World Championships in Freestyle Swooping Coming This August
FAI Swoop Freestyle World Championships 2017 will be the first ever World Championships in the urban parachuting discipline, freestyle swooping, and it will take place in the heart of Denmark's capital, Copenhagen, August 25 and 26 2017 - making this the premiere of a whole new urban world championship settings: Taking world class air sport to the people in the middle of great cities.
18 of the best canopy piloting athletes in the world will battle it out for the first ever world championship title in the freestyle discipline over two phenomenal days of high octane parachuting athleticism in the centre of Copenhagen. Over 100.000 spectators will be watching the event live with millions watching online and behind the screens worldwide.
The event format is the idea of two Danish entrepreneurs and in only three years, the event has grown massively and has revolutionised the sport. Swooping is the new darling of parachuting and the freestyle discipline is the most spectator friendly and adrenaline seeking within human flight.
The high-impact, adrenalin-fuelled discipline of Freestyle Canopy Piloting is known as Swooping, and involves parachutists flying at high-speed across a ‘Swooping Pond’ to score points based on style and execution.
Canopy pilots jump out of a plane or helicopter in 1,500 m/5,000 feet altitude, release the canopy straight away and start to navigate towards the surface immediately. To gain great speed, they make a series of turns before reaching ground level, and right before they make contact with the surface, they straighten out and with speeds up to 150 km/90 miles per hour, they do their freestyle trick on the water surface before landing on a platform on the water right in front of the spectators.
From local pilot project to official world championships
With the world championship stamp from the The World Air Sports Federation, FAI, the Danish organizers have gone from an idea and a pilot project to an official world championship in only three years.
"In the space of three years we have gone from an idea and pilot project with 10,000 spectators to an internationally recognised platform with hundreds of thousands now following live and behind screens across the globe. We have taken the sport on a journey, with the athletes now seeing themselves in a professional light and professional settings in the heart of major cities whereas they before were used to competing in small airports without spectators or media coverage. We have managed to bring the environment and talent together in a major project within the city and now with official recognition and the World Championship we are a step closer to realising our dream of a World Series," George Blythe, CEO of A. Sports, the organisers of the FAI Swoop Freestyle World Championships says.
International federation: We could not have a better venue than Copenhagen
"Freestyle Swooping really is one of the most exciting and dynamic air sports to watch. So it is very exciting, and my genuine pleasure, to welcome the athletes to the very first FAI Swoop Freestyle World Championships in Copenhagen. There couldn’t be a better venue than in the heart of this great city. It really is unique, and will help bring this rapidly growing sport to thousands of spectators both in the city and through the media. I would like to wish all the competitors, organisers, and volunteers a fun, safe and fair competition. I am looking forward to following this amazing event," FAI President Frits Brink said.
"The FAI Swoop Freestyle World Championships adds another dimension to our work with sporting events. Here we are talking about an event that has been developed in Denmark and now has been appointed official world championships. That fact is a cadeau to the organisers and the partners behind," says Lars Lundov, CEO, Sport Event Denmark which partners the event.
FAI Swoop Freestyle World Championships 2017
- Training and Swoop Night Lights Friday August 25, Qualifying and Finals Saturday August 26 2017.
- Location: Peblinge Lake, Queen Louise's Bridge, central Copenhagen.
- 18 parachute pilots from 12 countries.
- It's the first swoop freestyle world championships ever in freestyle swooping (canopy piloting).
More articles in this category:
- Vigil Service Bulletin - 19 April 2018 - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2018-04-24)
- Aerodyne Semi-Stowless Deployment Bag Service Bulletin - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2018-03-14)
- Swoop Freestyle FAI World Championship Program - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2017-08-04)
- World Championships in Freestyle Swooping Coming This August - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2017-07-12)
- Skydiving From a Drone - A World First - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2017-05-15)
- Para Gear Photo Submissions For Catalog #81 - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-12-02)
- Countdown To Luke Aikens Heaven Sent - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-07-21)
- Formation Flower Power At Inflight Dubai As Girls Storm To Scrambles Crown - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-04-25)