Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Freeflying:
Freeflying Newbie ....

Zoter

Jan 12, 2004, 9:03 AM
Post #1 of 12 (907 views)
Shortcut
Freeflying Newbie .... Can't Post

Hiya Guys and Gals
Im a newbie to Freeflying...but am finally dipping my toes in the 'dirty' waters next month on a 10 day vacation...purely doing Freefly coached jumpsSmile I got my tickets booked....my rig all passed for Freeflying so Im hot to trot !

I have a couple of questions upfront....and would appreciate your views....or clickys to related threads !

1) Why do freeflyers wear two audibles..? Don't all the tones get a bit confusing Crazy

2) I want to get a new open faced helmet....something a bit tougher than a 'plastic' shell....Ideally I would like double audible mounts (preferably internal) and perhaps the option to mount a camera in the future......any personal recommendations folks ?

3) Any super tips on Sitflying for a newbie ??Tongue.....(

4) Any tips on some 'ground' work I can be working on/thinking about ...thats gonna be useful for sitflying.....things like stretches/Exercises/mental work.......

All help and comments....Very much appreciated y'all

(This post was edited by Zoter on Jan 12, 2004, 9:04 AM)

gus

Jan 12, 2004, 9:19 AM
Post #2 of 12 (890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zoter] Freeflying Newbie .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Darren,

Quote:
1) Why do freeflyers wear two audibles..?

You could argue for hours about whether a mechanical alti is more reliable than an electronic one but I've come to rely on my audibles and rarely look at my wrist alti so having 2 seems to make sense. Since the alarms go off at the same time it's not confusing. I have them over the same ear but I suppose you could have one over each.

Quote:
2) I want to get a new open faced helmet....

Have you looked at the 2K Composites helmets? I have an FFX which has been great. Before that I jumped a Gath and it's easy enough to attach an audible.

Quote:
3) Any super tips on Sitflying for a newbie ??

I found it difficult to get (and keep) my feet down at first. If you have the same problem (flying on your back, trying to force your feet down) remember it's much easier to push down when your feet are up against your arse rather than having your legs extended and flailing in the breeze.

Quote:
4) Any tips on some 'ground' work

When you're learning it's helpful to have a plan for each jump, to have specific things that you want to try or practice. Unless you don't mind just goofing about and laughing at how unstable you are (which is what I did!).

Have a great holiday. Smile

Gus

WrongWay  (D 27371)

Jan 12, 2004, 9:29 AM
Post #3 of 12 (885 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
1) Why do freeflyers wear two audibles..? Don't all the tones get a bit confusing Crazy

Not all FFers wear two, one will do for light (non competitive) freefly. The reason for two is this: One could fail. In freefly, altitude awareness becomes a bit more of an issue because in most freefly orientations (sit, headdown, backfly to be specific), you don't see the ground. Therefore, it's always good to have two audibles as opposed to one in case one fails, battery dies, etc., but it's not by any means a requirement.

In reply to:
2) I want to get a new open faced helmet....something a bit tougher than a 'plastic' shell....Ideally I would like double audible mounts (preferably internal) and perhaps the option to mount a camera in the future......any personal recommendations folks ?

I'd recommend Bonehead Composites or 2k Composites. They both deal with roughly the same materials, and are on the same level of quality for sure.

In reply to:
3) Any super tips on Sitflying for a newbie ??Tongue.....(

There are tons of threads on this. I won't go into details, but just remember to do all you can to form good habits, and not to form bad ones. Keep your legs in a nice wide stance, keep your torso straight, and remember, you're pushing the balls of your feet into the wind while "hanging" by your arms, NOT flying on your butt.

In reply to:
4) Any tips on some 'ground' work I can be working on/thinking about ...thats gonna be useful for sitflying.....things like stretches/Exercises/mental work.......

Ummm....for sitfly, not really...I'm having a brain fart right now...Crazy

Zoter

Jan 12, 2004, 9:33 AM
Post #4 of 12 (882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gus] Freeflying Newbie .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers Gus.....Smile

Zoter

Jan 12, 2004, 9:34 AM
Post #5 of 12 (881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WrongWay] Freeflying Newbie .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers wrongwaySmile

stuffit  (C 2)

Jan 12, 2004, 10:17 AM
Post #6 of 12 (861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WrongWay] Freeflying Newbie .... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
...keep your torso straight, and remember, you're pushing the balls of your feet into the wind while "hanging" by your arms, NOT flying on your butt.

Cant agree with you on the hanging by your arms part. Id say it is more like you want to feel air on upper back and fly your feet so that your arms are free to do whatever they feel like (even though you will still use them to fly, you shouldnt rely on them).

skreamer

Jan 12, 2004, 10:36 AM
Post #7 of 12 (847 views)
Shortcut

Do you own a camera? Even if you don't jump with one yet, you can still get the coach to firewire the jumps to your camera - better than having it on VHS. Also, ask if you can film your debriefs. From my experience coaches don't mind and it helps a lot when you watch the coach jumps with accompanying debriefs at a later date.

Will

PS until now I've always worn video when getting coaching, but won't do so in future. When paying that kind of money I'd prefer to have as few distractions as possible.

Zoter

Jan 12, 2004, 10:52 AM
Post #8 of 12 (839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skreamer] Freeflying Newbie .... [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah I do......funny you should say that...D/L all my FS1 coached jumps and studied them in the evening....made me a WHOLE lot more clued up on my mistakes/gains for the next days lifts.....
Cheers

StevePhelps  (D 26782)

Jan 12, 2004, 11:11 AM
Post #9 of 12 (827 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

There's a guy at Skydive Dallas (dang if his name doesn't escape me, but others will know) who uses a beach ball in a swimming pool and swears he will have you sitting and dock after one lesson in the pool with him

WrongWay  (D 27371)

Jan 12, 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #10 of 12 (825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stuffit] Freeflying Newbie .... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Cant agree with you on the hanging by your arms part. Id say it is more like you want to feel air on upper back and fly your feet so that your arms are free to do whatever they feel like (even though you will still use them to fly, you shouldnt rely on them).

I know, I shouldn't have put it that way, I just couldn't think of any other way to put it. I was trying to emphasize on not flying on your butt. Cool

Thanks for the correction. Cool

gus

Jan 13, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #11 of 12 (759 views)
Shortcut

If you're jumping at Langar the place is crawling with freeflyers of all levels to swap tips and techniques with - and Steve Newman (Bullet Freefly school) loves to have people ask him for advice so why not indulge him Smile.

Gus

Chapsta  (C 35558)

Jan 13, 2004, 1:56 PM
Post #12 of 12 (725 views)
Shortcut

Well, I don't have a ton of experience... but I've become a stable sitflyer by doing alot of ground work with friends. You can use walls to lean on and make sure your torso is straight. Keep your legs realy wide and just let the muscle memory sink in. One thing I did for a while was while driving remember to sit with correct posture. You'll notice how akward it feels to sit with good posture (head squarely on shoulders, torso straight... etc.) but you're sitting correctly at that point. Oh, yeah... number one thing at first... JUST KEEP THOSE FEET DOWN. I MEANT IT... JUST KEEP THEM THERE AND USE THAT STRAIGHT TORSO YOU DROVE TO THE DZ WITH!.

So much fun!

Chaps

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Freeflying

Search for (options)