Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
**Newbie Looking for chute and training**

jphillips2000

Oct 5, 2003, 5:28 PM
Post #1 of 4 (728 views)
Shortcut
**Newbie Looking for chute and training** Can't Post

I made a tandem jump this summer and it has spurred me into seriously considering buying a chute and becoming certified and I was wondering if you could tell me ballpark costs. Should I consider buying a used chute? How can I find out more about the different types of chutes? Do you need a separate certification to pack chutes? Essentially, I am trying to find a good source of information (websites, books, etc.) about solo skydiving so I can make more informed choices. Any help would be great.

Jimbo  (D License)

Oct 5, 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #2 of 4 (712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jphillips2000] **Newbie Looking for chute and training** [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Should I consider buying a used chute?

You shouldn't consider buying ANYTHING right now, except more skydives. Finish your dropzone's student program, make a few more jumps, and then think about buying gear. Now isn't the time.

-
Jim

Aviatrr  (D 27349)

Oct 5, 2003, 5:36 PM
Post #3 of 4 (711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jphillips2000] **Newbie Looking for chute and training** [In reply to] Can't Post

Go to your local DZ and inquire about an AFF course. Don't even consider buying any gear before you have taken at least a portion of the course - and then talk to your instructors about what would be good for you. The DZ will supply all the gear you need for your student jumps.

Find a list of DZ's at http://www.uspa.org/dz/index.htm .

Mike

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Oct 5, 2003, 5:37 PM
Post #4 of 4 (711 views)
Shortcut

You can expect to pay between US$3500 - 5500 for a complete all new rig; price will vary depending on which harness/container you choose and which options you put on it, which brand and size main canopy you get, which brand and size reserve canopy you get, and whether or not you put an AAD in it.

Used prices vary from US$1500 or less for older, non-AAD equipped gear to US$4000 for almost new, AAD equipped gear with all the bells and whistles.

Start your research in the Gear section of this website. Check out manufacturer's websites. Don't buy a rig until you are close to getting your A license.

Check out the Safety area of this website for information about getting from your first jump to an A license. I highly recommend the books "Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook" by Dan Poynter and Mike Turoff and "Jump" by Tom Buchanan; both are available from most of the online skydiving equipment dealers or possibly at your local dz.

Learning to pack your main is part of getting your A license.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)