Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Pc in tow / hesitation

Geoff

Mar 28, 2001, 4:25 AM
Post #1 of 4 (912 views)
Shortcut
Pc in tow / hesitation Can't Post

Here's a thought - A PC hesitation is indistinguishable from PC in tow at the time it happens to you, and a PC in tow is one of the nastiest malfunctions because you can't chop it and so have the risk of the 2 PCs tangling together.

I've heard of people 'sitting up' in attempt to clear a hesitation. It seems to me this increases the chance of the PCs tangling, by bring the 2 PCs closer together.

Wouldn't a better idea be to dive forwards, head-low? You'd acheive the same in terms of increasing the airspeed around the main PC, but also if you pull your reserve in this position, you should have less chance of the 2 PCs tangling. Even better than being flat. No?

One disadvantage will be that if the hesitation clears, you'll probably get a harder main opening, but you might be grateful for that in the high-speed mal situation.

Of course none of this should affect your decision to go for your reserve drill when you reach your hard-deck.

Has this been considered before? Does anyone think this makes any sense? Or does anybody think it's stupidly dangerous?

Thanks for any feedback,

Geoff

Craig

Mar 28, 2001, 12:19 PM
Post #2 of 4 (874 views)
Shortcut
Re: Pc in tow / hesitation [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
A PC hesitation is indistinguishable from PC in tow at the time it happens to you, and a PC in tow is one of the nastiest malfunctions because you can't chop it and so have the risk of the 2 PCs tangling together.
I think a hesitation should be pretty easily distinguishable from a tow. IMO a tow would put the PC at full extention of the bridle to whatever is creating the tow. A hesitation would have the PC bouncing around on your back is my impression. Either way if they don't clear you are faced with either cutting away and pulling the reserve, or just going for the silver. This is one reason for the reserve free bag type of deployment and the thicker, draggier bridle of the reserve. If the reserve PC tangles with something the thicker bridle MAY be able to extract the bag and release the reserve canopy. And if the canopy is released from the free bag there is nothing connecting the bag to canopy to create problems thereafter.
In reply to:
I've heard of people 'sitting up' in attempt to clear a hesitation.
Sitting up and/or looking over the shoulder can disrupt the bruble and possibly allow the PC to catch air and lift the main bag off. I personally seen a video of a student that had a lazy PC throw and it was bouncing around on their back. After a second she thought WTF? and looked over her shoulder and the PC took off and she had a normal deployment from there.
In reply to:
Wouldn't a better idea be to dive forwards, head-low? You'd acheive the same in terms of increasing the airspeed around the main PC, but also if you pull your reserve in this position, you should have less chance of the 2 PCs tangling. Even better than being flat. No?
I am under the impression form reading different mal situations and procedures for correcting that you should not sit up when deploying the reserve with a PC in tow as it may increase the risk of entanglement. I would think that going head low would have the same effect, and I suppose could risk canopy damage as well.
In reply to:
Of course none of this should affect your decision to go for your reserve drill when you reach your hard-deck.
Correct.

Craig

Geoff

Mar 29, 2001, 12:40 AM
Post #3 of 4 (836 views)
Shortcut

Maybe I wasn't clear - My point was that if you're feet-low, then the reserve PC will launch backwards towards the PC in tow, but if you're head low, then it will launch forwards, away from the main PC and bridle. So there should be less chance of them tangling.

Anyway, it was just a thought. It's never happened to me, and if it did, I'd probably just pull the handles and not think about anything else.

Geoff

cyberskydive  (C 28534)

Mar 29, 2001, 8:01 PM
Post #4 of 4 (794 views)
Shortcut

I posed a similar Q?? to a fellow jumper after another guy pulled his reserve after misrouting his PC. Some Reserve PC's have pockeets on the bridle to help get the thing out if the PC doesnt do it for whatever reason. The theory is that the reserve PC bridle hads enough drag to get the canopy out. The guy who misrouted had no probs whatsoever, but I wouldnt wanna be there-LOL

D.Chisolm C-28534
webmaster@sunraydesigns.com
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)