Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Physical training?

MarkM  (C 35089)

Jan 15, 2002, 10:31 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Physical training? Can't Post

Any of you guys do any sort of physical training or stretches to keep in shape for skydiving?

I haven't dove in a while and will be starting back up with a 3 day tunnel camp in March. I'm rowing about 3-5k a day for strength, but I'm conerned that I won't be getting all the muscles I'll be using during training. I don't want to be so sore after the first day in the tunnel that I'm less useful the other 2 days.

Are there certain stretches that will help? One of my old instructors suggested Yoga to me, and I have a beginners book on it, but are there certain asanas I should be focusing on?

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Jan 15, 2002, 11:20 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Re: Physical training? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yoga is the way to go from what I've heard, and I've also heard that working the entire body is key.

pull and flare,
lisa
--

nacmacfeegle  (D 11004)

Jan 15, 2002, 11:40 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1037 views)
Shortcut

Yup stretching before any sporting activity is highly recommended. I stretch every morning before jumping, it really helps cos I am a big guy, but not really that supple. You will be surprised the difference it makes to your jumping. It might even save you a wee sprain or worse.
Okay....
Go to www.skydivemag.com type in 'stretch' in the search window, and check out the stuff in there. There is a good article by Dave Eardley in the Feb 98 issue.
There's also loads of stuff and advice on prepping for training that should help you get the most from your tunnel time.
Enjoy
D.

AggieDave  (D License)

Jan 15, 2002, 12:04 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1030 views)
Shortcut

I do a lot of power lifting and weight lifting. You can try starting with the big 3 and work up from there. You know, Squats, Deadlift and Flat Bench. Well, I guess the only thing that would help with skydiving is your fall rate, actually.

For skydiving, Yoga is the definate way to go, great stretching and muscle toning. If you find that your arms and back are very tired after a day of jumping, then you might want to try some strengthing excersises for your back/shoulders/triceps/biceps. If you want me to, over e-mail I could ask you some questions about your current physical ability and come up with a good work-out routine for you level.

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

skymedic  (C 33561)

Jan 15, 2002, 12:13 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1022 views)
Shortcut

I just started yoga about a month ago...I thought "oh how hard can this stuff be" well my class started with "beginner" stuff....well let me tell you I am afraid of the "intermediate" stuff...I was dead beat after just 45 minutes class....shit....It really is good...but let me tell you even after only 4 weeks of this twice a week...I am MUCH more flexible....and feel more fit too...it really is a good workout...

marc
"...a mind stretched with new idea's will never regain its shape"

weid14  (D 20292)

Jan 15, 2002, 5:25 PM
Post #6 of 12 (984 views)
Shortcut

just remember that stretching a cold muscle is bad! warm up before doing any stretching... light jogging, jumping jacks, whatever it takes to break a slight sweat..

MarkM  (C 35089)

Jan 15, 2002, 8:21 PM
Post #7 of 12 (960 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the advice guys. Found a local Hatha Yoga class and I'll give them a call tomorrow. I needed an extra hobby anyway.

nick  (D 103197)

Jan 16, 2002, 4:53 AM
Post #8 of 12 (937 views)
Shortcut

I've been planning to ask this question too, you've beaten me to it.

Cheers for the info guys.

Nick

RemiAndKaren  (C 2328)

Jan 16, 2002, 4:59 AM
Post #9 of 12 (936 views)
Shortcut

hehehe... you guys are funny... like if skydiving required one to be in good shape! lol

Remi
Muff 914

jfields  (C 33595)

Jan 16, 2002, 5:14 AM
Post #10 of 12 (932 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
like if skydiving required one to be in good shape! lol
Exactly, Remi! What are they thinking, actually working to decrease their aerodynamic efficiency? Smile

Justin

Jessica  (B 25202)

Jan 17, 2002, 12:39 AM
Post #11 of 12 (893 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
and will be starting back up with a 3 day tunnel camp in March.
Hey Mark -- which one? I'm March 7-9.

Pet me! I'm harmless and cute!

MarkM  (C 35089)

Jan 17, 2002, 8:03 AM
Post #12 of 12 (875 views)
Shortcut

I'm the 10-12th.

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)