Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Does canopy COLOR influence/increase pack volume?

Premier skydiverek  (C 41769)

Jan 28, 2004, 10:26 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1831 views)
Shortcut
Does canopy COLOR influence/increase pack volume? Can't Post

1.) Does canopy COLOR has an influence on canopy pack volume?

2.) Are all fabrics white when they are first manufactured (their generic color), and then dyed?

3.) Do different colors (blue, red, orange, etc.) influence pack volume to different degrees?

(This post was edited by skydiverek on Jan 28, 2004, 10:46 AM)

diablopilot  (D License)

Jan 28, 2004, 10:39 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydiverek] Does canopy COLOR influence/increase pack volume? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:

Not by any noticable amount.

Quote:
2.) Are all fabrics white when they are first manufactured (their generic color), and then dyed?

AFAIK the THREAD that material is woven from is dyed prior to the weaving of the fabric.

Quote:
3.) Do different colors (bluem red, orange, etc.) influence pack volume to different degrees?

See #1.

Premier skydiverek  (C 41769)

Jan 28, 2004, 10:48 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Does canopy COLOR influence/increase pack volume? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
the THREAD that material is woven from is dyed prior to the weaving of the fabric.

What is the original (generic) thread color then? Smile

riggermick  (D 17071)

Jan 28, 2004, 11:03 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydiverek] Does canopy COLOR influence/increase pack volume? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
the THREAD that material is woven from is dyed prior to the weaving of the fabric.

What is the original (generic) thread color then? Smile

Most fiber colors prior to dyeing are off white.

Mick.

diablopilot  (D License)

Jan 28, 2004, 11:04 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1751 views)
Shortcut

Natural, which is more commonly called white by skydivers.

NightJumper  (D License)

Jan 28, 2004, 1:35 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Absolutely, sometimes by as much as 10% or more.

No, the color is referred to as "Natural"

3.) Do different colors (blue, red, orange, etc.) influence pack volume to different degrees?

Yes, the darker colors tend to increase pack volume more.

diablopilot  (D License)

Jan 28, 2004, 2:14 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NightJumper] Does canopy COLOR influence/increase pack volume? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Absolutely, sometimes by as much as 10% or more.

Proof please.

KrisFlyZ  (C 34590)

Jan 28, 2004, 2:33 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1647 views)
Shortcut

Please read this article.

Its on the performance designs website. You will need adobe acrobat reader to view it.

Miami  (D 17626)

Jan 28, 2004, 3:05 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NightJumper] Does canopy COLOR influence/increase pack volume? [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes me think of what I heard about stripping the paint off of a 182. Takes off about 200lbs doesn't it? Makes sense that a canopy that was not dyed would pack up smaller than one that was.

I do remember that the rigger I started my training with way back when told me he noticed white canopies pack up a little smaller than dyed ones.

(This post was edited by Miami on Jan 28, 2004, 3:06 PM)

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)