Forums: General: Introductions and Greets:
New French-Canadian Jumper!

Cayou  (Student)

Mar 16, 2004, 7:33 AM
Post #1 of 22 (1031 views)
Shortcut
New French-Canadian Jumper! Can't Post

Hi All,

I started jumping late last summer, I just bought my first rig and I am waiting for this cold country to warm up and start jumping again. I did not realize how expensive all this stuff was.. oh wellUnsure

Here is a newbie question: There are quite a few disciplines out there, skysurfing and birdman suit flying interest me, but I realize I need more experience before attempting those.. If you would like, please share your skydiving career progression.. Is everyone starting with RW? Freeflying?

Thanks everyone!

Steve

(This post was edited by Cayou on Mar 16, 2004, 10:18 AM)

piisfish

Mar 16, 2004, 7:37 AM
Post #2 of 22 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cayou] New French-Canadian Jumper! [In reply to] Can't Post

salut cayou,
bienvenue sur le forum.
le jour ou tu pourras voler la wingsuit, tu pourras plus t'en passer.
avant ša il faut faire tes armes en vol, capacitÚ Ó dÚriver bien droit, vite et loin, surveiller ce qui se passe en l'air etc etc...
viens donc faire un saut sur le forum francophone.

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Mar 16, 2004, 8:16 AM
Post #3 of 22 (1002 views)
Shortcut

Welcome to the forums! Smile I think most people will tell you to start out with RW. It gives you the basic flying skills that you need to build off of and do other things.

Amazon  (D License)

Mar 16, 2004, 9:36 AM
Post #4 of 22 (994 views)
Shortcut

OMG.. another one... eeeesh.. another one ...( joking Remi and Gui)

BWAHAHAHAHA.. hey its only money.. I dont even want to think about the $10,000+ I spent in the last year since coming back to the sport.

Start with good belly skills .... practice your evergency procedures on YOUR gear... get to know it intimately because the life it may save may be your own...Learn good canopy control... since EVERY jump you will be riding your canopy to the ground.

Welcome to the sport... be safe and most importantly HAVE FUN.

Premier Remster  (C License)

Mar 16, 2004, 11:31 AM
Post #5 of 22 (981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amazon] New French-Canadian Jumper! [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
OMG.. another one... eeeesh.. another one ...( joking Remi and Gui)

Watch it you giant read-head....Tongue

Salut Cayou,

welcome, and feel free to post in the French forum: http://www.dropzone.com/...gforum.cgi?forum=30;

Amazon  (D License)

Mar 16, 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #6 of 22 (979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Remster] New French-Canadian Jumper! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Watch it you giant read-head....

So English is not your first choice for spelling huhDevil
The hair is red my dear

Cayou  (Student)

Mar 16, 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #7 of 22 (974 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for all the welcomingSmile

Steve

billymotox  (C 35489)

Mar 16, 2004, 2:05 PM
Post #8 of 22 (964 views)
Shortcut

Welcome and congrats on getting your ASmile

Mar 16, 2004, 6:40 PM
Post #9 of 22 (951 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
Watch it you giant read-head....

So English is not your first choice for spelling huhDevil
The hair is red my dear

I can butcher many a language CoolLaugh

Premier slotperfect  (D 13014)

Mar 17, 2004, 3:19 AM
Post #10 of 22 (947 views)
Shortcut

Hi Steve . . . welcome to the forums!

I am a military jumper as well, and started out that way. I transitioned to "civilian" or "sport" skydiving at about 50 jumps.

I have always been a Relative Worker, and currently do mostly tandems and AFF on the sport side. I love big ways and will jump at the chance to do more.

I would recommend that you find an experienced and talented individual in each discipline you are interested in, and pick his brain about the relative work experience and survival skills you need to move into a chosen discipline.

Our very own Chuck Blue (SkymonkeyONE) is a Birdman Instructor and was the first person jumping a board in these parts back in the day. PM him or throw a post in the General Skydiving Forum.

Cayou  (Student)

Mar 17, 2004, 5:59 AM
Post #11 of 22 (940 views)
Shortcut
Re: [slotperfect] New French-Canadian Jumper! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi John, thanks for the reply.
I am an engineer in the military, so I don't jump as part of my work. UnsureHowever, I have long dreamed of being a Skyhawk (Canadian Forces Demo Team), so I might get paid to have this much fun in a couple years from now... who knows!!Wink

Reading all different posts and other stuff on the net, it seems like RW is the way to start. I am moving this summer and hopefully my new local DZ will have RW people I can jump with (Gananoque, Ont).

How long did it take you to become at ease with the basics like keeping a steady fall rate, turns, track, ..etc ? I would like to get my A license this summer and possibly start working on my B.

