Argus AAD Discontinued
According to Karel Goorts, Managing Director for Aviacom SA, production of the Argus automatic activation device (AAD) for the sport parachuting market has been discontinued. The current group of service centers will continue to provide service for units currently in use. A limited number of cutters and spare parts will be available. Many container manufacturers rescinded the approval of the Argus to be installed in their containers earlier this year, following questions about the effectiveness of the cutter. Argus owners should check with their container manufacturer to determine whether the Argus may be installed.
Aviacom released the following press release on the situation:
Dear Argus Customer,
We thank you for the support and the confidence that you granted us over the years. The Argus has saved no less than 31 lives since 2006.
The recent bans from major manufacturers forced us to discontinue further production for the sport market, due to the impossibility to use our AAD in most rigs. We have been lobbying in St.-Louis at the PIA meeting with all involved parties to get the Argus back in the air – to no avail.
The manufacturers demand a brand new cutter design. This will take between 18-24 months and cost over 100,000.00 USD. We don’t get any guarantee that this solution will be accepted by those who issued the ban, so it is not a viable option.
Our Service centers will be able to continue the 4 year check-ups and the remaining ‘old’ cutters still will be exchanged for free. A limited stock of spare parts will be available.
The remaining stock of Argus SIS will be sold through our dealer network.
We are sincerely sorry for this unfortunate situation.
P.S.: The Argus is allowed for use in the following rigs: Mirage, Wings, Dolphin, Racer, Infinity, Next and Basik.
Buy your Gear from these Trusted Stores:
More articles in this category:
- Aerodyne Release Pilot7 Canopy - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-04-19)
- Four-Armed is Forewarned - by DSE (Posted: 2016-03-08)
- Introducing The Safire 3 by NZ Aerosports - by (Posted: 2016-02-15)
- First Look At The Squirrel Swift 2 - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-01-28)
- Parachute Systems Service Bulletin for Vortex Container - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-01-06)
- Squirrel Reveal Wingsuit Targeted Epicene Canopy - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-07-14)
- Robert Harris Explains His Homemade Wingsuit Project - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-07-06)
- SFly Release Ridge Wingsuit - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-04-29)