Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Swooping and Canopy Control:
Hornet Flyers .....

SkydiveMonkey  (B 102345)

Feb 25, 2002, 11:45 AM
Post #1 of 17 (1612 views)
Shortcut
Hornet Flyers ..... Can't Post

What are the tendancies of this canopy? I'm getting one soon and have heard loads of great things about them, but want to know as much as I can about it. It's a 170 loaded at 1.15 : 1.

You shouldn't put a knife in the toaster - but you're an adult now !!! Laugh

Slowfaller  (A 38080)

Feb 25, 2002, 12:55 PM
Post #2 of 17 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Re: Hornet Flyers ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I got my Hornet on Xmas eve and have put 3 jumps on it in unfavorible conditions. My observations have been that the price is rightSmile Mine is brand new and I thought it would be a fight to pack but to my supprise it isn't. One of the coolest things when it comes to packing it is the color coded line attachment points. When you have the canopy over your shoulder all you do for example, is grab the four green lines and flake the material between the yellow lines, then yellow to red and red to pink. Control lines are purple.

I haven't had much of a chance to fly the damn canopy because w/ warm weather comes wind here in the midwest. The toggle pressure is lighter that a Safire and a Sabre2 IMHO while flying the 3 canopies are about the same. The jump I did yesterday really tested the solidness of the canopy because the winds were above 15mph ( I was told 12mphMad) and even though it was bumpy I had confidence that my Hornet would stay inflated and keep the same heading which it did. I had negitive penitration and landed w/ the ground going backwards which wasn't too fun. As soon as these winds chill out I'll really get to fly it so until then this is all that I have observed.

I'll go to college; learn some big words; I'll talk real loud god damn right I'll be heard.

Kirils  (D License)

Feb 25, 2002, 1:07 PM
Post #3 of 17 (1581 views)
Shortcut

Think of the hornet as a "do it all canopy" ( I know the Triathlon makes this claim, but hey...it's a 7 cell, the swoop is poop) Moderately loaded it's a beginners dream to fly, higher loadings make it a great transition canopy to the fast world of elipticals. It flies great in brakes, has a strong flare,
it handles turbulance well, it can give you a decent surf, and it packs like dream.

Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

AggieDave  (D License)

Feb 25, 2002, 1:08 PM
Post #4 of 17 (1581 views)
Shortcut

I was jumping a Hornet 190, loaded at a bit over 1.3 for a while. Great canopy, I loved it. Some people say it opens hard, its all about how you pack it. I got it to collapse once but that was totally my fault and luckily I was at 4k when I did it (trying a fairly violent opposite turn from the direction I was spiralling, trying to put it in a hard diving turn, the canopy ate its self, but came back to normal when I pulled the rear risers). When I get the money together to buy gear, I'm really leaning towards getting one, I loved it Smile

"And who are you?"
"I'm...Batman..."

rgoper  (C 32349)

Feb 25, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #5 of 17 (1546 views)
Shortcut

dave:

i just had a hornet 170 put in my J-4, it's been a lot of jumps since i've jumped a 9 cell. could you pm me to tell me more of your experience with the hornet, i'll be loading this one at 1.5294-1.5882. i've been jumping a triathlon 7 cell loaded at 1.4474. (figuring 30 lbs for gear plus body weight) how do you think it'll react? i'm hoping for more glide, less sink on landings, and more responsive turns.

R.G.

skymedic  (C 33561)

Feb 25, 2002, 5:44 PM
Post #6 of 17 (1538 views)
Shortcut

You will get alot more responsive turns and your glide will be much better too...it is a great canopy that I have remarked on time and time again....just overall a good choice...

marc
BSBD

SkydiveMonkey  (B 102345)

Feb 25, 2002, 5:47 PM
Post #7 of 17 (1537 views)
Shortcut

What is the best way to pack it? Is a psycho pack good for this canopy or will it open softly anyway?

skymedic  (C 33561)

Feb 25, 2002, 5:50 PM
Post #8 of 17 (1536 views)
Shortcut

I have always psycho'd my hornets...and get predictable on heading openings...nice and soft.....and slow....good on my back.....I honestly havn't pro packed them before....so dont know the difference that you'd have....

marc
BSBD

rgoper  (C 32349)

Feb 25, 2002, 6:26 PM
Post #9 of 17 (1530 views)
Shortcut

marc:

thanks, i feel better now. :)

