Forums: Skydiving: Incidents:
british skydiver fataity in OZ

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

shyne

Mar 14, 2004, 2:57 AM
Post #1 of 135 (7556 views)
Shortcut
british skydiver fataity in OZ Can't Post

This was posted on News.com.au shortly ago.
Unfortunately no other details as yet.

Skydiver plunges to her death
March 14, 2004

A SKYDIVER plunged to her death today after her parachute malfunctioned during a jump north-west of Melbourne.

Police said the British woman was an experienced skydiver and had been attempting her 200th jump when the accident occurred.

Early investigations suggest her main chute became entangled with an emergency parachute.

She had exited the aircraft at 14,000 feet, police said.

A friend of the woman told AAP tonight that her death was "a great loss".

Skydive City Club representative Luke McWilliam said the woman, who was aged in her 20s, had skydived around Australia and at the club for the past two years.

"It's a huge loss, she was much loved by everyone," he said.

"She was a very positive person, a brilliant person, we are all in shock."

Mr McWilliam said the woman was attempting a nine-way formation over Barwon Heads when tragedy struck.

No-one else was injured in the incident.

He said the club would be closed for "a number of days" while everyone dealt with the loss.

Club members would hold a memorial service for their friend at a later date.

Police were notified of the incident shortly after 4pm (AEDT) when a member of the public reported a skydiver in trouble.

The woman's name has not been released.

An investigation into the incident will be conducted by the Civil Aviation Safety Association and the Australian SkyDiving Association, while a report will be prepared for the coroner.

AAP

Blue Skies Frown

(This post was edited by shyne on Mar 14, 2004, 2:58 AM)

ockers  (D 3911)

Mar 14, 2004, 5:42 PM
Post #2 of 135 (6949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyne] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

This was in the Herald Sun

Parachute fails young skydiver
Christine Caulfield, Danny Buttler and Mark Moor
15mar04

A YOUNG skydiver plummeted to her death when her parachute failed to open over Geelong yesterday.

The Melbourne woman, 24, was skydiving with friends and fell more than 4200m onto a paddock in Connawarre, 10km from Geelong, about 4.15pm.
The experienced parachutist, who was on her 200th jump, was skydiving with a company under investigation by aviation authorities for alleged safety breaches.

Skydive City has been under surveillance by the Australian Parachute Federation after concerns were raised by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

CASA is investigating the Barwon Heads company, and last month imposed a ban on it dropping parachutists within 5km of Barwon Heads airport.

Pilots have accused the multi-million dollar business of dropping parachutists through clouds and dangerously close to planes using the airport.

Skydive City owner Luke McWilliam refused to comment on the allegations, but confirmed the woman, a British expatriate who had lived in Melbourne for three years, was jumping with his company.

"Although we're aware of all of the risks involved in adventure sports, all at the club are shocked at the loss," he said.

Mr McWilliam described the skydiver as a thrillseeker who loved life.

"She was a very adventurous person, very positive, very happy. She was one of the most lovely people you could meet," he said.

Parachute Federation safety officer Paul Murphy said officers had inspected Skydive City jumps on several occasions.

"We are aware of concerns that CASA have had; we have been surveilling the operation, and checking on it periodically," he said. "But in each case when we have been doing surveillance, there have been no breaches that we understand to have taken place."

Mr Murphy, who inspected the accident scene, said early indications pointed to equipment failure as the cause of the tragedy.

"I'm not sure what that problem was," he said.

A police spokeswoman confirmed last night that the woman's main parachute, which was understood to have been her own, appeared to have become entangled with the emergency chute.

CASA spokesman Peter Gibson said that the woman jumped outside the 5km exclusion zone around the Barwon Heads airport.

He said it was too early to tell whether yesterday's accident was relevant to its investigation into the company.

