Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Max.Suspended weights

Zoter

Feb 15, 2004, 11:18 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1074 views)
Shortcut
Max.Suspended weights Can't Post

OK...so I have bought a new canopy 215 ZP.Exe (Parachute systems, South Africa)
The 'posted' Max suspended weight on the brochure is 258lbs. Im 240-245 out the door.

Get my new rig (nice) ..pull out the canopy and the tag says the MSW is 237 Unsure

Ive emailed the manufacturer ( no reply yet)

do I need to be worried about going over the MSW by a couple of pounds??? ( silly question I know...but I know manufacturers build in a 'safety buffer)

And do max suspended weights apply to the weight of whats under the canopy ( ie my exit weight minus the canopies weight) or is it everything?

Anybody got any comments/views?

(This post was edited by Zoter on Feb 15, 2004, 11:21 AM)

cadmium  (C 34334)

Feb 15, 2004, 11:37 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zoter] Max.Suspended weights [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if this helps but I've loaded my old hornet 150 20lbs over max and have known others to do the same with hornets and tri's. The thing I noticed is riser presure went up. Though, I've never jumped a ZP before.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Feb 15, 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cadmium] Max.Suspended weights [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not sure if this helps but I've loaded my old hornet 150 20lbs over max and have known others to do the same with hornets and tri's. The thing I noticed is riser presure went up. Though, I've never jumped a ZP before.

At 100 jumps, if your profile is right, and jumping a canopy loaded to 1.3+ you do not seem to be the one to give sound advise on safety. jmo

cadmium  (C 34334)

Feb 15, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #4 of 12 (982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] Max.Suspended weights [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
At 100 jumps, if your profile is right, and jumping a canopy loaded to 1.3+ you do not seem to be the one to give sound advise on safety. jmo

FLAMES AWAYSShocked

Oh Skygod, my jump numbers and wing loading have nothing to do with this. He was looking for comments/views. Of which I provided. Why don't you give him your expert advise instead of flaming the person giving what was asked for. His wingloading is not in question just the canopy MSW. My safety is my concern, thanks. Should I list all my other flying experience, skills and licenses for you to review so I can get your ok to load my canopy at 1.3?

Zoter

Feb 15, 2004, 3:37 PM
Post #5 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

Easy tigers....
Just looking for your opinions...Im not a fool and dont take advice here as gospel..
Can see both sides of concern here
Thankyou for showing concern on 'lowbies' giving advice and thanks cadmium for your views......its all thrown into the stock pot.

Still looking for other views of all jumpers ......

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Feb 15, 2004, 5:28 PM
Post #6 of 12 (946 views)
Shortcut

>do I need to be worried about going over the MSW by a couple of pounds???

A lot of people do it. You're taking a (slight) risk by taking it outside its specification, but experience has shown that it's not a big one. You are far more likely to get hurt by mishandling the parachute than by having it not be able to withstand the load you put on it.

>And do max suspended weights apply to the weight of whats under
>the canopy ( ie my exit weight minus the canopies weight) or is it everything?

Everything.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Feb 15, 2004, 9:36 PM
Post #7 of 12 (904 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

FLAMES AWAYSShocked

Oh Skygod, my jump numbers and wing loading have nothing to do with this. He was looking for comments/views. Of which I provided. Why don't you give him your expert advise instead of flaming the person giving what was asked for. His wingloading is not in question just the canopy MSW. My safety is my concern, thanks. Should I list all my other flying experience, skills and licenses for you to review so I can get your ok to load my canopy at 1.3?

If you have all these skill and licenses would you advise a low time pilot to fly his airplane over grossed and out of CG. Why would you advise a low time jumper to fly his canopy at a weight higher than what the manufacture says. I could care less about your safey, Darwin will take care of that, I worry about you passing on your view of safety.

(This post was edited by mjosparky on Feb 16, 2004, 12:05 AM)

Zoter

Feb 16, 2004, 2:56 AM
Post #8 of 12 (875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] Max.Suspended weights [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Bill

Much appreciated

councilman24  (D 8631)

Feb 16, 2004, 5:31 AM
Post #9 of 12 (851 views)
Shortcut

Aside from low timers giving advice like old farts, structure isn't the problem. With 52 jumps, or a few more, your now jumping above the MAXIMUM suspended weight, normally ment for the most experienced jumpers. I'm not familiar with this canopy but I wouldn't have recommended that wing loading and even without the change in the placard, on the most docile of ZP canopies. It's not the normal jumps that are the problem. It's going to be when small things go wrong that you haven't experienced yet. Wind shear, getting cut off, off DZ landings, day dreaming instead of getting ready to landWink. Your going to have to be very careful to survive intact the next 100 jumps.

Sorry for the sour grapes but I've seen too many low timers under canopies they weren't ready for.

Zoter

Feb 16, 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #10 of 12 (812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [councilman24] Max.Suspended weights [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks councilman for your advice and views....really
215 was the canopy size recommended to me by more than one instructor based on my current ability.

Luckily the manufacturer has replied and corrected the posted MSW for this rig to 258lbs., otherwise I prob would not have jumped it.

I treat my life and safety with my own high regard, and am always very aware of my capabilities and will not exceed them....I'll look forward to sending you a PM around the 100 jumps mark.

I appreciate you have to treat all low time jumpers as complete idiots....but if I can just say...some , probably most are not...they simply have less digits in their log books...not more desire to hurt themselves.

(This post was edited by Zoter on Feb 16, 2004, 11:28 AM)

Zoter

Feb 16, 2004, 11:32 AM
Post #11 of 12 (805 views)
Shortcut

whoops.....just as a follow up ladies and gents
Through contacting the manufacturers directly I find that the Tech who wrote the MSW on this canopy had a brainfart.
MSW for this canopy is 258lbs not 237lbs

By the way as an aside...search the post here and you will find Parachute systems AKA 'Chute Shops' have had a rocky review in the customer service Dept.

Well 4 emails ...London-South Africa ( irrespective of different time zone) and query/problem solved in < 12 hours....

councilman24  (D 8631)

Feb 16, 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #12 of 12 (789 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I appreciate you have to treat all low time jumpers as complete idiots....but if I can just say...some , probably most are not...they simply have less digits in their log books...not more desire to hurt themselves.

I don't mean to treat them like idiots. But the problem is low timers don't know what they don't know. They haven't experienced the range of minor things that can happen and turn quickly into major things. It's those oddball things that can hurt and kill even the most experienced jumpers. There's a reason main canopy manufacturers list different max weight for different experience levels.

Have fun with your new gear.Cool

Later,

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)