The Kenya Safari Beach Boogie
Photo: Baz Zarour
Photo: John Trevor
The 17th annual Kenya Beach Safari Boogie was held October 29th - November 12th, 2005 in Diani Beach, Kenya, Africa. The event used a super otter to fly 205 loads to 13,500ft during the two-week event.
Harro Trempenau organizes the event. Trempenau runs the Nairobi Skydiving Club in Kenya and is also the chairman of the Technical and Safety Committee of the IPC.
The nearly 150 registrants came from 26 nations and made just under 4000 total jumps. International organizers included Bruce Robertson (US), Joerg Schmidt (Germany), Uli Pleumer (Germany) and Caroline Hughes (U.K.) for formation skydiving and Max Cohn (US) for free flying.
The boogie was run out of the Safari Beach Resort. The landing area was the beach in front of the hotel over the Indian Ocean. The Super Otter took off from an airport located less than 10 minutes away.
In addition to fun jumps and organized loads, the event also put up over 70 tandems and graduated 10 AFF students.
There was only one injury (a broken leg) and there has never been a fatality in the 17 years of the event.
Boogie participants were also able to enjoy scuba diving, fishing, wildlife safaris and other beach holiday activities.
Next year's boogie is scheduled for October 28th - November 11th, 2006. Information on the boogie can be found at www.kenyaboogie.com.
More articles in this category:
- 2nd FAI World Cup of Wingsuit Flying - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2017-08-29)
- Jump-Tandem Festival 2017 Report - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2017-07-31)
- World Cup of Indoor Skydiving 2016 - Part 2 - by Joel Strickland (Posted: 2016-10-19)
- World Cup of Indoor Skydiving 2016 - Part 1 - by Joel Strickland (Posted: 2016-10-13)
- World Parachuting Championships 2016 - Wrap Up - by Joel Strickland (Posted: 2016-09-23)
- World Parachuting Championships 2016 - Day 4 Update - by Joel Strickland (Posted: 2016-09-17)
- World Parachuting Championships 2016 - Introduction - by Joel Strickland (Posted: 2016-09-14)
- Polish 100-Way National Record - by Kuba Konwent and Marta Molińska (Posted: 2015-08-16)