Squeak  (E 1313)

Mar 14, 2004, 5:44 PM
Post #3 of 135 (6943 views)
Shortcut

A little more info here. still not explanation though
http://www.geelonginfo.com.au/....asp?articleid=10868

nhingley  (B 5457)

Mar 14, 2004, 8:08 PM
Post #4 of 135 (6851 views)
Shortcut

Frown
She was my friend.....
I wasn't there when it happened so i have only read the articles you all have.
What i can say is that it has nothing to do with Barwon Heads investigation as mentioned in all of the articles.
My thoughts go out to all that knew her

karenmeal  (D 24737)

Mar 14, 2004, 8:10 PM
Post #5 of 135 (6846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Squeak] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Has anybody heard word on who this is yet?

spottydog

Mar 14, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #6 of 135 (6783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [karenmeal] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, she apperently had a main/reserve entanglement.

BASE813

Mar 15, 2004, 5:35 AM
Post #7 of 135 (6504 views)
Shortcut

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3513188.stm

Peace........... fly on

ltdiver  (D 20506)

Mar 15, 2004, 6:59 AM
Post #8 of 135 (6392 views)
Shortcut

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/.../15/ixportaltop.html

Her family gives tribute.

ltdiver

sabr190  (D 22931)

Mar 15, 2004, 1:36 PM
Post #9 of 135 (6025 views)
Shortcut

Blue Skies and Soft Winds to her and her family.

Squeak  (E 1313)

Mar 15, 2004, 4:07 PM
Post #10 of 135 (5887 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Has anybody heard word on who this is yet?

Her name as released on TV this morning is Clare Barnes, the daughter of a Brit, news reader apparently, no more about how the 2 out entanglement happened though

(This post was edited by Squeak on Mar 15, 2004, 8:19 PM)

sasteam  (D 27719)

Mar 15, 2004, 6:55 PM
Post #11 of 135 (5782 views)
Shortcut

One from The Guardian Unlimited:

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/...9061,1169802,00.html

dmitry26  (A 8402)

Mar 15, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #12 of 135 (5746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sasteam] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

One more arcicle in OZ paper

http://www.theage.com.au/...6/1079199198938.html

that is my home drop zone but I haven't been there for the last few months.

Blue Skies to her and her family

(This post was edited by dmitry26 on Mar 15, 2004, 8:30 PM)

BenGriffiths  (B 103613)

Mar 16, 2004, 7:50 AM
Post #13 of 135 (5441 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dmitry26] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyinformation on what/who this happened?

BASE813

Mar 16, 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #14 of 135 (5155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BenGriffiths] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

dude........ read the articles - she is named. As she has high profile parents the press are all over it.......... tossas

freefaller2001  (C License)

Mar 17, 2004, 1:51 AM
Post #15 of 135 (5075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BASE813] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't actually say what happenend? I assume it was a double mal or something?? I cannot seem to find details about it.

edit: ok just realised I read to quickly - the entanglement was it kit problem, error in judgment, did she have and RSL?? I'm just curious to learn about these things.

Another sad day for the world of skydiving.

Blue skies to her and her family.

(This post was edited by freefaller2001 on Mar 17, 2004, 2:17 AM)

Premier cpoxon  (D 11665)
Mar 17, 2004, 5:02 AM
Post #16 of 135 (4959 views)
Shortcut

THis article cites equipment incompatibility but does not give any specifics saying a bulletin will be issued to clubs and associations tomorrow.

Quote:

Doomed from the start
By Frank Thorne, Evening Standard in Sydney
17 March 2004
Skydiving victim Clare Barnes was doomed from the moment she jumped from an aircraft high over the Australian coast, an inquiry revealed today.

A post-mortem examination carried out in Melbourne found a number of problems with the 24-year-old's equipment.

The man leading the investigation, Inspector Neil Cheney, said: "What appears to have happened in this case is that all the cards have been stacked against her. In that sequence of events, they have fallen the wrong way each time."

A senior source within the Australian aviation authority said: "She never had a chance. She was doomed from the start."

Clare's parents, newsreader Carol Barnes and Foreign Office minister Denis MacShane, who arrived in Melbourne from London early today, will be informed by investigators their daughter's death on her 200th jump was not her fault.

