Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Riser covers jamming

696GrocuttT  (C 103116)

Dec 2, 2003, 2:32 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1193 views)
Shortcut
Riser covers jamming Can't Post

I remember reading somewhere (uk.rec.skydiveing??) of a case where someone had routed the main risers under the protection flaps on a wings container instead of over them (see attached pics). The result was that one of the covers jammed.

Presumably this was because the force applied to the tuck flap is evenly distributed across it instead of pealing it from one end????

So what happens if you have a total mal on your main (when its packed correctly). When your reserve is deploying the riser covers are still closed and the reserve risers are by design under the protection flaps. Is there as chance of them jamming in the same way?

I'm sure this has been thought off and tested a lot. Just curious to know what the answer is??

(This post was edited by 696GrocuttT on Dec 2, 2003, 6:40 AM)
Attachments: over6.jpg (53.2 KB)
  under2.jpg (51.2 KB)

darkvapor

Dec 2, 2003, 5:30 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [696GrocuttT] Riser covers jamming [In reply to] Can't Post

Edited: Sorry.. Misread your original post... Angelic

(This post was edited by darkvapor on Dec 2, 2003, 6:30 AM)

696GrocuttT  (C 103116)

Dec 2, 2003, 6:15 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darkvapor] Riser covers jamming [In reply to] Can't Post

OK lets start again. As I already stated the riser covers can jam if the main risers are placed UNDER the protection flaps. This is a label on the flap reminding you to place the main risers on top of that flap.

My question is if the riser cover can jam if opening force comes from below the protection flap what happens if your main risers are on top of the flap (as per instructions) but you have a total mal and your reserve deploys with the riser covers still closed??? Then the opening force will come from below the protection flap

(This post was edited by 696GrocuttT on Dec 2, 2003, 6:39 AM)

HeatherB  (B License)

Dec 2, 2003, 6:40 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Why not just go to the source (the manufacturer/designer) with this kind of question?

You could ask Henri: henri@skydivewings.com and then post his reply if you have his permission.

--Heather

Pablito  (D 24827)

Dec 2, 2003, 9:14 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1013 views)
Shortcut

Read the little tab that says place main risers on top of this flap, If you follow the instructions the problem won't happen.

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Dec 2, 2003, 9:18 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
My question is if the riser cover can jam if opening force comes from below the protection flap what happens if your main risers are on top of the flap (as per instructions) but you have a total mal and your reserve deploys with the riser covers still closed??? Then the opening force will come from below the protection flap

Very good question, I hadn't ever really thought of that.

I have had one reserve deployment on my Micron (it has the same type of riser covers where the main risers need to be on top of the inside flap) after releasing my main, so the covers were already open.

I'll do some tests with a spring scale and see how hard it is to get the covers to open by the reserve risers with the main risers still in place and closed.

I don't think this has ever come before because it hasn't been an issue before. It would be good to hear from a manufacturer about this though. (It would save me from unpacking my reserve).

Derek

696GrocuttT  (C 103116)

Dec 2, 2003, 9:57 AM
Post #7 of 10 (987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hooknswoop] Riser covers jamming [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
It would be good to hear from a manufacturer about this though. (It would save me from unpacking my reserve).

As HeatherB suggested I've sent Wings an email.

It would also be interesting to know how likely the main risers are to cause it to jam if they are incorrectly routed. From what I remember of the post to uk.rec.skydiving only one of the riser covers jammed (probably making the jumpers life a bit more interesting Crazy). I would play around I bit myself but I don't own a wings container.

(This post was edited by 696GrocuttT on Dec 2, 2003, 9:58 AM)

billbooth  (D 3546)

Dec 3, 2003, 11:54 AM
Post #8 of 10 (817 views)
Shortcut

I the case of a total malfunction, when the reserve container empties, the riser covers become so loose, they almost fall open. They are only " tight" when the reserve container is full.

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Dec 3, 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #9 of 10 (811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billbooth] Riser covers jamming [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Bill. I knew there was a reason that they opened easily in the event of a total, just couldn't think of it. Now I don't have to re-pack my reserveWink.

Derek

alexey  (D 22)

Dec 5, 2003, 5:48 AM
Post #10 of 10 (707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billbooth] Riser covers jamming [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I the case of a total malfunction, when the reserve container empties, the riser covers become so loose, they almost fall open. They are only " tight" when the reserve container is full.

Only my thought.....
Why not to fix it some way?
Velcro, tacktab, ets...
To make it murfy-free.

(Based on real history - I sow packer why place main risers under that flap, motivate it easilly - its easier to pack :))

Sorry for bad English

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)