Forums: Skydiving: Wind Tunnels:
Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

ParacleteAero

Feb 4, 2004, 2:33 PM
Post #1 of 76 (4179 views)
Shortcut
Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina Can't Post

Here in North Carolina a company is in negotiations with SkyVenture, LLC. How many skydivers feel that there is a market for a tunnel in North Carolina and would you use it.

Feel free to email response to paracleteAero@dropzone.com

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Feb 4, 2004, 3:03 PM
Post #2 of 76 (4134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ParacleteAero] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

Is'nt there already a really nice one just down the road?Wink

Have they overcame the cold air issues? If it was not a heated tunnel it would just be too cold much of the year for me.

Droopy  (D 26099)

Feb 4, 2004, 3:09 PM
Post #3 of 76 (4130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

The tunnel in Raeford will be climate controlled.

Which other tunnel are you speaking of?

Premier LouDiamond  (D 25931)
Feb 4, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #4 of 76 (4118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ParacleteAero] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

OOOOOOO, I'd use itLaugh Be sure the tunnel has the Birdman option on it so we can fly tooTongueLaugh "if you build it, they will come"Wink

Brisco  (B 26372)

Feb 4, 2004, 3:28 PM
Post #5 of 76 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Sign me up now!SmileSmileSmile

colbrodie  (D 24692)

Feb 4, 2004, 5:36 PM
Post #6 of 76 (4070 views)
Shortcut

Sign me up! I want a wind tunnel that Monkeys can use! Cool

A wind tunnel in Raeford would ROCK!

usskydiver  (D 12780)

Feb 4, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #7 of 76 (4061 views)
Shortcut

Not only would I use it but I'd want a job there. There's a (larger than one would think) market due to the scheduling nightmare and questionable reliability of the "local" wind tunnel "just down the road"

Just my thoughts.....

hipgnosis  (D 19216)

Feb 4, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #8 of 76 (4063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Droopy] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a rather nice wind tunnel on Fort Bragg....

A bit more difficult to get in to than the local Perris Skyventure though! Laugh

usskydiver  (D 12780)

Feb 4, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #9 of 76 (4062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hipgnosis] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

Tried to get in there lately....you'd think it was Ft. Knox or something....

Tim

In reply to:
There is a rather nice wind tunnel on Fort Bragg....

A bit more difficult to get in to than the local Perris Skyventure though! Laugh

Amanda965  (B 26264)

Feb 4, 2004, 6:31 PM
Post #10 of 76 (4054 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colbrodie] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

If it is as good as the one on Orlando, half the drive. NC is really a pretty central location for alot of east coast jumpers, but can you jump there in the winter?? That's the only downfall that I see is the warmth of Florida in the winter.

Synapse  (D 30163)

Feb 4, 2004, 7:01 PM
Post #11 of 76 (4038 views)
Shortcut

Can I go ahead and book some time? Wink I for one would surely be there and I'm sure that a lot of others, as someone has already mentioned, on the east coast would love its location too.

-syn

foxyroxtail  (D 21592)

Feb 4, 2004, 7:07 PM
Post #12 of 76 (4036 views)
Shortcut

I jumped in the tunnel in FL when it was 29 degrees outside. I'd do the same in NC. Plastic garbage bag in the jump suit, neoprene gloves, and hand warmers taped up under the chamber seats. Not great, but tunnel time is tunnel time. And 29 degrees in NC is usually reserved for Dec., Jan, and Feb. early mornings only. Average highs even in Jan bottom out in the mid 40's, and are into the 50's by middle Feb.

PM me for a chat about a possible NC investor. We know someone that has asked MANY questions about it in the past. Other viable investors, location, market research would be important info for them...

Pam

MattM  (D 26359)

Feb 4, 2004, 7:29 PM
Post #13 of 76 (4032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [foxyroxtail] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I jumped in the tunnel in FL when it was 29 degrees outside. I'd do the same in NC.

As stated above, the tunnel will be climate controlled.

John4455  (D 22657)

Feb 5, 2004, 4:39 AM
Post #14 of 76 (3996 views)
Shortcut

I would. Several years ago there were on-going rumours that someone was going to build one in Charlotte near the Carowinds amusement park.

