5th Annual M.O.A.B - Mother of All Boogies
What do you get when you take a few hundred skydivers, lots of jump planes, and the most beautiful landscape on earth? The Fifth Annual M.O.A.B. Boogie, September 25-28, 2008.
The MOAB Boogie has grown every year, and it keeps getting better. We'll have Skydive Arizona's Otters and possibly their SkyVan flying loads over our DZ, with the "standard" Moab scenery of red canyons and buttresses, Castleton Tower, Arches/Canyonlands National Parks and the LaSal Mountains on every flight.
This year we are adding two spectacular special jumps, which can't be found anywhere else in the world. Mineral Canyon is a wild piece of canyonland just west of the airport, miles of red cliffs lining the Green River. This area is a scenic draw for visitors to Moab, as well as a prime destination for BASE jumpers, thanks to its 400 foot cliffs and 1000 foot canopy ride over the talus slopes into the river valley. We have permission to use the dirt landing strip beside the river for a special Mineral Canyon load this year, and the jump is truly unique for its 3D character. You'll open above the cliffs, feeling like the rim is your landing zone, but then the jump just keeps on going, as you fly into the canyon over the river, for another 1500 feet of canopy ride with the walls rising around you. After the jump, a Unimog will take you up the 4WD switchback road (which will be the 2nd best part of this, past the Meri's Gash BASE exit and to a school bus which will shuttle you back to the airport. This ride along the Dead Horse Point road is a scenic bonus, so keep the cameras out.
The Castle Valley load on Friday evening has become tradition for the MOAB. This year the land owners has allowed 1 extra Otter load to land into the property. The plane flies over Arches National Park, towards the LaSals, and into Castle Valley. This is the famous climbing and BASE jumping grouping of Castleton Tower, the Rectory, and the Priest, perhaps the most photographed desert towers in the world. The scenic flight would be worth it alone. You will make your jump over these sandstone towers and land in the desert, and get shuttled back 35 miles to the DZ, along the curving Scenic Hwy 128, The River Road.
And of course, we'll have organizers all boogie long for: RW, VRW, Tracking, Hop n Pops, Wingsuits, etc.
The beer line will be heavily watched this year. It's only 3.2% beer but you are still going to buy some for violating the line. This is for YOUR SAFETY!
Lodging this year will be at the Super 8 Motel again. They have 108 rooms and they are giving us the best price of any hotel. If you want the full Moab experience, you might want to camp out, and come a day early to hike, or ride mountain bikes, jeeps, ATV's. Moab is also a world destination for rafting, rock climbing and petroglyphs. There are plenty of great restaurants in town, and Thursday night is always Moab Brewery night. We have the bar area to ourselves and the back room of the restaurant to eat appetizers (specializing in wings!) and food and sample their microbrew. If you sample too much, there is a Moab taxi service to get you safely back to the hotel.
If you can take a few extra days off of work, then you'll want to get here early to get out on an ATV and check out Moab from the ground. Experience the canyons and cliffs from deep inside the trails.
- Pre-registration is $30 before Friday, September 12th
- Skydive Arizona's World Class Organizers and Aircraft.
- Wingsuit demos by Phoenix Fly and Organizing with Jay Epstein.
- Thursday Night - Moab Brewery Night. Great Beer and Appetizers.
- Friday Night BBQ at the Airport. FREE Food and drinks for all registered jumpers.
- Saturday Night Party (TBA at registration)
Bring your cameras and all your toys, and we'll see you here in Moab, September 25-28, for the Mother Of All Boogies (MOAB)!
More articles in this category:
- Spring Break SiS Boogie at Skydive Live - by Skydive Live (Posted: 2015-02-11)
- The 12th Annual St. Patrick's Day Celebration Boogie - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-02-04)
- Jump Into The New Year with Skydive Live - by Skydive Live (Posted: 2015-01-07)
- Skydive Arizona Halloween Boogie 2014 - by SkydiveAZ (Posted: 2014-11-13)
- 2014 Annual Patriot's Boogie - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2014-06-30)
- Skydivelive 1st Annual Memorial Day Boogie - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2014-05-22)
- The Spring Boogie at SkydiveLive - by dropzone.com (Posted: 2014-03-19)
- An Adventure in Mexico - Puerto Escondido Boogie - by Paul Kendzior (Posted: 2014-01-20)