The 5 Most Inspiring Skydiving Videos of 2012
Each year the boundaries of skydiving are expanded, giving way to new avenues of progress and to endless possibilities. The year 2012 was a big year for the sport, with a number of records being set. But aside from the records, there are also groups or individuals who slowly push the standards up with a display of skill. Other times we're inspired more by the surroundings and the cinematography of the video. We take a look at some of the most inspiring skydiving related videos from 2012.
1. Felix Baumgartner jumps from the edge of space
One doesn't really have to say anything about this video, I'm sure everyone reading this knows all about it already, but for those that don't; on the 14th October 2012, millions of people around the world were fixed to live streaming of a world record attempt by Felix Baumgartner to set the highest ever skydive. The final confirmed exit height was 128 100 feet, allowing Felix to reach speeds of 833 mph during his freefall. Whether you love him or hate, one cannot deny the magnitude of this jump.
2. Gary Connery lands a wingsuit without a parachute
This jump had a lot of media hype, not as much as the previous video - but the idea of skydiving without a parachute was obviously a subject that brought a lot of attention. The idea has been something that Jeb Corlois had been talking about for years prior, though his idea for landing was and still is quite different. Some argue that Gary Connery's jump was less landing without a parachute, and more just crashing into a pile of boxes. Though the technicalities of the jump aside, there is something liberating about the idea of being able to exit a plane without a rig on. Over the coming years, we will not doubt see further attempts to perform the act of landing without a parachute, and this first step - was definitely a jump worth the attention.
3. Vertical Skydiving World Record
While this video was technically uploaded in early 2013, the footage is from 2012 and comprises of a record setting 138 person vertical skydiving record. The video was created as a marketing strategy by GoPro for the Hero action camera - and regardless of your POV camera preference, it's hard to argue that they didn't put together an absolutely amazing video. While only lasting just over a minute, it's a pretty awesome minute of viewing.
4. Skydive Dubai - Part 2
This video was a follow up to an extremely popular video that Skydive Dubai released originally in 2011, the original video has over 11 million views on youtube, and if you're looking to attract potential clients, what better way to do it than using viral networking to show just what an amazing place to jump Dubai is. While the footage may not show all too much groundbreaking skydiving, you can't help but want to head there immediately and get on a plane when you look at the view. If the point of a video is to get you up in the air, this video accomplishes that flawlessly. The best way to describe it, is fun!
5. Soul Flyers tear up wind tunnel
Something for all the tunnel rats out there. Soul Flyers always manage to get one amped with any video they're in and this wind tunnel video is no different. There's some absolutely amazing flying in this video and for anyone who hasn't stepped inside a tunnel yet, it may well get them wanting to. The cinematography is also extremely good for a discipline that's notoriously difficult to get good footage of.
Which of these videos inspired you the most. Let us know, or share your favorite skydiving videos of 2012 in the comments section below.
More articles in this category:
- Bill Booth - 50 Years in Skydiving (Video) - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2018-03-20)
- 10 Gift Ideas for Skydivers 2017 - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2017-11-15)
- Case Study: How to Make A Really Good Life In Skydiving - by Annette O'Neil (Posted: 2017-11-10)
- 4 Reasons You Need to Escape Wintertime and Jump in South Africa - by Annette O'Neil (Posted: 2017-10-05)
- Why You Should Give Yoga A Chance - Part 1 - by Annette O'Neil (Posted: 2017-05-23)
- The Power of the Flare - by Bryn De Kocks (Posted: 2017-05-17)
- Eating (And Breathing) Your Way to Peak Airsports Performance - Part 2 - by Annette O'Neil (Posted: 2017-05-03)
- Eating (And Breathing) Your Way to Peak Airsports Performance - by Annette O'Neil (Posted: 2017-04-19)