Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Funneling the exit

rendezvous  (C License)

Jan 11, 2002, 8:10 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Funneling the exit Can't Post

Ok, very basic question but I need to know the exact meaning. What is Funneling the exit.

freeflir29  (D 10000000)

Jan 11, 2002, 8:16 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Re: Funneling the exit [In reply to] Can't Post

A belly fly group exits......usually the front float doesn't present enough and the people exiting from the inside flip over forward because of the speed differential. The entire formation ends up folding up and then it "explodes" as people let go and try to get stable again.

"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

RemiAndKaren  (C 2328)

Jan 11, 2002, 8:23 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1015 views)
Shortcut

It can funnel for a very large number of reason: as you said, F Float doesnt present enought, but also if he present too much, if the people in the door dove too steep or not steep enough, rear float dragging the formation down if they go too early, front person in the door not presenting their upperbody.... you name it!

I think the reason its called a funnel is due to the shape of the chaos that follows: you end up with people pilling one of top of each other in the middle typicaly, and then they drop, creating a "funnel like" shape.

Remi
Muff 914

Albatross  (D 32026)

Jan 11, 2002, 3:53 PM
Post #4 of 10 (955 views)
Shortcut

Bottom line is that a Funnel is an exit that ends up bad: Splits apart or has one or more people not belly to earth.

God bless us and God Bless America
Albatross

lazerq3  (C -34113)

Jan 11, 2002, 5:07 PM
Post #5 of 10 (949 views)
Shortcut

Although I have been in a couple funnels , that was actually pretty fun!!!! Not that I would want to make a habit outof it though.

jason

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Jan 11, 2002, 5:49 PM
Post #6 of 10 (943 views)
Shortcut

Actually you can have a funnel other than on exit... like when someone docks hard on a larger RW formation and one whole side of the formation goes down the drain...

Not that that's ever happened to me of course Wink

pull and flare,
lisa
--
"Where's my beer?" - Al Stephens

tigra  (C 27417)

Jan 11, 2002, 7:10 PM
Post #7 of 10 (933 views)
Shortcut

or when someone flies under the formation and steals the air.
There's lots of ways to funnel formations.

skymedic  (C 33561)

Jan 12, 2002, 12:15 PM
Post #8 of 10 (912 views)
Shortcut

Well as Harry Parker of the Melon Heads says.....Funnel starts with the word FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................

marc
"...a mind stretched with new idea's will never regain its shape"

brokeneagle  (D 27414)

Jan 12, 2002, 12:47 PM
Post #9 of 10 (911 views)
Shortcut

Funneling is sometimes unavoidable with groups of low/high experience jumpers, and sometimes done on purpose to topple a "skygod" from his/her self-imposed pedestal-- FYI, in politically correct terms, a funneled jump is aka a "zoo load". In street skydiver, a FUBAR, and in gutter terms, the name "cluster fuck" has been seen in a few logbooks.... no matter the name, let's keep the "fun" in the occasional dive that doesn't go as planned....
Brokeneagle.

<shrug, grin, innocent look> I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Jan 12, 2002, 5:48 PM
Post #10 of 10 (894 views)
Shortcut

>I think the reason its called a funnel is due to the shape of the chaos that follows: you end up with people pilling one
>of top of each other in the middle typicaly, and then they drop, creating a "funnel like" shape.

On large dives, it can look very much like a funnel. It's especially eerie when you have 100 people in the air and someone takes out someone else some distance from you. You see people falling out of the skydive, and you know there's a big problem headed your way, but you can't see or feel anything until it gets within 2-3 people of you.

-bill von

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)