Parachuting for ProgeriaBy Max Cohn on 2006-10-06
Photos: Laszlo Andacas
September 18th, 2006 marked the first annual Parachuting for Progeria charity event at The Blue Sky Ranch in Gardiner, NY.
The event was spearheaded by NYC fireman and Ranch local jumper Michael Brody. Brody saw a TV special on Progeria) and decided to help the organization (www.progeriaresearch.org) by skydiving for the cause.
Progeria is rare, fatal genetic disease that causes accelerated aging in children. Children with Progeria die of atherosclerosis (heart disease) at an average age of thirteen years.
Brody's goal was to make 50 jumps in a day.
His plan was to have sponsors pledge donations per jump (or a flat donation for his efforts) and also to raise general awareness for Progeria.
With the help of The Blue Sky Ranch, dedicated packers, ground coordinator Maxwell Cohn and fellow jumpers 'Hairdo' Lou Marra and Lester 'Spike' Kingsley, 39 loads from 3000ft were safely completed by the end of day.
The event raised over $2500 and the yielded publicity as a front page story in the Staten Island Advance and a TV interview with Brody on NY1 News.
Brody would like to hold the charity event again next summer (possibly in July or August) and get other drop zones to participate as well. Brody encourages those who wish to donate to visit www.progeriaresearch.org and to contact him about next year's event at firstname.lastname@example.org or 917-903-6271.
More articles in this category:
- Wingsuit Artistic Camp - NSPC, Australia - by Andrew Wright (Posted: 2013-12-06)
- Women's Vertical World Record Camp - by Melissa Lowe (Posted: 2013-11-07)
- SIS at iFly Seattle - by Melissa Lowe (Posted: 2013-11-04)
- Annual Skydive Orange Boogie: Tight & Bright baby! - by Melissa Nelson (Posted: 2013-09-09)
- Women's Vertical World Record Camp: Teamwork - by Melissa Nelson (Posted: 2013-08-29)
- World Games 2013 - Results - by Carrie Transue (Posted: 2013-08-19)
- Pink Canopy Piloting Open - Day 3, Final Results - by Carrie Transue (Posted: 2013-08-18)
- Pink Canopy Piloting Open - Day 2 - by Carrie Transue (Posted: 2013-08-17)