Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Re: [freakydiver] Injury in San Diego

alan  (D 17868)

Nov 24, 2003, 9:49 PM
Post #1 of 2 (656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [freakydiver] Injury in San Diego Can't Post

Quote:
Wait - I'm dumb as shit here - I just thought of the only skydiving helmet that actually is a protective device IMHO - the ProTec. Ask yourself - why don't people wear protecs? They are bigger, bulkier, and just flat out not cool looking. But fact of the matter is, if you make a mistake and your head hits the ground, wouldn't you rather have the protec and its shock absorbing/dissipating charecteristics?

"My face left a four inch divot where my factory diver hit. "

"There is no way you can tell me that the helmet was a bad thing - if it weren't for that helmet, I would most certainly not be here today. "

It would appear that the Pro-tec is not the only helmet that offers protection, or at least if you are going to collide face first. It seems to me that we as skydivers don't want an industry standard for safety in our helmets, like the DOT motorcycle helmets. Seems as if their stats are good enough to satisfy us and we don't want to put pressure on the fly by night manufacturers looking to make a quick easy dollar.

I wonder how using a safety device such as a helmet for a camera mounting platform affects its' performance in a collision? Now I wonder about all of those motorcycle stats. Do they routinely attach cameras to their helmets? How would that affect those stats?

One more question. About that face induced divot with the facory diver, would a Pro-tec offered the same level of protection, being that it is open faced? There is always a better way, we just have to find it.

Auryn  (D 27808)

Nov 24, 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #2 of 2 (611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alan] Injury in San Diego [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:
Wait - I'm dumb as shit here - I just thought of the only skydiving helmet that actually is a protective device IMHO - the ProTec. Ask yourself - why don't people wear protecs? They are bigger, bulkier, and just flat out not cool looking. But fact of the matter is, if you make a mistake and your head hits the ground, wouldn't you rather have the protec and its shock absorbing/dissipating charecteristics?

I will agree with you on the pro tec. I had a z1 (the older design, circa 1998 or so.. I hit the wall in the pigeon forge wind tunnel wearing it, and got knocked clear out for a second. I looked at the video, and the impact was not bad.. I just slid off the wind and hit the PADDED wall with a slight back slide.

I was scetchy from then on.. later on when the helmet started falling apart I knew there was no protection.. no quality.

when someone I knew died from a head injury wearing a z1 (that may or may not have made a difference, this is purely my experience/opinion) I knew what I had to do. I threw it away, because I could not in good concious sell it to someone and I certainly wasnt going to wear mine anymore.

I now have downsized and love my new canopy and am in the realm where head injury is a serious concern.

and I wear a pro tec when I jump it.

my other helmet is a hawkeye camera helmet which is the highest quality, most durable skydiving specific helmet I have laid my hands on. I will be jumping it with my new canopy once I get used to it.

this weekend I biffed hard (Im 5 for 6 on landing the new canopy standing up, I flared 2 feet too low being in the habit of landing my 150 for 200 jumps) I hit my head and didnt even notice it.. due to the pro tec. the only way I knew I had hit my head was I noticed I had bit my lip a few hours later. I walked away humbled and knowing I have a lot to learn, but I was safe.

I do know one thing. I am going to wear the best head protection I think I can get on every jump, because I know I am not perfect and I might screw up. And so I keep learning.

re: the bulkiness/looks: I got a comment this weekend as well: "what kind of helmet is that? Its a protec. reply. Thats a really cool looking protec!" The newer ones are actually pretty sweet looking.

my opinion: I buy my gear for what it does and how it performs. Not what it looks like.

Blue Ones !

Bryan

D 27808

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)