Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Checking for canopy damage and cleaning

696GrocuttT  (C 103116)

Oct 28, 2003, 1:20 AM
Post #1 of 7 (588 views)
Shortcut
Checking for canopy damage and cleaning Can't Post

I did a night jump at the weekend that didn't quite go to plan and I ended up landing in a pine forest. Just saw the trees in time to flare. I ended up being suspended about 30 foot up for about half an hour.

After getting it down in the morning I was completely amazed to find no apparent damage (We checked both the bottom and top surfaces and all the line connection points). It rained a lot during the night but its completely dried out now.

I've had one of the reserve packers on the DZ have a look at it and he said to jump it.

After giving it another good check I'm thinking of jumping it this weekend, probably a hop and pop to start with and if thats ok will go for a terminal opening.

questions:-
1) Am I right in assuming that if its going to fail it will do it during deployment and not at some random time (like when I'm coming into land).

2) what other checks should I do to the canopy.

3) Some of the lines are now have green/brown stains on them. Any way to clean them without causing damage.

4) the toggles also need cleaning, I was thinking of taking them off and putting them through the washing machine. Is this ok????

Chrisky

Oct 28, 2003, 2:06 AM
Post #2 of 7 (578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [696GrocuttT] Checking for canopy damage and cleaning [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, generally you should have a certified rigger take a look at it if you're not sure about it.

That said, if the top and bottom skin are alright and the lines too, including the connections points, there shouldn't be any damage inside the canopy. I've seen an really old rigger (in terms of experience, 40+ yrs riggin') pull a canopy from a tree bringing down half of the tree. I thought he'd waste the canopy, but it was in perfect order, only the lines had to be untwisted (jumper cut away when hanging in the harness at 2 feet).
So a hop'n'pop could be fine, then try some flares, if that all works, you'll be fine.Smile
That nylon is tough stuff.

Didn't you have a lit landing area on that jump?CrazyTongue

696GrocuttT  (C 103116)

Oct 28, 2003, 2:42 AM
Post #3 of 7 (569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chrisky] Checking for canopy damage and cleaning [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
That said, if the top and bottom skin are all right and the lines too, including the connections points, there shouldn't be any damage inside the canopy.

That what I was hopping, but I wasn't sure if there could be damage to the stitching due to the abnormal loads on the canopy when I was hanging from it.

Quote:
Didn't you have a lit landing area on that jump?

Ya we did. But even when I was hanging off the front risers I was still going backwards VERY quickly (apparently the ground winds were ok but the uppers were really bad). All but one person on my load landed off. That and the fact that it was my first jump at that DZ made for an interesting night.

Quote:
That nylon is tough stuff.

No kidding!!! I thought it was a goner for sureWink

andy2

Oct 28, 2003, 5:32 AM
Post #4 of 7 (539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chrisky] Checking for canopy damage and cleaning [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
That said, if the top and bottom skin are all right and the lines too, including the connections points, there shouldn't be any damage inside the canopy.

That sounds a little complacent Tongue Why don't you just hang it up and check out the ENTIRE canopy? If for nothing else so you have an enjoyable hop/pop and don't have to worry about it so much. Pirate

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Oct 28, 2003, 6:26 AM
Post #5 of 7 (530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [696GrocuttT] Checking for canopy damage and cleaning [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
1) Am I right in assuming that if its going to fail it will do it during deployment and not at some random time (like when I'm coming into land).

More than likely yes, if it s going to fail, it will be on opening. The exception would be if there is already a tear, it can continue to rip anytime or steering lines.

Quote:
2) what other checks should I do to the canopy.

As long as a rigger has looked it over, you should be fine.

Quote:
3) Some of the lines are now have green/brown stains on them. Any way to clean them without causing damage.

Don't worry about cleanig them.

Quote:
4) the toggles also need cleaning, I was thinking of taking them off and putting them through the washing machine. Is this ok????

Take them off the steering lines and clean them by hand. A washing machine could damage the grommets. Be sure to rinse them completely.

Derek

councilman24  (D 8631)

Oct 28, 2003, 6:55 AM
Post #6 of 7 (524 views)
Shortcut

Each stitch and each piece of fabric should be inspected. That's usually more than "taking a look at it." If you've really looked at all the seams and the entire top and bottom surface you still have each interior rib and the slider to check, as well as the entire length of each line. If you don't have a place to hang the canopy up by it's tail and look in each cell, put on a head lamp, sit on a stool that isn't going to cause damage, and pull each cell over your head looking for damage to the ribs. A branch might easily have damaged a rib through the front with out poking a hole in the surface. A small easy to repair hole may get worse as you jump it.

Also make sure your reserve container didn't get punctured by a branch or damaged during recovery.

Ok, that's the politically correct answer. I'd probably just jump the damn thing.Wink And you've got a great NSTIWTIWGTD story. Not many people end up in trees these days. Used to be routine.Wink

dragon2  (D 101989)

Oct 28, 2003, 8:10 AM
Post #7 of 7 (510 views)
Shortcut

Heh heh I just did my first solo night jump this weekend (did a tandem night jump last year). I always had very bad night vision but since I had my eyes lasered this problem seems mostly to have gone away. Tried to arrange a tandem this year too tho, but couldn't. Then thought, well, if I grab a 230 student canopy I should be alright even if I don't flare at all. Too bad, too much wind. So I ended up going by myself, on my own spectre 135. Didn't see the village (Teuge), nor the airfield (not to mention the lit T) at all from the airplane. Nor in freefall, and not under canopy! UnsureCrazy

I knew roughly where to fly to, but I never did find out where exactly it was I landed! Never been there in my life...... At 2000 ft I was over some houses/trees, so I got the hell out of there. Picked a nice field near a road but got blown backwards over it at <1000 ft (I rarely get blown backwards with a 135!!!), so had to quickly pick another field which was easy because there were lots around. Landed going forward, and landed okay, but on the other side of the road with a big ditch in between. Spent a long time walking around the fields trying to find a way out..... Then walked on a road for some time, still with no clue as to where I was Crazy I did have my handy so I called to let manifest know I was alright but since I didn't know where the heck I was they couldn't pick me up..... Ended up hitchhiking (nice to have those breaklights when walking in the dark! at least the cars SEE you...). First road sign we passed said Teuge 4 km. Ooops....

Out of 10 jumpers, only 4 landed where they were supposed to!

I was glad I jumped at my own DZ, I wouldn't ever jump at a new DZ for the first time doing something as difficult/different as a night jump! and even so, I had quite enough troubles.... CrazyLaugh

What is it with the wind, does it pick up when it's dark or what?? Nobody had a clue apperantly Crazy The ground wind was okay......

Hey I made my first (real) night jump!!!SmileSmileSmile

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)