Steve

Mar 17, 2004, 6:24 AM
Post #12 of 22 (939 views)
Shortcut

Salut Cayou,

Guananoque (Guan) has a bit of RW and freeflying as far as I am told. They're getting a Twin Otter for a few weekends this summer too.

I know I may go there for these weekends, and would be happy to do a couple of drill jumps with you! Or if you take a drive to Nouvel Air in Farnham Quebec, find me (Remi)!

As far as how long it takes to be at ease with basics, that really depends with the individual. By the time you get your B, you should be pretty confortable with all the basics of RW. To be good at it, well, we're all still learning! SmileLaugh

Cayou  (Student)

Mar 17, 2004, 9:34 AM
Post #13 of 22 (935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Remster] New French-Canadian Jumper! [In reply to] Can't Post

Once I get my certification, I will be happy to try different places to jump! By the way, it is really spelled Gananoque (Gan) See the web site:
http://www.skydivegan.com
Or any road map.. Wink

Hopefully I will have my rig ready for the May long weekend at Gan. Did you know that Paramax Skydiving has moved to Alexandria? It used to be in Gatineau, where I took my course, which is also where I live until I move to Kingston in August.

Steve

Mar 17, 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #14 of 22 (933 views)
Shortcut

Gan, Guan, same difference Laugh Thx for the correction!Smile

Premier slotperfect  (D 13014)

Mar 17, 2004, 6:55 PM
Post #15 of 22 (920 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
How long did it take you to become at ease with the basics like keeping a steady fall rate, turns, track, ..etc ?

That was a loooong time ago! Blush

I would say I had "comfort" with all of that at about 15 jumps or so. Bear in mind that I was wind tunnel trained before I made my first jump.

chester  (Student)

Mar 17, 2004, 6:55 PM
Post #16 of 22 (919 views)
Shortcut

Salut Steve!

Witch base are you posted to Trenton or Kingston? Because I know a girl in Trenton and she is very good she was in the skyhawks before.

Cayou  (Student)

Mar 17, 2004, 8:47 PM
Post #17 of 22 (914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chester] New French-Canadian Jumper! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am posted to Kingston. What is the girl's name? Is she still in Trenton?

packerboy  (C 34282)

Mar 18, 2004, 8:39 PM
Post #18 of 22 (899 views)
Shortcut

If you are talking about Vicki Lanthier, she is in Afghanistan right now (actually New Zealand at this moment), but she will be back jumping in Gan in.. uhh I think May.. don't quote me.

Vicki is tonnes of fun to jump with and party with, as are almost everybody at Skydive Gan.

As for the question of RW in Gan.. check out the website, we have 2 instructors that were on the 300 way, and more than a few others that are definately skilled enough to have been. The DZO is a pioneer of training students in the sport.

There are also more than enough recent freefall grads (like myself) with between 20 and 300 jumps who you can go out with and learn with and maybe a little bit from.

Can't wait to see you in Gan! Oh wait.. shit did you say another French-Canadian jumper? I hear Skydive Burnaby is nice.. LOL. Just kidding dude, there are plenty of French-Canadians here you can go to trays feet with.. you might even find a french pilot or two (shudder.... thinking of Montreal drivers).Wink In fact I'll be snowboarding with one tommorow at Mt. Sutton... I'd better get to bed.

chester  (Student)

Mar 18, 2004, 9:25 PM
Post #19 of 22 (896 views)
Shortcut

Her name is Rebecca Hanbidge and like I said she is in Trenton. I dont know if she is jumping at Gan.

Cayou  (Student)

Mar 19, 2004, 5:28 AM
Post #20 of 22 (890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [packerboy] New French-Canadian Jumper! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Can't wait to see you in Gan! Oh wait.. shit did you say another French-Canadian jumper? I hear Skydive Burnaby is nice.. LOL. Just kidding dude, there are plenty of French-Canadians here you can go to trays feet with..

I won't mind having to deal with a few square heads from time to time.. Tongue (Just kidding!!) I just thought the subject line would be more "catchy" this way! (Or maybe I was just looking for attention??)

Good to see that the skydiving community does not have a problem with this french-canadian thing!

aaaaahhhhhh, can't wait to start jumping again....

Steve

piisfish

Mar 19, 2004, 5:57 AM
Post #21 of 22 (888 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Good to see that the skydiving community does not have a problem with this french-canadian thing!
specially in the french speaking forum TongueTongue

ChileRelleno  (D 24868)

Mar 19, 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #22 of 22 (882 views)
Shortcut

"HI!" Welcome to DZ.com.

OH NO! a QueerbecanTongue...... just joking!
But seriuosly you folks up around Montreal drive like freakin insane LSD crazed NASCAR/demolition derby driversShocked.

Forums : General : Introductions and Greets

Search for (options)