Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Opinion Racer NOS Elite

ramon  (D 26115)

Mar 29, 2001, 6:14 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Opinion Racer NOS Elite Can't Post

Racers are hotly debated People Luv them or hate them.
I looked at my friends Power racer and it seemed very very secure at the main flap and the riser covers (for free flying)

Not including reserve repack complaints by some riggers(BFD)

1. What is negative about them? (I have heard of quality problems but some say it is BS)

thanks
ramon

grasshopper  (D License)

Mar 29, 2001, 9:31 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1674 views)
Shortcut
Re: Opinion Racer NOS Elite [In reply to] Can't Post

negatives: a lot of velcro, more work to pack, cypres costs more
positives: secure, fast reserve, comfortable
I own 2 and may buy another.

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Mar 30, 2001, 3:00 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1633 views)
Shortcut

Other than finding a rigger capable of packing it correctly without too much whining the only real downside to the Racer is the amount of velcro on it. Keep a close eye on the velcro and have it replaced as neccessary and you can freefly with it safely. Personally I have NEVER heard of a quality problem with Racers; every one I've ever seen has been extremely well built. Remember that Jump Shack has been around for a LONG time; they would never have lasted this long if they were putting out crap gear.

One thing to consider with the Power Racer is container/reserve sizing - some of the Power Racers are too small to fit both a reserve and a Cypres in. Give Jump Shack a call if you have questions about that.

Personally I loved the old SST Racer I owned and my b/f's Racer Elite. Both were super comfy.

pull and flare,
lisa

rhino  (D 22500)

Jun 4, 2001, 2:26 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1575 views)
Shortcut

I own a Racer NOS. Comfortable, fast reserve, and Fail Safe.. Look up that word :) It's important. I love my Racer.
Blue Skies!! Rhino.

weid14  (D 20292)

Jun 4, 2001, 3:51 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1565 views)
Shortcut

My first two rigs were Racers, I've since sold them both - very comfortable, but a pain to pack w/ the Velcro riser covers (needed for free-flight), but I do believe they changed their design on the trough style to incorporate secondary covers. They also did come out recently with non-Velcro over the shoulder "tuck tab" design - pretty slick. I had 4 reserve rides total on the two I owned - I'm still here. Believe it or not, some riggers prefer the Racer. I, however, now jump Mirage. My personal opinion is that its the best engineered rig out there right now

wingnut  (D 27688)

Jun 9, 2001, 8:57 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1534 views)
Shortcut

i'm currently jumping a racer built in 1983!!! hows that for quality. i don't know how many jumps it has on it but it seems to be holding up very well. it's an older design so i can't say much about the new ones. it is very comfortable though, i like how it flexes between the two pack trays.

<wingnut>
"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Jun 11, 2001, 10:07 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1508 views)
Shortcut

First of all, Racers have stood the test of time.
Secondly, they wear like iron.
Lisa was correct that the volume charts published by the Raer factory are .... how do we put this? Tight in a humid climate like Florida, but unrelated to reality in arid places like deserts! After struggling with factory numbers for too many years I resorted to lying to the factory. For example, I now tell them to build a new Racer to fit a Raven 181, when I intended to pack a Raven 150 into it.
Finally, my pet peeve about Racers is that none of the expensive metal T-bodkins are Cypres compatible, much less Racer Tandem compatible. If you are curious, I can send your rigger instructions on how to build his own Racer/Cypres compatible temporary closing loops made from a bit of Cypres cord and a couple of lumps of scrap iron. The price approaches zero.
Some riggers love Racers and other riggers hate Racers. It only took me 10 years to learn how to pack them.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)