Sources have told the Standard the accident was due to a series of events, including some equipment in her main parachute not being compatible with other parts of her equipment.

Nothing Clare could have done after she left the aircraft would have saved her life.

It is understood that Miss Barnes carried out all the correct procedures when her main parachute failed to deploy properly and became entangled around her body.

She did deploy her emergency reserve

chute a full 12 seconds before it came into operation, but that, too, became entangled.

Mr Cheney confirmed an urgent warning will be circulated to parachuting and skydiving clubs and organisations tomorrow to check the compatibility of their equipment.

"That fatality notice goes out to every registered packer, instructor and parachuting clubs and organisations right around Australia."

Although further testing of Miss Barnes's equipment will have to be carried out as a result of today's findings, Mr Cheney confirmed: "The compatibility of components is a significant issue."

Although reserve parachutes are standard and regulated, the main chute is self-regulated and the jumper would buy different equipment components from different manufacturers.

"This is a problem that the Parachute Federation is aware of and has been aware of in the past," said Mr Cheney. "They have previously circulated advice to people and I shall be re-iterating to people, reinforcing that advice

in a report. What happened in this case is a problem we have come across before.

"I think it will benefit other jumpers in the future," said Mr Cheney. "If nothing else comes out of this, it is a stark reminder of the dangers of complacency to all

of us, including myself. That it is a high-risk sport. I've had incidents I've been involved in myself that haven't gone to this point. It is just so unfortunate that successful intervention at any given point which would have resolved the matter didn't happen.

"A parachute comprises a number of components.

"They are largely interchangeable, but not always. What we are looking at here is the compatibility of components.

"What I will be telling people is to check the brands you have got are compatible with each other. Some brands don't necessarily go with other brands, where as other brands do.

"And this particular design is very complex. We are aware of it and have been aware of it in the past."

Miss Barnes's body will be released by the coroner tomorrow and it is understood that a funeral service will be held on Friday, when she will be cremated.

The family will fly home to England over the weekend with her ashes.

BSBD

drmagoo  (D License)

Mar 17, 2004, 5:33 AM
Post #17 of 135 (4932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cpoxon] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Anybody got any more details on what these incompatibility problems might be?

(This post was edited by drmagoo on Mar 17, 2004, 5:34 AM)

obelixtim  (D 84)

Mar 17, 2004, 12:50 PM
Post #18 of 135 (4721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drmagoo] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Doomed from the start???...Had she jumped the rig before??......

Something doesn't sound right.....

smiles  (D 41)

Mar 17, 2004, 1:38 PM
Post #19 of 135 (4695 views)
Shortcut

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/...e=Evening%20Standard

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/...996582%5E911,00.html

...the moment she left the aircraft there was nothing she could have done to save herself.

A series of problems were found with her equipment. A senior source within the Australian aviation authority said: "She never had a chance She was doomed from the start."

Inspector Neil Cheney, leading the investigation into the tragedy, said: "What appears to have happened is that all the cards have been stacked against her. In that sequence of events, they have fallen the wrong way each time." Investigators will tell Miss Barnes's parents that her death was not her fault.

Sources revealed that among the problems was that equipment in her main parachute was not compatible with other parts of her kit.?????

It is understood that she carried out all the correct procedures when her main parachute failed to deploy properly and became entangled around her body. She deployed her emergency reserve chute a full 12 seconds before it came into operation, but that too became entangled.

Mr Cheney confirmed an urgent warning would be circulated to parachuting and skydiving clubs and organisations tomorrow to check the compatibility of their equipment.

SMilesWink

(This post was edited by smiles on Mar 17, 2004, 1:41 PM)

Jasmin  (D License)

Mar 17, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #20 of 135 (4593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nhingley] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Kisses to Douggs and everyone at Barwon.

CASA/APF were purportedly investigating Barwon for a completely unrelated matter. ie not relevant to Clare's death.

(This post was edited by Jasmin on Mar 17, 2004, 4:56 PM)

masher  (D 3806)

Mar 18, 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #21 of 135 (4460 views)
Shortcut

The APF investigation is well underway, and an interim report has been issued.

