for snagging to occur on the camera, and continues to express how despite the fact that many people feel as though the risks are exaggerated, that the incidents are occurring, even if only rarely has it thus far resulted in death or injury.
"It's not the equipment itself, it's the attitude of 'it's only a GoPro'"
Norman Kent continues on in the video to look at alternate mounts that can be used to minimize snag potential and further ways in which one may be able to increase their safety when flying under a camera.
More articles in this category:
- Understanding Camera Switches - by Joel Strickland (Posted: 2017-12-12)
- Dangers of Being a Hero - Camera Safety Advice - by Bryn De Kocks (Posted: 2015-05-04)
- Hey Bro, Check Out my Go Pro - by Melissa Nelson (Posted: 2013-05-07)
- Climb Out, Freak Out, Chill Out - by Niklas Daniel (Posted: 2010-02-24)
- Camera Considerations 101 - by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Posted: 2009-08-28)
- Big BANG/Small Bucks - by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Posted: 2009-02-19)
- The GoPro Hero - by dse (Posted: 2009-02-03)
- GetHypoxic HYPEYE D Pro - by douglas spotted eagle (Posted: 2009-01-13)