Eugene Skydivers and City of Creswell Find Common Ground
CRESWELL, Ore—Eugene Skydivers and the City of Creswell found a resolution to the long running dispute about skydivers landing on the Creswell Airport. On August 15, the city council addressed the matter during a public meeting. Community members were given an opportunity to voice their support or concerns about skydiving returning to the airport.
Two key questions were at issue for the resolution to move forward. The first was to allow skydivers to cross the airport’s runway, and the second was to settle a lawsuit filed by Eugene Skydivers’ owner Urban Moore. Following public input, the council voted to accept the agreement by passing the two issues. The votes to affirm the runway crossing and the settlement were decided by a 5-2 and 6-1 decision, respectively.
The agreement will end an eight-year battle between Eugene Skydivers and the City of Creswell. Moore declined to discuss the terms of the agreement, but states, “It’s a shame it took this long, but I’m glad the agreement is moving forward. If the resolution holds up, I look forward to a new working relationship with the city as we reintegrate onto the airport.”
A time frame has not been set for when skydiving operations will resume at the airport, but Moore expects it will take some time for all the details to be worked out. The council’s vote “definitely helped pave the way for skydiving to resume, full time at the airport, much sooner than if we continued our litigation”, stated Moore. For additional information visit www.eugeneskydivers.com or the City of Creswell’s website www.cityofcreswell.com.
About Eugene Skydivers
Eugene Skydivers opened for business in February 1992 at the Creswell Airport. The organization has served the Eugene area, Southern Oregon, and Northern California for the last 22 years. Highlights for Eugene Skydivers include exhibition jumps for businesses, charities, political campaigns, and hosting a successful Oregon State skydiving record attempt. This year more than 1000 tandem jumps were safely performed. To date, Eugene Skydivers has executed an estimated 68,000 skydives. Business operations are Thursday thru Sunday and by appointment.
More articles in this category:
- Midwest skydivers reunion set for Labor Day Weekend - by (Posted: 2014-08-04)
- Around The Bonfire - Share Your Stories - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2014-07-29)
- Skydive Tuskegee Hosting Fundraiser for Wounded Warrior - by Tyler Nelson (Posted: 2014-06-24)
- International Swoop League Competition 2014 - Results - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2014-06-05)
- Skydive Ultra 2014 - What is your next adventure - by Mark Butler (Posted: 2013-11-26)
- New iFly Indoor Skydiving Center Opens in Dallas, TX - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2013-11-20)
- Eugene Skydivers and City of Creswell Find Common Ground - by Ronn Crow (Posted: 2013-09-02)
- Sunpath - SPS B009 (23 May 2013) - by (Posted: 2013-05-31)