2006 M.O.A.B. Boogie Report
It is an old cliché, "Different strokes for different folks". Bright city lights, crowded, bustling streets, or, moonlit skies, touchable stars, and the cozy warmth of a glowing campfire. The latter has to be experienced in Moab, Utah, where the third annual M.O.A.B (Mother of all Boogies) was celebrated this past September. Relaxed, peaceful, and laid-back were among the comments from the high-spirited participants and from the many enthusiastic spectators.
Skydive Arizona shone for the 4-day event bringing their Super Skyvan and two Twin Otters, and of course, Bryan Burke. Load organizer Andy Honigbaum (Airspeed), worked magic over the course of the Boogie. He said, "it's the most jumps I've made at a boogie. Almost 40 jumps for the weekend." With close to 2500 total jumps, 210 experienced jumpers, and 140 tandems, the airpower was rockin' all weekend. Special loads carried 40 jumpers in the Needles Outpost area. The jumpers landed on the dirt runway just hundreds of feet away from Canyonlands National Park. Skydivers from Canada, England, France, Switzerland, Germany, and Australia were collectively in awe of the unique painted scenery at their disposal.
A couple of Utah un-official state records were broken during the Boogie. Andy organized a 21-way on Saturday, and then on the following day with a 23-way being accomplished. An all woman's state record (9 way), was achieved also for a large RW formation, which turned into a hybrid for yet another record. Spirits were high, and these accomplishments may just be the telltale signs.
Friday night's cookout was a huge success with 220 hamburgers, 100 hot dogs, and other munchies, being inhaled within 2 hours! Needless to say, the day's activities manifested some huge appetites'.
Julie Wentz of Castle Valley, Utah had an Otter load land at her place for an amazing scenery and then there was a Cookout and drinks afterwords
Many enjoyed sitting around the ole' campfire as they downed their refreshments and reminisced of the day's events and of stories old. Good food, good company, and good friends, old and new alike. Saturday night's bonfire musical entertainment was provided by local DJs, Forest and Tina. Free on-site camping brought in 35 campers to partake in the majestic, rugged landscaped locale. Let us not forget to mention the well-needed massages given by Ambrosia who, during the course of the boogie, broke her back to make everyone else's feel better.
Another special thanks to everyone who helped us out the entire time. Lots of volunteers to keep the place running smooth.
Clint MacBeth and Shelley White, owners of Skydive Moab, wish to invite all adventurous souls to come, share and play, in a little piece of their world!
A special thanks to all of our sponsors:
See you next year!!
More articles in this category:
- Flanders Boogie 2017: World Class Organizers, Cheap Jumps and Belgian Summer - by Damian Alvarez (Posted: 2017-09-13)
- African Sky Blue - Skydive Diani’s 3rd Anniversary Boogie (Part 2) - by Annette O'Neil (Posted: 2017-03-14)
- African Sky Blue - Skydive Diani’s 3rd Anniversary Boogie (Part 1) - by Annette O'Neil (Posted: 2017-03-13)
- ChutingStar Boogie Schedule - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-05-30)
- Vector Fest 2016 - by Dropzone.com Administrator (Posted: 2016-05-27)
- Come to the Sun and Boogie at Dubai Winter Festival '15 - by Skydive Dubai - Seán Hahessy (Posted: 2015-11-09)
- Sky Camp Halloween Party - by Kuba Konwent (Posted: 2015-11-05)
- Report From Baltic Boogie 2015 - by Kuba Konwent and Marta Molinska (Posted: 2015-07-30)