Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Flat turn

amir1967  (B License)

Feb 18, 2002, 12:32 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Flat turn Can't Post

After a flat turn at low allt. would it be better to let the toggels up get some speed and then start the flair? ,or stay in half breaks and just continue the flair ?
In turms of stoping forward speed (easy landing ) ,or what will be the best option for this not perfect situation .
would different of canopy Specter ,Saber,or Stilleto will require a different respond

AM67

freeflir29  (D 10000000)

Feb 18, 2002, 12:42 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Re: Flat turn [In reply to] Can't Post

Basically....unless you are flying an accuracy canopy it would be best to go to full flight providing you have enough altitude to recover. More speed gives you better flare power and more control.

"I only have 133 jumps, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

Jimbo  (D License)

Feb 18, 2002, 1:05 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1251 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
providing you have enough altitude to recover.
And that's the important part. Remember, your canopy is going to dive a bit when you let up off the brakes.

Judge your altitude wisely.

-
Jim

base698  (D 23456)

Feb 18, 2002, 1:05 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1251 views)
Shortcut

Letting it up slow would help. On a big seven cell it is relatively easy to land in deep brakes and flare standing up. Letting up the toggles on a big seven cell may surge you into the ground so keeping them down is better. On a highly loaded stiletto I'd let them up slow and reflare. I did a 180 on a Stiletto 135 about a year and a half ago and half way down saw a canopy i was on a crash course with (he was hooking the same way as me and i was following the pattern :) ). I went half brakes flat turn away let up and flared standing up. Would have been a good swoop too. It was also only my 5th jump or so on the canopy, so make sure you practice that a lot early on. Even though I've had that happen the thought of it still scares me...

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Feb 19, 2002, 2:35 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1200 views)
Shortcut

>After a flat turn at low allt. would it be better to let the toggels up get some speed and then start the flair?

After a perfect flat turn, you should not need to do anything beyond releasing the toggles and going back to full flight. At the end of such a 'perfect' turn you should be at normal flying speed. If you need to hit the brakes a little to slow down, add a little more opposite brake in the turn. If your canopy dives a little to recover its speed, use a little less opposite brake. After such a turn you are in a good position to immediately flare or turn since your canopy is at its normal, or trim, speed.

If you are very low (below 50 feet or so) then you may need to start the flare while you're turning. In that case the flat turn turns into a flare turn, and you end up landing deep in both brakes. As you might expect this needs a lot of practice to get the timing down.

-bill von

amir1967  (B License)

Feb 19, 2002, 11:40 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1154 views)
Shortcut

Thank's for the respond I was below 50 feet or so when I finish a very slow flat turn and did let the braks up but at the same time i realized that it is time to flair so I did .
I ask this so that the next time I will have even softer landing , on the last one I had to pull my legs a bit up ,flat turn should be every one's freinds, there will be a day when it come handy
Amir

AM67

lindsey  (D 17865)

Feb 20, 2002, 5:18 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1098 views)
Shortcut

After a perfect flat turn, you should not need to do anything beyond releasing the toggles and going back to full flight. At the end of such a 'perfect' turn you should be at normal flying speed. If you need to hit the brakes a little to slow down, add a little more opposite brake in the turn. If your canopy dives a little to recover its speed, use a little less opposite brake. After such a turn you are in a good position to immediately flare or turn since your canopy is at its normal, or trim, speed.

If you are very low (below 50 feet or so) then you may need to start the flare while you're turning. In that case the flat turn turns into a flare turn, and you end up landing deep in both brakes. As you might expect this needs a lot of practice to get the timing down.

-bill von

Why is that "bil von?" It certainly seems after being in brakes you will dive. I don't recall ever not diving somewhat following such a turn.....but perhaps mine haven't been "perfect."

==8-0
Lindsey

"I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave him and go skydiving!"

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Feb 21, 2002, 4:32 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1068 views)
Shortcut

>Why is that "bil von?" It certainly seems after being in brakes you will dive.

Correct. There are two things going on here. First, if you go into brakes you will slow down. If you let them up, the canopy will dive to recover its airspeed. Second, if you turn without using both brakes, the canopy will dive (speed up) as you turn and recover (slow down) after you stop the turn. The trick is to use just enough opposite brake to keep the canopy from picking up speed in the turn. If you use too much opposite brake, the canopy will slow down too much in the turn, and it will dive after you end the turn and release both brakes. If you use too little opposite brake, the canopy will dive during the turn, and will flatten out and slow down after you stop the turn. If you use just the right amount of opposite brake, the canopy will come out of the turn with its original airspeed, and will neither dive nor have to slow down to go back to normal flight. This is a good thing since it gives you a lot of options - you can turn again or flare immediately at that speed.

-bill von

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)