Skydiver in near miss with slurry bomber
Just wanted to show you guys a video that I took this Saturday (15 June 2002). I am sure that you have heard about the fires here near Denver. We were jumping at Longmont, just north of Denver, my home DZ. There were slurry bombers flying over the center of the airport, at 3000' agl, despite several calls to the US Forestry Service.
View the Video
The tankers were not listening to the airport frequency, looking at the sectional charts that indicated that Longmont had parachute activity and didn't talk to Denver Center or Approach. The DZ was operating strictly according to USPA guidelines. The jump plane pilot tried to contact the pilots of the slurry bombers on several frequencies, to no avail.
End result - after a great head-down jump with a friend of mine, we broke off at ~6000', and I planned on falling until about 2500', and then pull. At 3000', I heard a plane fly under me from the north, and I fell in between the vertical stabilizer and elevator. Notice the tail fly under me in the video.
More articles in this category:
- Plane Crash Kills 5 in Kauai - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-05-24)
- Jump Plane Crashes Near Lodi - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-05-12)
- Inches From Death - Near Plane Collision - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-02-10)
- Gear Issues factor in death of British jumper - by Times online (Posted: 2004-03-19)
- Gulfport skydiver killed in stunt landing - by Greg Harman (Posted: 2004-01-02)
- Kiwi-built skydiving plane crashes at sea, killing pilot - by AP (Posted: 2003-12-27)
- Six killed in mid-air plane crash in Germany - by Reuters (Posted: 2003-08-23)
- BASE jumping injuries and treatment in the field - by Dexterbase (Posted: 2003-07-27)