RSL Removal on the Javelin/Javelin Odyssey
Reserve Static Line (RSL) and the Javelin/Javelin Odyssey
Reference: This letter supersedes SPP letter regarding removal of the reserve static line (RSL) dated 16 May 2005.
1. Is the RSL a part of the TSO’ed components of the system?YES
2. Can any or all of the RSL components (RSL lanyard, hook Velcro on reserve riser, guide rings on pin flap and main riser RSL ring) be removed from a Javelin/Javelin Odyssey without voiding the TSO?
YES, however the FAA determines this to be an "alteration". This means that only a master parachute rigger can perform this action. (Ref. AC105-2c) Once the master rigger removes the requested RSL components, the alteration must be noted on both the packing data card and the master parachute riggers log book.
3. Does removal of the RSL void the TSO?
YES, this only applies if someone OTHER than an FAA master parachute rigger or foreign equivalent removes any RSL components, or the removal of the components is not logged on the packing data card.
4. Who can pack a reserve in a Javelin/Javelin Odyssey without a RSL?
As long as a master parachute rigger has indicated the removal of the components, (i.e. lanyard, rings, Velcro) on the packing data card, any senior or master rigger or foreign equivalent can repack the reserve.
5. Who can pack a main in a Javelin/Javelin Odyssey without a RSL?
As long as a master parachute rigger has indicated the removal of the components, (i.e. lanyard, rings, Velcro) on the packing data card, any senior or master rigger or foreign equivalent, anyone under the direct supervision of the afore mentioned or the person making the next jump can repack the main.
5. If I am a senior rigger and I get a Javelin/Javelin Odyssey to repack that has any or all RSL components removed, what do I do?
The senior rigger will need to check the packing data card to see if the appropriate entries have been made. If yes, then the rig is "legal" to be packed by a senior rigger. If not, the rig will need to be taken to a master rigger who can approve the alteration and note the removal of the components. The master riggers data card/log book notation is only certifying the alteration.
6. Who is authorized to remove the RSL and when?
Only a Master parachute rigger or foreign equivalent can permanently remove the RSL components thus altering the TSO’ed system. The user can "disengage" the RSL lanyard by disconnecting the snap shackle, if in an emergency situation or to avoid a possible emergency situation ONLY. The owner/jumper (unless a master rigger) is not authorized to permanently remove the RSL lanyard.
Sun Path Products, Inc. position on the removal of the RSL components remains unchanged. "Permanent removal of this part is highly discouraged and NOT recommended". However we do acknowledge situations that the user may wish to have the RSL components removed from the system or not have the system installed with the components at all. Therefore this guidance should serve as reference for fielded systems as well as new assemblies.
Systems manufactured after Feb 2007, come with the RSL/Collins lanyard as standard items. This incorporates the Marine eye reserve ripcord, Curved Reserve Pin with lanyard and the RSL/Collins lanyard.
The Skyhook can be added by the manufacturer as an option by adding the Red Skyhook lanyard to the RSL/Collins lanyard and corresponding skyhook on the reserve bridle.
An alteration to the RSL/Collins lanyard on the post Feb. 2007 rigs will require a terminal pin reserve ripcord which must be replaced with factory TSO’ed components only. *** (reference Pg 6. of the Javelin/Javelin Odyssey Owners Manual Rev. 2 Issue 01 March 2007)
Sun Path Products, Inc.
Sun Path Products, Inc.
Sun Path Products, Inc. * 4439 Skydive Lane * Zephyrhills, FL33542
Phone 813-782-9242 * FAX 813-788-3057 * www.sunpath.com
More articles in this category:
- Squirrel Reveal Wingsuit Targeted Epicene Canopy - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-07-14)
- Robert Harris Explains His Homemade Wingsuit Project - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-07-06)
- SFly Release Ridge Wingsuit - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-04-29)
- Garmin Announces New Virb X and Virb XE HD Cameras - by Bryn De Kocks (Posted: 2015-04-14)
- Alti-Force Sensor Pack - GoPro Addon - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-04-02)
- Squirrel Aura 2 Pre-Orders and Teaser - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-03-20)
- Sony Announce Two New Action Cams - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-01-14)
- Turned On by Hypoxic - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-01-06)