Don't ask me about it, as it's for APF members only. When the final report is issued, I'll let you know.

I've posted this just to let everyone know that things are happening with regards to this incident.

Squeak  (E 1313)

Mar 18, 2004, 1:27 AM
Post #22 of 135 (4414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [masher] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm an APF member where can I veiw this interim report?

cabbage  (C License)

Mar 18, 2004, 1:58 AM
Post #23 of 135 (4395 views)
Shortcut

fromt todays Times online
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-1042541,00.html

March 18, 2004

Skydiver's parachute 'incorrectly packed'
FROMPA NEWS

The British skydiver Clare Barnes died when her parachute failed because it was not packed properly, an interim report into the accident claimed today.

The Australian Parachute Federation (APF), which has been investigating the incident, blamed poor gear maintenance and incorrect packing of the parachutes for the 24-year-olds death.

Miss Barnes, the daughter of newsreader Carol Barnes and Foreign Office minister Denis MacShane, was killed when attempting her 200th jump with her boyfriend and seven other members of a skydiving club near Melbourne on Sunday.

Graeme Windsor, the APFs national safety and operations manager, said the chain of events that led to her death started with the incorrect packing of the pilot chute, which is used to drag the main parachute from its pack. He told PA News: "Because the pilot chute was not packed properly it did not produce enough drag."

The report said: "When Clare activated her main parachute release at the correct altitude, she experienced a high-speed malfunction. It appears that Clare then followed correct emergency procedures by pulling the main parachute release system, followed by the reserve ripcord. Unfortunately, the main parachute did not release as it should have, and the reserve parachute became entangled with it, preventing either parachute from opening correctly."

Miss Barnes had taken part in a nine-way formation with the other jumpers but after she broke off, her parachutes failed and she fell.

The report went on to list several technical factors which contributed to her death in Barwon Heads, north west of Melbourne.

"The pilot chute that drags the main parachute from its pack had not been packed correctly, and was unable to develop fully," it said. The federation also blamed the failure on the fact that parts of the kit Miss Barnes was using was not compatible with the rest of her equipment. "The main parachute could not escape from its deployment bag because some suspension line stowage bands were too large to allow the bag to open under the reduced pilot chute drag conditions," the report said. Mr Windsor explained: "One of the rubber bands was too big so the bag would not open and let the parachute out."

The report said the main parachute release mechanism did not work because it contained "non-standard fittings". Mr Windsor said the release mechanism "was not the standard one for the harness she had on".

He said the major factors in the tragedy were "poor gear maintenance and packing". Miss Barnes was an experienced skydiver and a licensed parachute packer. "There is no indication at this stage that she did not pack the gear herself," Mr Windsor said.

The APF said all factors contributing to the accident had been illustrated in the past. "The combination of all these factors at the one time has led to a tragic loss of one of our experienced members," the organisation said.

Renewed advice stressing sound maintenance of equipment will be given out as a result of the accident, the APF said.

A final report will wait for the findings of the coroners inquest.

Yesterday, Miss Barness parents arrived in Australia to make preparations for the funeral, which was expected to take place in Melbourne on Friday morning local time.

Skyrad  (B License)

Mar 18, 2004, 5:55 AM
Post #24 of 135 (4265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cabbage] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats the most useful account I've ever seen published by a commercial news source.

BSBD

DJL  (C License)

Mar 18, 2004, 7:14 AM
Post #25 of 135 (4192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cabbage] british skydiver fataity in OZ [In reply to] Can't Post

So to sum it up:

No PC inflation
-Uncocked?
-Knotted?
-It still pulled the pin?

Resulting in bag lock
-Also, stow bands too tight?
-Stows too big? I doubt they had it right that the rubberbands were too big.
-So much that a properly inflated PC wouldn't have overcome this?

Unsuccessfull Cutaway
-Incompatible risers/3 ring?
-Improperly assembled 3 ring?

Resulting in Main/Reserve entanglement.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)