Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Teardrop super fly....well does it?

Zoter

Oct 9, 2003, 1:34 AM
Post #1 of 16 (934 views)
Shortcut
Teardrop super fly....well does it? Can't Post

Hi guys and gals...
Im looking at 'gettin my first rig.....I have been around and around the houses....had a look at a few..2nd hand but have not really found anything I 'like' so far.
So...looks like Im going to buy new (NOOOO! I hear you all cry !)......but I have the means and am gonna ...so there !
Im looking at a Teardrop Superfly....with ZP215 main and 220Raven reserve (...cause Im a newbie...am 6ft 2inch and 200lbs before I suit up)

Any body got any reviews...points...comments on this rig?....good or bad I appreciate all the comments !

BTW Im still 'gettin comfortable in the air....but down the line Im looking at FF and RW being the araes I'd like to concentrate on.

Thanks all!

Chrisky

Oct 9, 2003, 1:43 AM
Post #2 of 16 (922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zoter] Teardrop super fly....well does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Teardrop SF is an excellent container.
Some people prefer it, among other things, because of the Poptop of the reserve lying outside.
Never heard anything bad about it.Smile
Didn't ever jump one otoh...

jmidgley  (C 103474)

Oct 9, 2003, 1:49 AM
Post #3 of 16 (920 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Any body got any reviews...points...comments on this rig?....good or bad I appreciate all the comments !

Thanks all!

I've had one since April, bought new from TSE. I've found the company to be very helpful, the container is well made and it arrived on time. It's hard to think of too much to say about it really; it does exactly what's needed. It's very comfortable, but then it's made to measure, so it should be. It looks neat - no bulges or wrinkles. Shiny stainless hardware looks cool.

I haven't had any occasion to regret buying one.

HTH
John

iam  (D License)

Oct 9, 2003, 1:56 AM
Post #4 of 16 (915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chrisky] Teardrop super fly....well does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great rig, just don't let the skydiving snobs put you off.Tongue

Zoter

Oct 9, 2003, 1:59 AM
Post #5 of 16 (910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [iam] Teardrop super fly....well does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Dont let the snobs put you off...."??

Whaddya mean ..?Unsure

bgy8nas  (B License)

Oct 9, 2003, 2:05 AM
Post #6 of 16 (906 views)
Shortcut

Have jumped my clubs superfly for the last 30 jumps, was excellent so have just bought a new one. They are a good company to deal with, Chris Thomas was very helpful plus they are reasonably priced and have a fast delivery time.

If you can get to the factory at Brid it would be well worth it, to have a look at materials and colours and get some design tips.

n

Shivon  (E License)

Oct 9, 2003, 2:06 AM
Post #7 of 16 (905 views)
Shortcut

Excellent rig, from what I hear. Two friends of mine (a rigger, and an AFF instructor) have the SF. Both recommend it.

gus

Oct 9, 2003, 2:29 AM
Post #8 of 16 (898 views)
Shortcut

I've had an SF for the last 200 jumps, I had an Atom before that. When I come to replace it I doubt I will buy another one, I would rather save for a bit longer and buy something else. They're safe and pretty well made but when I saw some Vector 3s recently you could see and feel the difference in build quality. On the one occasion that I spoke to Chris Thomas he was not very friendly or helpful. Perhaps I'm being unfair but TSE strikes me as a company that will follow rather than lead in terms of gear safety and innovation.

Gus

Premier Remster  (C License)

Oct 9, 2003, 6:48 AM
Post #9 of 16 (839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gus] Teardrop super fly....well does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

When living in England, had to opportunity to see plenty, and it looks like a fine rig. It does have a pop top, which is either liked or disliked as a feature.

If you would prefer a non-pop-top rig on the same design, look at the Paratek (Germany) Next container which is also made under license by TSE (from what I recall, may be wrong) .

dragon2  (D 101989)

Oct 9, 2003, 7:02 AM
Post #10 of 16 (834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Remster] Teardrop super fly....well does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
If you would prefer a non-pop-top rig on the same design, look at the Paratek (Germany) Next container which is also made under license by TSE (from what I recall, may be wrong) .

Actually its Paratec, http://www.paratec.de/. Seen some of their rigs around, theyre okay. Not sure if TSE makes them, the paratec website says its a german product. Anyway I like the new Aerodyne container better, but I havent compared prices.

Teardrops are okay too, but at least our rigger charges more for repacking a pop-top (not Javelins).

iam  (D License)

Oct 9, 2003, 8:17 AM
Post #11 of 16 (815 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
"Dont let the snobs put you off...."??

Whaddya mean ..?Unsure

I had one for a year and the amount of comments and sneers I had to put up with about it "not being a Javelin"

Keep in mind both rigs, the TSF and the Javelin, were both designed by the same guy

riggermick  (D 17071)

Oct 9, 2003, 9:04 AM
Post #12 of 16 (801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [iam] Teardrop super fly....well does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep in mind both rigs, the TSF and the Javelin, were both designed by the same guy
That explains why I've never seen Mike Fury and Chris Thomas at a party together...............They're the same guy!!!!

You gotta admit it's a great trick being on both sides of the Atlantic at the same time.

Mick.

HeatherB  (B License)

Oct 9, 2003, 10:02 AM
Post #13 of 16 (782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggermick] Teardrop super fly....well does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

We need a published "family tree" of the manufacturers. Incestuous little group they are!

Mike co-designed the Javelin then went off to make the Dolphin, maybe that's where the confusion is.

And of course Henri Pohjolainen co-designed the Javelin, then went off to make the Wings.

And those Thomas boys, well, they're just nutty. Wink

meatbomb  (D 100967)

Oct 10, 2003, 3:18 AM
Post #14 of 16 (727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dragon2] Teardrop super fly....well does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Teardrops are okay too, but at least our rigger charges more for repacking a pop-top (not Javelins).

Hehe....A Teardrop 1-Pin Pop-Top is probably the easiest rig on the market to close...
Having said that, 2-Pin Pop-Tops of all descriptions are a complete pain in the arse! Tongue

PS I love my Teardrop SF, easily the best value rig on the market. Smile
(Price starts at 625 (That's sub $1000 for all you yanks out there...)

Ru.

Danne  (D License)

Oct 10, 2003, 7:37 AM
Post #15 of 16 (703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meatbomb] Teardrop super fly....well does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

>>Hehe....A Teardrop 1-Pin Pop-Top is probably the easiest rig on the market to close...
Quote:

Please telll my your tricks, I must be doing somthing really wrong on those.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Oct 10, 2003, 8:32 AM
Post #16 of 16 (693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Danne] Teardrop super fly....well does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
>>Hehe....A Teardrop 1-Pin Pop-Top is probably the easiest rig on the market to close...
Quote:

Please telll my your tricks, I must be doing somthing really wrong on those.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hint: start by throwing your steel T-bodkins in the rubbish bin.
Second step, use a bit of Cypres cord and a lump of scrap iron to tie up a temporary loop. Lazy riggers fingertrap and sew a Cypres pull-up cord to the temporary loop.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)