R.G.

cloud9  (D 27635)

Feb 25, 2002, 6:56 PM
Post #10 of 17 (1523 views)
Shortcut

I've got a Hornet 150 loaded at about 1.4 I find its a great canopy. It has a lot of flare and will pop you up on landing. You can really flare it and it doesn't seem to want to bow tie which means you can stay with it longer and land really soft without having to run out the landings. You can get a decent surf if you want, or you can even sink it in. It has quite a bit more glide then the Sabre and turns are quick, but no oversteer. The canopy will dive in a hard turn but the recovery ark is fairly short. Openings are soft, Ive propacked and psycho packed and had good openings either way. I psycho pack all the time now, its just easier. An all around great canopy.

lazerq3  (C -34113)

Feb 25, 2002, 7:06 PM
Post #11 of 17 (1518 views)
Shortcut

I've got a 150 on the way in about 3weeks loaded at 1.15 to 1. I've only heard good things about them!!!!

jason

AggieDave  (D License)

Feb 25, 2002, 7:22 PM
Post #12 of 17 (1515 views)
Shortcut

Personally, I've never psycho packed a Hornet, but then again, I don't now how to psycho pack...I had nothing but great openings with the way I packed it though: normal pro-pack, but I would really roll the 4 outside cells and stuff them into the center cell. I would also really roll the tail. Oh, also, how I folded it to go into the d-bag, I would do a sing s-fold (fold in half, then fold the nose back over on top of that fold), stuff that into the bag. It would leave a bit of the middle part of the nose out and a bit of the tail and lines hanging out...I would roll the part of the folded part of the nose forward (away from the lines) and into the bag. I would push the group of lines into the center of the bag and roll the tail into that to get it all to fit.

Kind of a long-winded response that may not make sense...if you're really curious, I could bum a friends digital camera and take pictures...

The worst thing that ever happened besides nice soft opening, is sometimes I would have semi-collapsed endcells, no biggie. Well, that and I would get funny looks sometimes since it looks a little messy for a pack job, but opens soo sweet. Smile

"And who are you?"
"I'm...Batman..."

Satan666  (D License)

Feb 27, 2002, 7:53 AM
Post #13 of 17 (1451 views)
Shortcut

I have a 150 loaded at about 1.3 :1. Has about 60 jumps and is an excellent canopy as you have already noticed on this thread. Compared to my sabre 150 it has a longer glide ratio, longer swoops , but it does not turn as aggressively as my Sabre which i miss a bit.
The most important thing I love about it is the openings none of those back breakers which the Sabre gave me (only had 3 then learn't to pack it properly didn't have any in the following 250 jumps).
recommended way to pack it is ProPack , and taking cells 1-4 and tucking them into 1/2 of cell 5 and cells 6-9 and tucking them into the the other 1/2 of cell 5.. Pro pack as normal, havn't had any problems yet.
Have the Hurricane 135 on the way so I hope it is as sweet as my Hornet.

skreamer

Feb 27, 2002, 8:39 AM
Post #14 of 17 (1446 views)
Shortcut

I've made just over 100 jumps on my Hornet '150 (loaded at 1.2:1). I pro pack it and am quite happy with the openings now. I was experiencing hard openings but then figured out that this was as a result of line-dump - sorted that and now its fine. I didn't find it quite as responsive as the two Sabres I have jumped (a '170 and a '135) - the turns didn't seem quite as *crisp*. Maybe just the different loadings, I don't know. But the landings are great, overall I really like it and highly recommend it.

BTW did all you guys who are psycho packing get bridle extensions? If so, how long - 6 inches?

Will

"Don't die until you're dead"

skymedic  (C 33561)

Feb 27, 2002, 11:56 AM
Post #15 of 17 (1428 views)
Shortcut

Mine is a foot long....Bridal extension that is....I only dream on the other thing....LOL

marc
BSBD

skydivemonkey  (B 102345)

Feb 27, 2002, 12:40 PM
Post #16 of 17 (1420 views)
Shortcut

You want a foot long little finger ??? Tongue Why?

cloud9  (D 27635)

Feb 27, 2002, 7:20 PM
Post #17 of 17 (1399 views)
Shortcut

I got a 6" extension on my 150 and it seems to be just about right.

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Swooping and Canopy Control

Search for (options)