Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
121 ft/sec

skygod7777  (D 24081)

Oct 14, 2003, 8:36 AM
Post #1 of 17 (739 views)
Shortcut
121 ft/sec Can't Post

that is what my neptune told me i was going coming out of a couple spirals yesterday. this was at about 2000' or 1800' or so.

when i did the math, it came out to 82.5 m/h. if this is right, then i'm thinking i may not do to many big hook turns any more, due to i think my cypres may fire (considering they fire at 78m/h).

when i called SSK about this matter, they told me that the cypres knows when your under canopy, and when your in freefall. but my question is, how does it not know that i didn't cut away (i forgot to ask em)??

and then i was also thinking, well how accurate is the neptune?? does anyone know?

oh ya, they way i figured it up was 121ft/sec x 60 x 60 and then divided by 5280, right??

later

superstu  (D License)

Oct 14, 2003, 8:52 AM
Post #2 of 17 (720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skygod7777] 121 ft/sec [In reply to] Can't Post

did you read skydiving magazine maybe last month or the month before? a guy at skydive oregon tested cypress fires under canopy and he was able to fire one under one of his vx's. if you haven't read it i would definately recommend reading it.

skygod7777  (D 24081)

Oct 14, 2003, 8:58 AM
Post #3 of 17 (714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [superstu] 121 ft/sec [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
did you read skydiving magazine maybe last month or the month before? a guy at skydive oregon tested cypress fires under canopy and he was able to fire one under one of his vx's. if you haven't read it i would definately recommend reading it.

that's what someone said to me yesterday, but for some odd reason my skydiving didn't show up last month.

oh well.

later

Samurai136  (D 26609)

Oct 14, 2003, 12:50 PM
Post #4 of 17 (633 views)
Shortcut

I'd call the Neptune people and ask them how accurate their tool is. How do you know that you were doing 121ft/ sec at that altitude? Is is reading real speed or calculating an average speed. If for some reason you dropped 30ft in 1/4 would that be sufficient for it to conclude you were doing that speed? Is the neptune sensative enought to accurately measure a 30' drop in 1/4 sec?

Probably not.

Other than reading broad averages of speed over freefall distances I doubt the Neptune is any more accurate than a pro-track.

Swoop on...

Ken

Premier ianmdrennan  (D 25821)
Oct 14, 2003, 1:06 PM
Post #5 of 17 (624 views)
Shortcut

While they did prove it was possible to fire a cypres under canopy, the tests were unrealistic as it was from multiple spirals from 4G to 1.5G. Not a realisitic performance landing situation.

Unless you're in the habit of doing 720's or more for landing I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Blue skies
ian

JohnRich  (D License)

Oct 14, 2003, 1:12 PM
Post #6 of 17 (618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [superstu] 121 ft/sec [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
did you read skydiving magazine maybe last month or the month before? a guy at skydive oregon tested cypress fires under canopy and he was able to fire one under one of his vx's.

In addition to that, be sure to read this month's "Skydiving", in which a Cypres spokesman responds to that individual's experiments.

skygod7777  (D 24081)

Oct 14, 2003, 5:51 PM
Post #7 of 17 (542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Samurai136] 121 ft/sec [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I'd call the Neptune people and ask them how accurate their tool is. How do you know that you were doing 121ft/ sec at that altitude? Is is reading real speed or calculating an average speed. If for some reason you dropped 30ft in 1/4 would that be sufficient for it to conclude you were doing that speed? Is the neptune sensative enought to accurately measure a 30' drop in 1/4 sec?

Probably not.

Other than reading broad averages of speed over freefall distances I doubt the Neptune is any more accurate than a pro-track.

well, as far as is it taking an average, or anything like that, i have no idea.

like i said in my original post, i really don't know how accurate it is, but i would like to find out.

later

skygod7777  (D 24081)

Oct 14, 2003, 5:53 PM
Post #8 of 17 (541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ianmdrennan] 121 ft/sec [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Unless you're in the habit of doing 720's or more for landing I doubt you have anything to worry about.

is it a habit, no, but every once in a while, i may bust one out Wink.

and i would prefer to have that option to do that if i want to.

later

Jimbo  (D License)

Oct 14, 2003, 5:55 PM
Post #9 of 17 (538 views)
Shortcut

Quote:

This is getting more and more common at my DZ. Sometimes by world class swoopers, sometimes by amatures, but it is happening.

-
Jim

Oct 14, 2003, 5:58 PM
Post #10 of 17 (537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jimbo] 121 ft/sec [In reply to] Can't Post

Other than the "fun" factor I wonder why they're doing so? They have to be max'ing out earlier than that and also height accuracy has to be quite a challenge.

Guess for those in question the only option is to remove the cypress Tongue.

Blue skies
Ian

Jimbo  (D License)

Oct 14, 2003, 6:03 PM
Post #11 of 17 (535 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Other than the "fun" factor I wonder why they're doing so?

I can't speak for them, but I think it's probably all about the fun. It sure looks fun! Anyhow, regardless of their motives, they're still doing it, it's still happening.

-
Jim

skygod7777  (D 24081)

Oct 14, 2003, 6:15 PM
Post #12 of 17 (528 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Other than the "fun" factor I wonder why they're doing so?

for me, ya, it's just the fun factor.

Quote:
height accuracy has to be quite a challenge.

not really, because you can adjust it all the way through, you look kinda ahead of where your going (like down, and to the right if you hook to the right, between your arm and body). you just keep going until you need to come out. that's how i do it anyway, that and a 1080, now those are fun.

edit: but there's nothing better than doing a phat double front 270 for a nice long swoop.SmileCool

later

(This post was edited by skygod7777 on Oct 14, 2003, 6:16 PM)

Oct 14, 2003, 6:16 PM
Post #13 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jimbo] 121 ft/sec [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
This is getting more and more common at my DZ. Sometimes by world class swoopers, sometimes by amatures, but it is happening.

Just thought of something.....I'm curious, do any of these people jump small canopies and have a cypres? If so how have their experiences been?

Blue skies
Ian

Oct 14, 2003, 6:18 PM
Post #14 of 17 (524 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
that and a 1080, now those are fun

I bet!! Smile!!

My buddy wants to know how you hold the front riser down for so long on a VX (high riser pressure)? Got big forearms Smile..hehe

Blue skies
Ian

skygod7777  (D 24081)

Oct 14, 2003, 6:21 PM
Post #15 of 17 (520 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
My buddy wants to know how you hold the front riser down for so long on a VX (high riser pressure)? Got big forearms

well, let's put it this way, i don't recomend doing them, but if your going to, here's how Wink

it ends up finishing in all harness, but i can get about 540, and if i'm not hung over from the night before, i can get 720.

i start with both, and then end up letting the oposite one up, and then gradually letting the other one up, and finish in harness, with maybe a little bit or rear riser that way too.

rhino  (D 22500)

Oct 14, 2003, 6:54 PM
Post #16 of 17 (510 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I doubt you have anything to worry about

That assumption could kill you in this sport...

Oct 14, 2003, 8:25 PM
Post #17 of 17 (484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rhino] 121 ft/sec [In reply to] Can't Post

True, but until I hear of one firing on landing (there are people loading smaller canopies much more than I) or SSK releasing a statement on my canopy type and wingloading AND doing 720's or more for approach, I won't worry about it.

I'm very curious to hear SSK's response in Skydiving this month.

Blue skies

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)