Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Skydiver's Handbook ?

darrell  (A License)

Apr 9, 2001, 3:49 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1195 views)
Shortcut
Skydiver's Handbook ? Can't Post

I just finished my AFF and then discovered THE STUDENT SKYDIVER'S HANDBOOK ... (wish I knew about it during my AFF levels)
Anyway, the last page of the Student Handbook suggests the SKYDIVER'S HANDBOOK for those finished with the AFF and working toward their A license. Where do I find this book ?

Craig

Apr 9, 2001, 4:15 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1185 views)
Shortcut
Re: Skydiver's Handbook ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Try the Parapublishing web site http://www.parapublishing.com/parachute/, it should be there. Amazon used to carry them when I purchased mine when I was a student, but it looks like the don't anymore. It is a good book worth buying.

Craig

what42  (Student)

Apr 9, 2001, 4:59 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1179 views)
Shortcut

I just ordered mine from Amazon.com and it should be here any day now. Check it out <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568600623/qid=986860655/sr=1-1/ref=sc_b_2/107-9630646-9558133" target="_new"> here. </A> Only 15.96 plus shipping.

--
I want to fly!

darrell  (A License)

Apr 9, 2001, 7:00 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1167 views)
Shortcut

Thanks guys!

WOW, this forum really works

blue skies

what42  (Student)

Apr 9, 2001, 7:07 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1166 views)
Shortcut

Glad I could help out. My book should be here tomorrow and I can't wait to get it and read it all in a few days. I'm starting my AFF hopefully Saturday.

Wesley

--
I want to fly!

darrell  (A License)

Apr 9, 2001, 7:43 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1163 views)
Shortcut

what42,

FYI

AFF is most amazing...

If it were me I would consider reading the STUDENT HANDBOOK :
http://www.dropzone.com/safety/resources/handbook/
before & during your AFF...this was writen for just that purpose(as a matter of fact in it you are directed to then read the SKYDIVER'S HANDBOOK after you complete the AFF.) Unless otherwise advised by your instructors/ jumpmasters I would leave the SKYDIVER'S HANDBOOK for after the AFF.

You will have your hands full ......

darrell

what42  (Student)

Apr 9, 2001, 7:54 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1162 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
If it were me I would consider reading the STUDENT HANDBOOK :
haha...When you posted that I was reading it online. It's interesting. Lot's of useful details I hadn't found online elsewhere. I tried to get the Skydiver's handbook from the library but they only had a version from the 80s. I figured that it would be VERY outdated by now and I'm sure it'll be very helpful.

Wesley

--
I want to fly!

darrell  (A License)

Apr 9, 2001, 9:34 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Wesley,

be safe, have fun !

mountainman  (A License)

Apr 9, 2001, 9:48 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Hey Darrell...are there any other articles/books/etc that you would recommend reading before/during your AFF. I will be starting this in June and want to be prepared as possible. I have read Bryan Burke's manual, the USPA manual (yes, every page), and another manual that I happened to get my hands on.

I take it you did AFF. Thanks a lot!!!

Cielos azules...

darrell  (A License)

Apr 9, 2001, 10:10 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1149 views)
Shortcut

Cielos

Yes, I just did the AFF

To be honest with you I believe in keeping it simple...
You will have your hands full when you hang your ass out the door (alot of emotions, thoughts, ect ...)
So I would keep your mind clean if I were you, don't over do
it with alot of info that you won't be in the mental space to use...
read this and you will be cool ...
http://www.dropzone.com/safety/resources/handbook/

This may sound simplistic, but I would give my brother the same advise I just gave you...

darrell

Albatross  (D 32026)

Apr 9, 2001, 10:16 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1148 views)
Shortcut

If you want to know everything that is going to happen and how you shouldmturn when yuo are not even stable go for it. You are going to have to take the approach that is going to work the best for you. I went out and jumped the first time then came home an found evrything about how to do all the skills that I was going to be doing in AFF. That is how I felt best: Learn, Reherse, Forget it and do it. Some of my friends just did it. Above everything that we can tell you you must be confident when you jump. You must have everything set in your mind as to how you are going to do things and how you will react in any situation. After all that remember that this is reall a lot of fun.

Blue Skys and Safe Landings
Albatross

darrell  (A License)

Apr 10, 2001, 6:35 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1101 views)
Shortcut

The thing is this- They will teach you what you need to know.
That's why you pay 'em the bucks and why you spend a day on the ground going over this stuff BEFORE you jump. Don't get me wrong, I believe in being thurough, that's why I suggest
to anybody about to take the AFF to read the STUDENT HANDBOOK
I feel that anything more is overdoing it, go ahead if it makes you feel better, but it all boils down to just keeping some basic tennents in mind while you are doing your first jumps; all of which you will find in the class instruction and tha STUDENT HANDBOOK.....why complicate the issue, it's not taking the SAT, it's keeping cool and keeping in mind basic techniques while you are
YOU WILL HAVE PLENTY TO DO JUST DOING THE MINIMAL LEARNING OBJECTIVES in your first dives.

Download the STUDENT HANDBOOK and read it, take the class and do what they tell you to do, have fun.................. resist the temptation to cram information into your brain that is for the next "level"

You learn to walk before you learn to run.....

darrell

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)