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Feb 5, 2004, 5:21 AM
Post #15 of 76 (3980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John4455] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.bodyflight.net/aac_opening_soon.html This one maybe?

Ron

Feb 5, 2004, 5:36 AM
Post #16 of 76 (3971 views)
Shortcut

Im more interested in the 8way team.Wink

Paige

Feb 5, 2004, 5:46 AM
Post #17 of 76 (3966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LouDiamond] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
"if you build it, they will come"Wink

Not necessarly, there is a tunnel being built in NJ so you may be spreading things thin. They would be very close and compete in the same market as far s wind tunnels go since they are few and far between. I think they would probably be the two closest ones. Just a business perspective though.

TonyT  (D 7132)

Feb 5, 2004, 5:59 AM
Post #18 of 76 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Man that would be cool, a Tunnel in Raeford! I feel there will be a maket for your tunnel. I'm excited, It appears it may be walking distance from my house and walking distance from work.

Blue Skies, Tony T

bkdice  (C 33588)

Feb 5, 2004, 8:19 AM
Post #19 of 76 (3919 views)
Shortcut

I'm sure it would get a lot of business from VA - myself included!

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Feb 5, 2004, 11:21 AM
Post #20 of 76 (3869 views)
Shortcut

The site is less than a mile down the road from Raeford, and yes, we skydive all year long in North Carolina. It's never too cold to jump there.

Chuck

base698  (D 23456)

Feb 5, 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #21 of 76 (3854 views)
Shortcut

It would definitly be cool. I'd use it and would like to work there as well. Only thing I'd say is build it a little closer to TSP :)

EDYDO  (D 1521)

Feb 5, 2004, 2:37 PM
Post #22 of 76 (3828 views)
Shortcut

Yeah. I would use it. The one at Bragg is not available to me.

Ed

(This post was edited by EDYDO on Feb 5, 2004, 4:10 PM)

ChasingBlueSky  (D License)

Feb 5, 2004, 2:55 PM
Post #23 of 76 (3819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EDYDO] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't the tunnel at Bragg a re-circulated one?

Does anyone else feel they are building too many tunnels? I just don't want any shutting down for my own selfish reasons.

SD Az is now advertising theirs, Perris has one, Orlando has one, we have the one in Vegas, the one in Tenn...the one in NJ has the greenlight as well once that "extreme park" gets up and going.

Is there really a market for all of those tunnels? The one in Orlando is in the most amazing spot - people get off at the same exit to go to Universal Studios and International Drive (tourist trap) is right there! Is it really financially feasable to open a windtunnel in a location that will try to stay open just from jumpers?

Premier LouDiamond  (D 25931)
Feb 5, 2004, 3:14 PM
Post #24 of 76 (3816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChasingBlueSky] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Is it really financially feasable to open a windtunnel in a location that will try to stay open just from jumpers?

As much as the military is seeking outside resources such as AFF training so that guys can challenge the HALO course I can also see military units using this tunnel. The one at Bragg can be booked for months on end sometimes. Also the short/no notice ability to take ones A team to the tunnel without having to plan it months out is definately gonna be an attraction. Throw in the civillian/foreign teams that come to NC to train with the Knights or by themselves and the average skydiver and I think it will run pretty much year round easily.

ChasingBlueSky  (D License)

Feb 5, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #25 of 76 (3814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LouDiamond] Would you use a wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:
Is it really financially feasable to open a windtunnel in a location that will try to stay open just from jumpers?

As much as the military is seeking outside resources such as AFF training so that guys can challenge the HALO course I can also see military units using this tunnel. The one at Bragg can be booked for months on end sometimes. Also the short/no notice ability to take ones A team to the tunnel without having to plan it months out is definately gonna be an attraction. Throw in the civillian/foreign teams that come to NC to train with the Knights or by themselves and the average skydiver and I think it will run pretty much year round easily.

But have you noticed the HUGE cost differance between what a whuffo pays for 2 minutes and what a skydiver pays? It may run a lot, but it won't be as profitable.

Also, it may not be able to run 24/7 if the neighbors complain about the noise.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Wind Tunnels

Search for (options)